PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick: The Pats' Coach-to-QB communications system didn't work [mergedx3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFaninAZ

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
To be fair, I'll say the same thing I said when other teams claimed they lost their coach to QB audio system... tell the officials!

All you have to do is tell the officials, they'll call an officials time out, take the audio system away from both teams, and both sides will be without their audio system until it's been fixed.

That's not right. There is no rule ever requiring a team to turn off their coach to QB communication just because the other team has it out.

I think you're thinking of the rule that says that if the communication from the coaching box in the stadium to the sideline goes out that the other team has to turn theirs off.

Belichick: The Pats' communications system didn't work [merged]

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2007/11/coachtoqb_syste.html

November 5, 2007
Coach-to-QB system
By Mike Reiss, Globe Staff

FOXBOROUGH -- Here is some of the Q&A from Bill Belichick's press conference today regarding the team not being able to utilize its coach-to-quarterback system in Sunday's game against the Colts:

Did you notice any irregularities with the crowd noise? There is a report out there [on ProFootballTalk.com] that the Colts might have pumped in crowd noise.
"We definitely had a lot of problems with the coach-to-quarterback. We basically didn't have a coach-to-quarterback operation, so we had to signal in all the plays, which is unusual. But that's the way it was. What all was going on, I can't tell you. But I can tell you, from a functional standpoint, the coach-to-quarterback was basically useless."

But you didn't feel the crowd noise was ...
"Again, it's always loud. It's definitely loud when you're behind by 10 points, I can tell you that."

You must plan for that, like going to a generator when the lights go out. How much time do you put into that every week for when that system is not an option?
"We have to go to a signaling system, or let the quarterback call his own plays. Those are your two options. It would be one of those two things. You always have to be prepared for that. You never know when something is going to happen, something will malfunction, or whatever. We ended up with that, and we were basically in that mode the whole game."

By rule, did the Colts have to stop using their communication system as well?
"No. The headset rule is if you don't have communication with the press box, then you call the officials over and you tell them that -- 'we don't have communication with the press box.' Then the official says 'you guys take off all your headsets' and then goes to the other sideline and says 'you guys take off all your headsets.' At some point, on a touchback, or a change of possession or something, they'll come back and check with the sideline and if the technician says 'we think we have this straightened out' -- because they're testing it -- then they'll say [let's try it again]. If either side would have a breakdown -- let's say you put them back on for a series or two series or whatever, and you call the officials over and say 'it still isn't working.' And he'll say 'if yours aren't working, you have to take yours off, and they have to take theirs off.' That's what that is. It has nothing to do with coach-to-quarterback. That's a whole separate thing. ... It's independent."

Did you have communication with the press box?
"That was no problem. The problem was the quarterback hearing the plays from the sideline. And if you can't hear them, then you have to find another way to get the play into the quarterback."

Posted By: mreiss | Time: 12:40:56 PM

Crowd noise potentially being piped in, the Pats' communications system down. Maybe this could turn into a big scandal.

Re: Coach to Quarterback

BB just stated during his press conference that they had no coach to QB communication during most of the game. Since it has been inferred that the Pats were cheating when this happened in Foxboro then it must mean the Colts were cheating here as well as pumping in crowd noise.

I though the coach could say something to the refs and the other team has to stop using there coach to QB communication.

I though the coach could say something to the refs and the other team has to stop using there coach to QB communication.

same thing i was thinking...so did BB take the high road and still allow peyton and dungy to communicate? which could be considered foolish?

or did peyton also not have contact....???

That is only with the press box/co-ordinator radio system. Coach to QB you are just screwed and forced to go with signals or let the QB call the plays.

Wow, that explains why during one part of the game I kept seeing Brady looking to Josh on the sidelines and Josh just threw his hands up in the air a couple of times, I thought Josh was saying "I don't know what to say, I can't figure out a good play" or something, apparently he was saying "I don't know why you can't hear me!"

Well then this explains one of the key sequences in the game:

Pats have the ball around the Colts 40 with 1:50 or so to go inthe 1st half and a 7-6 lead. I say at that point "Don't score too fast - - we have the ball to open the second half". Right then Brady for some #$@^ed reason throws a bomb to a completely covered Stallworth for an Antoine Bethea INT.

This, of course, give Manning 1:30+ to get the Colts in position for a score before the half - - which he DOESN"T, but still allows Addai to run a few circles around our tired D for a 73 yard TD.

So at worst, 7-6 (and perhaps 10-6) Patriots at the half was turned into 13-7 Colts.

Had the Pats lost, that one bad decision would have been pointed to as the key in the game.

Pats have the ball around the Colts 40 with 1:50 or so to go in the 1st half and a 7-6 lead. I say at that point "Don't score too fast - - we have the ball to open the second half". Right then Brady for some #$@^ed reason throws a bomb to a completely covered Stallworth for an Antoine Bethea INT.

This, of course, give Manning 1:30+ to get the Colts in position for a score before the half - - which he DOESN"T, but still allows Addai to run a few circles around our tired D for a 73 yard TD.

So at worst, 7-6 (and perhaps 10-6) Patriots at the half was turned into 13-7 Colts.

Had the Pats lost, that one bad decision would have been pointed to as the key in the game.

Pats have the ball around the Colts 40 with 1:50 or so to go in the 1st half and a 7-6 lead. I say at that point "Don't score too fast - - we have the ball to open the second half". Right then Brady for some #$@^ed reason throws a bomb to a completely covered Stallworth for an Antoine Bethea INT.

It was mentioned during the game that Brady had to run to the sidelines several times to communicate with Josh.

Belichick noted in the press confrence that the only time the other team has to shut their headsets off is if the coach cannot communicate with the press box. Otherwise it is the team's problem to deal with.

Wow, that explains why during one part of the game I kept seeing Brady looking to Josh on the sidelines and Josh just threw his hands up in the air a couple of times, I thought Josh was saying "I don't know what to say, I can't figure out a good play" or something, apparently he was saying "I don't know why you can't hear me!"

ha ha! i saw this too, i was seriously worried at that point, thought even our OC didnt know what to do

Re: Belichick: The Pats' communications system didn't work

Take away the Colts' first! What a bunch of hypocrites.

by the way, this is the first time I can EVER remember BB saying that our communication equipment wasnt working. I mean you know this isnt the first time it happened, but this is the first time he has ever made it public. He must really want the Colts to get in some trouble

Whoa! This is not how I thought our bye week would start.

The media will ignore this just like they do everything else that doesn't reflect poorly on the Pats.

To be fair, I'll say the same thing I said when other teams claimed they lost their coach to QB audio system... tell the officials!

All you have to do is tell the officials, they'll call an officials time out, take the audio system away from both teams, and both sides will be without their audio system until it's been fixed.

Edit: According to BB telling the officials about you're problems doesn't apply to the coach-to-QB system, and just the pressbox-to-Sideline system. Seems I wasn't the only one confused either, as some reporters asked him the same thing I was thinking "why didn't you tell the refs".

This taints Dungy's reputation. He should forfeit all profits from his book, "Quiet Strength." Perhaps, he should re-name it "Audio Manipulation."

Last edited:

Belichick reiterated on the Big Show that this WAS a technical issue and was NOT just about crowd noise.

When asked, "so there was no technical problem", BB responded with something like "no, there was"...asked to explain, he said "static and that sort of thing, just couldn't hear."

Smerlas responded with a classic "did that static sound like Bill Polian's voice?" :D Big O quickly changed the subject as he obviously didn't want to get BB in the league's dog house.

But this much is clear: there was a TECHNICAL issue with the McD-Brady communication during the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes