PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick on WEEI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deus Irae

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
He's started now.... I'll post his comments if warranted.

All preseason games about the same from a strategic point. Extending playing time through game 3 is about getting players into game shape. It's not always a necessity, based upon circumstances, but that's the general rule.

Re: 4-3

We're a multiple defense. We'll put them all in during the preseason, then use what we feel is best on a week-to-week basis based upon what we feel is best and based upon the depth issue as well.

Confident that they can play the 3-4

Football is a 3/4 game. Through 3 quarters, you can usually stick to your game plan, but the 4th quarter is really dictated by situations.

Re: 4-3

We're a multiple defense. We'll put them all in during the preseason, then use what we feel is best on a week-to-week basis based upon what we feel is best and based upon the depth issue as well.

The Pats played the 4-3 nearly the entire preseason in the past only to back to the 3-4 when the season started.

Watson:

Was out there today, along with others who've been missing time. He'll be evaluated for playing time this weekend (friday) probably by Wednesday.

Bruschi:

Holding up well in camp. Instinctive in running game. Brings good energy to team. Working hard, doing a good job. Loves to play.

On Wildcat:

Not why we drafted Edelman (receiver and returner). Not too many plays where they want to take the ball out of Brady's hands unless it's a running play. Would never say never.

Edelman:

Making good transition on routes, blitz recognition, adjustment recognition... Picking it up very quickly. Intelligent kid who's still got a long way to go, but he's come a long way.

On approach to training camp:

Each year you consider your team and the surrounding circumstances. Felt like last year, the team wasn't competitive in any of the exhibition games and was way behind by halftime. Felt like something had to be done to work on that, in order to work on situations.

On Brady:

Only in camp 3 weeks and 2 preseason games. Still a lot to work on. Still getting used to timing, anticipation and execution. Didn't really address specifics like stepping into throws, etc...

On backfield:

Good thing about our backs is that they've all been productive. It's a good combination of different running and pass catching styles. Coach Fears has done a good job with them, and they work well together. Great group to work with.

Maroney specifically:

Lawrence brings a lot. He's one of our better football players. Improved tremendously in the passing game in past 2 offseasons. Good vision, good speed, good power, good quickness. Will make a lot of yards if they get him started, which is about game plan and blockers in front of him. Worked hard in the offseason and is ready to go. Hoping to get him in space this year.

Weight's about 220-225. Can do a lot of different things. Good with the ball in his hands. Have to get it to him with some space.

Pretty much blew off the Ryan question:

"We all know Rex's style...."

Much appreciate BB distilled. Comments on Maroney in particular lend nice balance to some stuff we have heard.

Had a good time with Chad Johnson at the Pro Bowl on the practice field. Chad would tell the defenders what the route was and tell them that they still couldn't cover him, and things like that.

Loves the way he competes and has fun.

That's the end. I hope some of you find this worthwhile.

Much appreciate BB distilled. Comments on Maroney in particular lend nice balance to some stuff we have heard.

My pleasure. He did seem to be pretty effusive with the Maroney praise. Whether he meant it or was just "being Bill" is something I'll leave to individuals to guess at.

BB must be high. Maroney has good vision? Not according to what I've read here at Patsfans!

Last edited:
I loved it when they asked BB how he would feel if Chad O. were his player, and he released a presser during half time :D

I loved it when they asked BB how he would feel if Chad O. were his player, and he released a presser during half time :D

The hesitation before the "We'd ask..." line of response was great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes