PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick ripped team today - if he did that on this site, he would be called whiner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Belichick ripped team today - if he did that on this site, he would be called whi

Belichick showed the team many clips of various players missing assignments and making errors. He ripped them for 45 minutes - saying they need to improve.

Need to improve?? How dare BB rip the Patriots!

Re: Belichick ripped team today - if he did that on this site, he would be called whi

Many fans tend to rip opinions they don't agree with... Hypothetically speaking, if Belichick posted anonymously on this board about areas that need improvement he would be ripped by some... same goes for Tomlin on a Steelers board or any coach for that matter. If they knew it was the coach himself they would agree with it, however, if not they'll rip it. That's just the way some people are.

Does anyone disagree with that? If a new poster started a thread about areas that need improvement would he be bashed by many? I think he would... no matter who he was or how intelligent his post is.

P.S. Just to clarify, I'm talking about fans in general, not this board in particular.

I think people are more open to debating performance when there's a bit of effort put in. Most criticism tends to be fairly generic, like "Maroney dances too much", or "Asante gets picks, but he also gets beat deep a lot" (which I think is the most bizarre assertion I've heard this year). It's really hard to debate stuff like that, so it inevitably results in pretty poor threads.

If someone, as I'm quite sure Belichick did today, shows specific examples of Maroney dancing, or of the oline getting pushed backwards, I've no doubt people would welcome the effort and the opinion.

I tried to be BB a few days ago when i criticized Pats performance and I was lectured by some members here.

let see if what BB said today will improve the score this Sun. I expect a running score and 2 new records from Tom and Randy this Sun.

i won't be happy if i don't see 5 TDs this Sun.

I have a feeling Belichick's 45 minutes didn't consist of : Maroney is a bust. Meriweather is a bust. Watson sucks. Thomas is a disappointment. That's whining. And you can bet that's NOT what Belichick did.

Exactly BF - big difference.

With that said, the idead that any fan's criticism is comparable to Belichick's or a professional football player is ridiculous. You are talking about a head coach (arguably the smartest in the NFL) providing constructive criticism to his team based on his NFL experience. The fact that team members are self-critical is also understandable (and desirable) as it indicates a desire to improve performance.

The word 'fan' is derived from 'fanatics', so there is some merit to the kool-aid notion in that you ardently support your team. With that said, I suspect most intelligent posters love a good debate on the players and game. It is not, however, "chugging the kool-aid" to call ridiculous posts lacking any basis in logic and argument ridiculous. In the end, the team is 14-0 so that buys some deference to the organization in its decisions, and as a fan I support my team - tearing the Pats down regularly is for the generally moronic media (there are some exceptions) and those in the organization that can use the criticism to improve the play.

I think people are more open to debating performance when there's a bit of effort put in. Most criticism tends to be fairly generic, like "Maroney dances too much", or "Asante gets picks, but he also gets beat deep a lot" (which I think is the most bizarre assertion I've heard this year). It's really hard to debate stuff like that, so it inevitably results in pretty poor threads.

If someone, as I'm quite sure Belichick did today, shows specific examples of Maroney dancing, or of the oline getting pushed backwards, I've no doubt people would welcome the effort and the opinion.

I think you're right on. Unfortunately not everyone has the memory or the technology to post specific pictures and list specific examples. Just because you can't prove it, doesn't mean it's not happening or you're not right.

Since each poster makes the determination on their own whether you know what you're talking about or not, we'll always have some people that rip opinions endlessly... perhaps so satisfy their own ego, I don't know.

I think you're right on. Unfortunately not everyone has the memory or the technology to post specific pictures and list specific examples. Just because you can't prove it, doesn't mean it's not happening or you're not right.

Since each poster makes the determination on their own whether you know what you're talking about or not, we'll always have some people that rip opinions endlessly... perhaps so satisfy their own ego, I don't know.

Polamalu sucks. He's always getting beat deep.

That's true, and I'm of the opinion that knowing more about specific plays, players, or whatever, doesn't necessarily make someone a bigger or better fan. But on a message board it's inevitable that the more 'thoughtful' (for want of a better word) posts are met with less flaming.

Polamalu sucks. He's always getting beat deep.

Perfect example here Lampshade... now it's up to me to decide whether this guy knows what he's talking about or not. On this subject, he clearly doesn't, so I'll move on.

Bill Belichick? Bill Belichick??? Bill Belichick is a bust! We could have kept Bill Parcells or gone out and gotten Joe Gibbs in Free Agency. Or how about Tony Dungee? Year-for-year, he usually wins more games. PLUS they all dress better. I have never ONCE heard Belichick explain coachy stuff that he plans to do to an opponent, all I ever hear about is how good they are, and then he explains the terminology stuff later. Wesleyan - WESLEYAN??? -- is that even a 1-A school?

