PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick only NFL coach not to be part of new Fancy Lad Suit Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think if the nfl 'forces' to a particular brand,Bb will show his displeasure by doing something with those suits as well (sleeves cut off ?)

BB wears these cut off hoodies not for PFT etc to make fun but i think in protest to the NFL which signed a deal with reebok and forced all coaches etc to wear their apparel.

Atta BOY!! BB. Be original, but I don't EVER WANT TO SEE THAT RED HOODIE AGAIN!

a) Belichick has his hoodies cut-off so that the sleeves don't get in the way when he's drawing on a whiteboard on the sidelines. It's not a gesture of defiance against the licensing deal with Reebok or anything else.

b) The deal w/ Joseph Abboud doesn't apply to Belichick because he is the lone coach in the league who declined membership in the NFLHCA (NFL Head Coaches Association.) It is not any sort of statement against wearing dress clothes. In fact, when BB is attending a speaking arrangement, attending any sort of promotional or charity function, or goes out for a nice dinner, he dresses as nattily as any other middle-aged multimillionaire Midwesterner.

c) Joseph Abboud is a nice line of men's clothing for the NFL: practical, unembelished and timeless. This deal also means more jobs for manufacturers in New Bedford, MA, where Abboud -- born and bred in Boston -- makes most of his clothing. I've heard he's a big Sox fan and calls into WFAN a lot to poke fun at the Yankees.

a) Belichick has his hoodies cut-off so that the sleeves don't get in the way when he's drawing on a whiteboard on the sidelines. It's not a gesture of defiance against the licensing deal with Reebok or anything else.

b) The deal w/ Joseph Abboud doesn't apply to Belichick because he is the lone coach in the league who declined membership in the NFLHCA (NFL Head Coaches Association.) It is not any sort of statement against wearing dress clothes. In fact, when BB is attending a speaking arrangement, attending any sort of promotional or charity function, or goes out for a nice dinner, he dresses as nattily as any other middle-aged multimillionaire Midwesterner.

c) Joseph Abboud is a nice line of men's clothing for the NFL: practical, unembelished and timeless. This deal also means more jobs for manufacturers in New Bedford, MA, where Abboud -- born and bred in Boston -- makes most of his clothing. I've heard he's a big Sox fan and calls into WFAN a lot to poke fun at the Yankees.
:agree:
BB always dresses nicely for trips and same goes for his players!

Great post ... I looked up his clothes .. lots of conservative stuff which I like.

This is why Bill Belichick is the man. Good for you Bill.;)

funny how they dont ever say his name...

BB disdains idiotic NFL rules; injury reports, access to coaches and press conferences.. this is just another idiotic rule.. good for BB

BB disdains idiotic NFL rules; injury reports, access to coaches and press conferences.. this is just another idiotic rule.. good for BB

Idiotic rules? Seriously?

The NFL gets paid good money simply for dressing its coaches in and associating its name with Abboud's clothes, and the "rule" that makes this possible is "idiotic?" It's money for nothing: it would be idiotic NOT to take it.

Oh, and injury reports are an idiotic rule? Do you know how much interest in football over the years has been driven by gambling? And more recently, Fantasy Football? Anything that makes these pass-times run smoother is yet another thing lining the pockets of the league. (Not to mention the extra hours of media share the NFL gets every Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday just from people tuning in to see if their team's player's condition has been changed.)

Finally, the "access to coaches and press conferences": again, more coverage of the NFL in sports media = free advertising for the NFL's product (the games). Putting more people's faces and voices out there for the fans to connect with = a greater sense of connection between consumer and product.

Simply put, these "idiotic" rules are what make the league the profit-making machine that it is today. Now, do I really need to explain to you why the league being profitable and making as much ancillary revenue as it can is good for Bill Belichick, and good for us, the fans?

The NFL gets paid good money simply for dressing its coaches in and associating its name with Abboud's clothes, and the "rule" that makes this possible is "idiotic?" It's money for nothing: it would be idiotic NOT to take it.

