PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick on the Gostkowski short kickoff theory

Status
Not open for further replies.
BB has forgotten more about the kicking game than I'll ever know. He also plays a lot of golf. So, it's good enough for me if he says that the ability to kick a ball varying distances, whether off of a tee or from a "snap and hold," is similar to being able to master different clubs and trajectories in golf.

In other words, he's basically saying that mastering kicking the ball under a wide range of circumstances is part of "the job" of a Kicker and so he is telling his Snapper, Holder and Kicker to "figure it out and fix it."

I never bought into the "the short KO's are affecting his FG's" line to begin with. The fact is that the mechanics of a KO is entirely different that that of FG. Clearly something is off with is mechanics, but I REALLY doubt it has anything to do with how he kicks his KO's

BTW- Good question by Reiss, and a very good answer by BB. Remember he just could have said "No" and moved on ;)

I kind of bought into the KO's affecting his FG's theory because I needed to know my golf swing wasn't the only victim of such a crisis. :)

basically Belichick said of course they are different and a kicker needs to be able to do both..that's his job...kicking the ball.

OTOH maybe it isn't that simple. There are a lot of things in sports it is very very hard to do in pairs because getting really good at one means degrading your ability to do the other. A kind of biomechanical Heisenberg uncertainty principle....if I may stretch the analogy in homage to the OP. E.g., you are either really strong or really fast but not both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back