PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick - Weaknesses Of The Great One

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Belichick is the best coach in the modern era. For the last 11 years, we have at least tied for the division EVERY YEAR. The overall talent of the team has been maintained as different units are re-invented and re-stocked each year.

But every team has weaknesses. What are those of Belichick?

1) THE UNWILLINGNESSES TO BRING IN TOP COACHES OR PAY TO KEEP THEM

Belichick is the developer of coaches. That's fine. However, do you all think that we have the top set of coaches and coordinators in the nfl or even close? Dante has chosen not to go. He is awesome. Belichick cannot do it all. He no longer tries. He has learned to delegate. There needs to be better quality coaches to delegate to.

I think that we need more coaches and better coaches.

2) DRAFTING AND DEVELOPING WIDE RECEIVERS
I guess that this isn't an issue as long as Josh can work with the vets that are brought in. Belichick has chosen to have an annual veteran wide receivers tryout. However, it would seem that at least occasionally we would draft and develop a wide receiver. Edelman is the closest we've come.

3) *** SECURING, DRAFTING AND DEVELOPING DEFENSIVE BACKS ****

3a) The combination of college SCOUTING AND DRAFTING secondary talent has been monumentally unsuccessful. There are many ways to secure talent. Belichick has chose the draft as the way to find defensive players. We need to draft better talent. Perhaps, the strategy of believing that top corners and safeties is found after pick 20 is flawed. Perhaps we need to trade up.

3b) We use lots of our top draft choices on talent, some generally accepted as top talent, some thought to be mid-level talent. It is the coaching job to develop players. We can develop offensive, lineman, running backs, defensive linemen and linebackers. Why can't we DEVELOP defensive backs. What is the system for development. Do we have enough coaches? Are they good enough? In any game, it the players fault for not executing. In the long run, top coaching will develop better players than mediocre talent. Much is made of the fear teams have of Belichick's coaching. Perhaps, he need to put his arrogance aside and hire better help. Alternatively, he should spend lots of time in the trenches as secondary coach, training the coaches and the players.

3c) Perhaps we need to spend some money on higher value (priced) FREE AGENTS. If, as for wide receivers, we are unable to draft and develop talent, perhaps we need to buy it. This is an expensive choice, but it can work. Perhaps, we need to bring in more and better mid-level free agents or old vets. Otis Smith and Leigh Bodden come to mind. Gregory might actually fit this bill.

BOTTOM LINE
I think that we are now addressing the quality of safety reasonably well. It is really difficult to find safety talent. Obviously, getting rid of Sanders and Meriweather early has haunted us. HOWEVER, Wilson is a major addition. Gregory is an OK addition. Chung is not a keeper, but he is not a bottom of the barrel safety either. For next year, we'll bring in a couple of safeties to compete with Gregory and Ebner. This transition is in good shape talentwise. Coaching is another issue entirely. And yes, Moore is an OK emergency safety.

At corner, we don't know where we are. Obviously, the addition of a shut-down corner would make this a much better unit; but that is true of every team. Arrington is OK as a fine backup #4 corner and dime. I think that the question for 2012 is the development of Dennard and Dowling. McCourty, Dennard and Dowling are not anywhere near an average set of corners, but they could be good enough by year's end.

Last edited:
Re: Belichick - Weakness Of The Great One

The inability to get a FG before the half rests squarely on Bill and the inability to score at least another FG in the second half rests squarely on Tom for throwing yet another pick in the endzone. I think this week we finally saw that they have each lost a little bit off their fastball.

I'd guess that not bringing in talented coaches has more to do with Kraft's unwillingness to open the purse strings for coaches (other than the head coach of course) than it does with Belichick....that's the reason the Pats promote all these no name guys from within - because they're cheap

The inability to get a FG before the half rests squarely on Bill and the inability to score at least another FG in the second half rests squarely on Tom for throwing yet another pick in the endzone. I think this week we finally saw that they have each lost a little bit off their fastball.

I think they're bored

Yes, common sense indicates that they, as would anyone getting older, have lost something off of their "fastball." The problem is their, or at least Bill's, inability to accept it, and adjust accordingly. For Bill, he needs to say to himself, "ok, maybe the game has changed a bit, and my plug in any jag and succeed strategy won't work with my tried and true scheme anymore." In this case, he needs to accept that money needs to be spent on a true, skilled, veteran presence.

As for Tom, we can still win big with him obviously. But he, and the coaching staff, need to recognize that we aren't going to win much with him slinging in excess of 40-50 times a game. For one, he has gotten older, his legs aren't as mobile as they once were, and I think he has lost a touch of accuracy/arm strength. I also think he has lost a little confidence when it comes to trying to throw a dart to the far sidelines.

When they were really winning, he wasn't the entire offense. This team is still capable of winning, but it needs to be with the Brady role of 03-04, not 07-12. He was never a Peyton Manning gun slinger to begin with, so why not return to what got us there before. The funny thing is, The Bills game, and the Broncos game made me think we had returned there. Only to have McDaniels tell us that they essentially never planned to run against Seattle all week.

I saw more balls in the dirt than fastballs in the Seattle rain.
Players make plays…and players the caliber of TB are given authority to run 2-minute offenses and use timeouts at their discretion. Why BB has to come running 30 yards downfield to get a TO at the end of the 2nd half as Brady burns 20 seconds off the clock in the redzone is beyond me. I expect more from TB these "situational football" moments.

With decent DBs, not necessarily good DBs but just decent ones, the FGs would not have mattered. Think bigger.

I saw more balls in the dirt than fastballs in the Seattle rain.
Players make plays…and players the caliber of TB are given authority to run 2-minute offenses and use timeouts at their discretion. Why BB has to come running 30 yards downfield to get a TO at the end of the 2nd half as Brady burns 20 seconds off the clock in the redzone is beyond me. I expect more from TB these "situational football" moments.
They were fast balls into the dirt, the pass that was intercepted in the end zone was thrown To hard. BUT TB has been around to long to make mistakes with clock management and time outs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes