PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick Takes High Road on Miami Getting Audio Tape

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to say it again,

Not half as much as we hate to read it again, for the thousanth time.
Reminds me of a senile old guy I knew who kept repeating and repeating himself time and again.

I hate to say it again, but continuing to do something that is not working, and expecting a different result, is insanity.

Then again, doing something different just for the sake of doing something different and expecting better results, is simply "superstition".

Re: On the audible signal theft by Miami...

I really don't think this is that big of a deal. I can't imagine a team memorizing all of an opponents audibles in a week. Maybe you key in on a few to ID, and focus on those, but there must be over 100 in any offense's playbook.

Again, like Brady said, I think Miami sort of puffed their chests out with an "Aren't we so smart" attitude, but I highly doubt it fully affected the outcome of the game.

NEM, may be our O coaching stuff gave the signals to Miami.....

It was 6-0 at halftime. The Pats should blame themselves for such an inept offense. It got worst when the Fins knew the pats had to speed things up when they were down two scores and started teeing off on them.

I think this is overly inflated.

the offense was inept.

Iwas just talking to my brother in law in Middleboro. he has played a lot of football in his time,and he said that the people there are really pissed about this theft of audible signals. Thoughts?

I think I could not care less what people in Middleboro think.

I do care what BB thinks. And Brady thinks. Maybe they know more about football than your relatives. Just maybe. They have both said it's no big deal.

I disagree completely. If what yu are doing is not working, why the hell would anyone intheir right mind continue to do it? That is idiocy of the highest kind.

Really? You've been complaining about the Patriots' offensive coordinators since at least the time of Weis from what I hear. They haven't been fired, so what you're doing is not working. Yet, you continue to do it. I believe that you called that type of behavior idiocy of the highest kind.....

I take opffense to your saying that middle school players grasp thing that I dont. How come you dont grasp what I am saying, which by the way makes a lot of sense and is quite logical.

I take offense at your utter inability to grasp the simplest concepts in football, such as using the run to wear down an opponent even if it doesn't produce immediate and visible dividends. And, for the record, your claim to make a lot of sense is about as valid as the claim of the scientists who touted a cold fusion breakthrough. As I said, middle school players understand football better than you seem to.

At least try something else, then if it doesnt work, yu can at least say you tried it, but to not even change, to not even adjust, that is pure ignorance. Sorry, but thats the facts.

To the best of my knowledge, no Patriots' offensive coordinator under Belichick has ever played an entire game calling the exact same play every time. They do change it up, it's just not successful because this team's offensive personnel isn't very good or cohesive. Are you really so unable to understand why this team struggles, when they've got a interior consisting of rookies and second year players, players coming back from season ending injuries and tight ends and running backs who can't stay healthy? Are you really unable to understand that this team doesn't have a single receiver right now who can take a WR screen and juke 6 players for the touchdown? Does it go beyond your ken to think that the result of such situations is an inability to to the following:

1.) ram the ball down the opponents' throat and always gain positive yards

2.) take short gains and break them for big plays often enough to scare opponents.

3.) go over the middle without fear of stone handed receivers coughing up the ball?

That leaves only passes deep and to the sideline, and means that the run will be inconsistent. Trying to put the ball in the middle is a recipe for disaster with this receiving corps. And, that's pretty much what we've seen all season. The game plan is dictated by the personnel. The problem is that the personnel's not all that good.

They do change it up, it's just not successful because this team's offensive personnel isn't very good or cohesive.

The game plan is dictated by the personnel. The problem is that the personnel's not all that good.

Excellent points. With this personnel, our success on offense depends on how effective the original gameplan is. Against Minnesota, Green Bay and Chicago we moved the ball effectively from the start and had good offensive games. When the gameplan isn't working (see Denver, Miami) we're pretty much screwed and you see horrible trick play calls because unfortunately, that is our best chance of adjusting and having success.

Excellent points. With this personnel, our success on offense depends on how effective the original gameplan is. Against Minnesota, Green Bay and Chicago we moved the ball effectively from the start and had good offensive games. When the gameplan isn't working (see Denver, Miami) we're pretty much screwed and you see horrible trick play calls because unfortunately, that is our best chance of adjusting and having success.

I disagree about the 'horrible trick play call' at Miami. The call was brilliant. It worked. Unfortunately, Faulk could not keep his head under fire and threw the opening pass WAY forward of where Brady was correctly standing. The problem was execution. The call was opportune. Kudos to the OC there.