PFnV

PS, that was intended as random sarcasm, for the humor impaired

Perfect example here Lampshade... now it's up to me to decide whether this guy knows what he's talking about or not. On this subject, he clearly doesn't, so I'll move on.

Ahhh...... but WHY is it clear that I don't? After all, I just made a blanket assertion with no facts or examples. Shouldn't I be Fêted like a conquering hero?

Ahhh...... but WHY is it clear that I don't? After all, I just made a blanket assertion with no facts or examples. Shouldn't I be Fêted like a conquering hero?

You just helped me make my point, thank you. As I just said, each poster determines on his own what he agrees with and doesn't. Some people search for opinions to disagree with so they can hear themselves talk, I'm not one of those people. And since I watch the Steelers a whole lot more than you I simply disqualify your opinion much like you would do if I said Tom Brady can't throw deep... but thanks for playing along.

You just helped me make my point, thank you. As I just said, each poster determines on his own what he agrees with and doesn't. Some people search for opinions to disagree with so they can hear themselves talk, I'm not one of those people. And since I watch the Steelers a whole lot more than you I simply disqualify your opinion much like you would do if I said Tom Brady can't throw deep... but thanks for playing along.

Ok, either you're missing my point, or you're responding legitimately and I'm missing yours. I used the Polamalu example because it's pretty easy to disprove based upon this season's results for the Steelers, and the lack of big passing plays they had yielded prior to the Patriots game. I used the "Polamalu sucks" line because that's the level of 'criticism' that tends to be put forth here, and because it was an attempt to personalize it for you.

Meriweather is a bust because he's not getting a lot of playing time in his rookie season would be an example of one line of 'criticism' we've seen about Patriots players.

Last edited:

I have a feeling Belichick's 45 minutes didn't consist of : Maroney is a bust. Meriweather is a bust. Watson sucks. Thomas is a disappointment. That's whining. And you can bet that's NOT what Belichick did.

best post of the day IMHO

Bill Belichick? Bill Belichick??? Bill Belichick is a bust! We could have kept Bill Parcells or gone out and gotten Joe Gibbs in Free Agency. Or how about Tony Dungee? Year-for-year, he usually wins more games. PLUS they all dress better. I have never ONCE heard Belichick explain coachy stuff that he plans to do to an opponent, all I ever hear about is how good they are, and then he explains the terminology stuff later. Wesleyan - WESLEYAN??? -- is that even a 1-A school?

PFnV

PS, that was intended as random sarcasm, for the humor impaired
Nah, sorry PFnV, we're holding you to that one and throwing the penalty flag for attempting sarcasm in response to a serious thread.

If someone on this board made all those comments, the Kool-aid police would rip them a new one and call them a whiner.

The truth is, we were playing better earlier in year and it is ok to say that and point out areas where we think they could use some improvement. We still love the team and recognize we are still playing as well as anyone but we also see areas that seem to have slipped a bit and it is ok to talk about it....

I agree there's too much whining on this board, but you've gotta be kidding me if you're comparing what Belichick is saying to the players as motivation and instruction and what fans here are looking to discuss in a tempered manner.

I tried to be BB a few days ago when i criticized Pats performance and I was lectured by some members here.

let see if what BB said today will improve the score this Sun. I expect a running score and 2 new records from Tom and Randy this Sun.

i won't be happy if i don't see 5 TDs this Sun.

C'mon, you're just happy to have a thread about whining.

Whaa whaaa. It's pathetic being undefeated. If we win, but don't score 5 TDs, I'm holding my breath til I turn blue.

LOL!!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :bricks:

Excellent point, and don't let anyone spin it any other way. It is perfectly reasonable to discuss team lapses and shortcomings and still be a bonifide fan (although there are some prone to hysterics or hyperbole).

DEAR NEWBIES:

NOBODY IS ARGUING THIS. STOP MAKING STRAW MAN ARGUMENTS.

Belichick showed the team many clips of various players missing assignments and making errors. He ripped them for 45 minutes - saying they need to improve. Brady said "Coach gave it to us pretty good today," "We've made plenty of mistakes. Especially the last month of football, I don't think it's been our best."

If someone on this board made all those comments, the Kool-aid police would rip them a new one and call them a whiner.

Belichick has a right to rip them and knows where to criticize. The whiners on this board are clueless ... many of them indirectly criticizing Belichick .. I mean he's the one making the decisions they are complaining about.

What's the matter Steamer, you bound up tonight?

How can someone named "Steamer" be bound up ... makes no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back