Oh, and injury reports are an idiotic rule? Do you know how much interest in football over the years has been driven by gambling? And more recently, Fantasy Football? Anything that makes these pass-times run smoother is yet another thing lining the pockets of the league. (Not to mention the extra hours of media share the NFL gets every Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday just from people tuning in to see if their team's player's condition has been changed.)

Finally, the "access to coaches and press conferences": again, more coverage of the NFL in sports media = free advertising for the NFL's product (the games). Putting more people's faces and voices out there for the fans to connect with = a greater sense of connection between consumer and product.

Simply put, these "idiotic" rules are what make the league the profit-making machine that it is today. Now, do I really need to explain to you why the league being profitable and making as much ancillary revenue as it can is good for Bill Belichick, and good for us, the fans?

I think the only thing your really missing in there is, something about the tyranny of evil men and the meak shall enherit the earth and such.

Um...yeah.
You just used that argument to suggest that injury reports AREN'T an idiotic rule? Talk about stepping on your own peep. Gambling and media revenue suddenly make a rule NOT idiotic? Jesus that's the worst argument I've ever heard on the topic, and that's saying something. The only thing that could ice that moon pie would be if you somehow managed to put on an effete and smarmy tone while you did it. And brother, you nailed it. Kudos.

Um...yeah.

You just used that argument to suggest that injury reports AREN'T an idiotic rule? Talk about stepping on your own peep. Gambling and media revenue suddenly make a rule NOT idiotic? Jesus that's the worst argument I've ever heard on the topic, and that's saying something. The only thing that could ice that moon pie would be if you somehow managed to put on an effete and smarmy tone while you did it. And brother, you nailed it. Kudos.

Successful use of smarmy. +10

What the hle is the point of this deal anyway??? They won't let coaches wear suits on the sidelines, but they're going to pay for them to wear suits outside of games? What sense does that make?

Um...yeah.

So you're saying that a rule that facilitate side-industries that drives intense interest in the NFL product, and thus makes the league countless millions or dollars, and costs pretty much nothing is... idiotic?

I sure hope you're never put in charge of anything more complicated than a mop and bucket for any business that I'm a part of.

So what's the news here? We all know that BB is a closet Marxist.

God I love Belichick. :)

“The NFL is the most popular sport now and it’s completely American,” JA Apparel CEO Marty Staff said. “It all works. All of our competitors are European and this is really a point of departure for us. Also, we love guys who are 35 to 54. We’re not a metrosexual company.”

And went on to say they have a "husky" section for Mangina.

I guess I have been wrong all of these years, I thought it was about the game being played on the field, the players and real football.

So, it is actually about injury reports, fantasy football, well dressed coaches, mediots getting their interviews so they can misquote, harass and twist all they hear for us??

I guess winning wasn't everything and the only thing afterall..........except for here in good old Foxboro with our favorite coach.

Last edited:
I guess I have been wrong all of these years, I thought it was about the game being played on the field, the players and real football.

So, it is actually about injury reports, fantasy football, well dressed coaches, mediots getting their interviews so they can misquote, harass and twist all they hear for us??

I guess winning wasn't everything and the only thing afterall..........except for here in good old Foxboro with our favorite coach.

Look, like everybody here, I watch football because I love the game played on the field. I don't really care about fantasy football and I don't care what the coaches wear on the sidelines, so long as it covers the swaths of pasty white skin on the Manginis and Holmgrens of the NFL.

But I'm enough of a realist to understand that the league, like any othr business venture, exists to make money. Football is really just the product they sell towards that end. Thus, I'm certainly not going to call "idiotic" the means through which the NFL turns football into profit, and thus providing the raison d'etre for the game we love so much.

Now, I have as much respect for BB's football acumen as any Pats fan in the world, and I understand that what makes him so effective is his all-consuming focus on only that which will help the Patriots win. That's why it's his job to coach games, and not to negotiate deals with sponsors. His job is to care about the Pats, and some NFL execs' to worry about profit margin.

(And, btw, I hope from now on BB chooses to follow even those rules he thinks are idiotic, because it'd be nice to be talking about how well the OT we took at the end of the first round is working out.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back