PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick speaks re: QBs taking chances in practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyFTW!

Goodell sucks
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This is actually from yesterday, but I haven't seen it discussed here yet. I don't have a whole lot to say on the matter, but just thought that it was an interesting take, and definitely warrants a read:

Belichick encourages Pats passers to take chances - Boston.com

General jist of it is this quote from Belichick:

"I would say every (quarterback) that I've coached -- particularly one that I've coached here for a long time -- we talk about that all the time," Belichick said. "You can always make the safe throw and just take the easy throw then that's OK. But at some point, you're going to have to do more than that and you better know what you can do and what you can't do.

Last edited:
I thought I heard Brady talking about this subject yesterday too, saying we have to make mistakes in practice to know what we can and cant do come game time, makes sense.

I think if you are going to link to a particular outlet the Globe unfortunately isn't the one to unless they are the only one with the information since they are now a paid subscription site. Curran was actually the guy who asked the question.

Belichick defends Mallett's camp miscues

And there was a lot more to the response than just mistakes in practice are OK. Taking chances is one thing. The caveat is you learn from your mistakes. Repeating poor decisions or bad throws/angles/route adjustments, etc. is never a good thing in practice let alone in game.

I thought it was equally interesting that BB kind of leveled a dig at the armchair crowd.

On Wednesday, we asked Bill Belichick for more context. Bad throws and slow decisions aren't good, but what observers -- like the media -- don't know is the circumstances surrounding plays that go bad.

Is it something new to the player? Did something else break down somewhere else that impacted the play? Was the decision good and the execution bad or vice versa? Belichick stressed that those are important variables to consider.

"What you look for is the overall execution by whatever player it is of his assignment, technique, and what happens on the play," Belichick explained. "And as some people like to do, every touchdown is a great play, every interception is the quarterbacks fault. And unfortunately that's just not really the way it works. Sometimes we score in spite of ourselves, and sometimes quarterbacks do the right thing and there are breakdowns somewhere else.

I think he would tell you the same thing happens with backs and receivers and linemen and on defense...

With the all 22 coming that is something to remain mindful of. We still won't know what was supposed to happen so we can only guess what went wrong when something bad does. And when something good happens sometimes it's still the result of a bad play or execution and just random luck it worked out. He'll take it but he won't necessarily like it and he will still want it fixed. Random doesn't fly here for good reason...it's randomness can't be counted on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back