Weis was also known for trick plays, many called at inopportune moments.

Last edited:
When did i ever say that I know the game better than BB? This is a fan forum, and I, along with many,many other fans post what we believe, and what we think is the problem, if in fact there is a problem.

That being said, do all these other posters who have come in here with THEIR perspective on what is happening on the field right now, do they think they know more than BB too, and why dont you question their qualifications?
Because none of them completely disagree with what Belichick is doing as much as you (maybe a few do, but they're no better than you). On one hand, we have Belichick believing that McDaniels is a good OC, on the other hand we have you saying he isn't. Hmm, let me think who has more credibility...

Why? Because my name is NEM, and its so easy for you to fall in line with some of the others, who by the way, have THEIR opinions why we are having offensive problems, and they have their ideas as to how to corrct it. Why havent you asked them if they think they know more than BB?
You create your own reputation, I have no problem with the letters N-E-M, I have a problem with the know-it-all behind them

And, just for the record, there is absolutely no wayof knowing if I, you, or any other poster in this forum knows more than BB does, or could do a better job, because none of us will ever get the cance to find out, will we?
Go ahead and dream, NEM. But in the meantime, you have about 40 years less experience coaching, and the chances of you knowing as much as Belichick are the same chances of me winning $1,000,000 today. Statisticly they're not 0, but for all practical purposes they are.

Could I, or you, or anyone else in this forum be one of those persons? I dont know. But who is to say that it couldnt be factual?
Decades of coaching experience in the NFL is what it takes. On one hand, you say McDaniels is underqualified, but on the other hand you say that you might be qualified? Lol.

My thoughts, my opinions, etc. are no different, nor any more, or any less valid than anyone elses, including yours.
No question there, I'm also just a fan, you only make yourself look crazy when you pretend you know as much as the people involved in the situations.

I disagree about the 'horrible trick play call' at Miami. The call was brilliant. It worked. Unfortunately, Faulk could not keep his head under fire and threw the opening pass WAY forward of where Brady was correctly standing. The problem was execution. The call was opportune. Kudos to the OC there.

That's basically my argument against the knee-jerk adjustments to the playcalling. We couldn't execute the gameplan and we couldn't even execute a trick play as designed.

That's why I think those trick play calls are horrible- the play MUST be executed perfectly. We were lucky to only have a penalty on the play, and not Brady knocked out of the game or turning the ball over. The Pats aren't last year's Steelers- we can't pull off on of those plays to save ourselves. Even flea-flickers have been unsuccessful this year.

I really don't think it's asking too much for a seasoned NFL vet to throw a flea flicker 1st pass backwards.

I really don't think it's asking too much for a seasoned NFL vet to throw a flea flicker 1st pass backwards.

My feeling on the play is that it was meant to be a run by Brady, with Graham upfield to block. When Brady had nowhere to go from behind the LOS, he decided to toss the ball instead.

We could say the same thing about scoring points or not turning the ball over 3 times a game, but as we're finding out all of these are easier said than done.

My feeling on the play is that it was meant to be a run by Brady, with Graham upfield to block. When Brady had nowhere to go from behind the LOS, he decided to toss the ball instead.

If so, which I seriously doubt, then Brady was really stupid to throw the ball and incur the penalty rather than take a knee for a short gain on a poorly designed run after catch play. Note that Brady was lined up deep, not forward as he could and should be if it were a designed run after catch. Brady took several steps fwd and made a 1 handed catch on that play.

If so, which I seriously doubt, then Brady was really stupid to throw the ball and incur the penalty rather than take a knee for a short gain on a poorly designed run after catch play. Note that Brady was lined up deep, not forward as he could and should be if it were a designed run after catch. Brady took several steps fwd and made a 1 handed catch on that play.
Which is why I grumped about Tommy's situational awareness on that play.

I must complement the many lucid posts responding to repetitive drivel in this thread. Bravo! A special thumbs up to DI for an enjoyable reference to middle school scholars.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I have the wrong impression (I haven't gone back and looked at the tape) ... but my impression was that the play was partly a victim of timing - I think the ball should have come out to Brady sooner. And my other impression is that is was partly that Brady was antsy and didn't stay back like he should have and kept inching forward waiting for the ball instead of staying put where he should have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes