Not open for further replies.

QuantumMechanic

Burn it all down!
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Looks like Reiss asked the question:

Mike Reiss said:
Could there be any carryover for a kicker who is practicing different techniques on kickoffs -- maybe instead of swinging his leg through to power the ball for a touchback on a consistent basis, he is doing more of the pop-up kicks -- to his field-goal stroke? Could those be related? Or they strictly two independent entities?

to which Belichick replied

Bill Belichick said:
I think they’re definitely different. I don’t think there’s any question about that. It would be like a golfer. You’ve got to be able to hit a sand wedge, you’ve got to be able to hit a 5-iron, you’ve got to be able to drive, you’ve got to be able to putt. That’s what kickers and punters do. There’s plus-50 punts, there’s field goals, there’s kickoffs, there’s backed-up punts, there’s punts against a heavy rush, there’s punts against a six-man box where both of the gunners are getting double teamed. And just like golf, there are wind conditions, and not wind conditions and so forth. It’s not like they’re standing out there on the driving range and banging the ball away every time. Especially on placekicks, you’re dealing with a center and a holder and timing on the play, so it’s not like you’re just placing the ball down there on a tee and kicking it like you are a golf ball or a kickoff.

Yeah, they’re definitely different. Whether it’s a punter or kicker you’re talking about, they have to master different skills, different kicks, different types of kicks, different things that are specific to their position just like every other player and every other athlete for the most part has to do. If you’re a basketball player you can’t just shoot free throws. You’ve got to be able to make some other shots, too. That’s part of the position. Being able to do the things that are required of that position, and yeah, they’re not all the same. But I don’t think they’re all the same for anybody.

Are shorter kickoffs affecting Stephen Gostkowski's FG attempts?

It seems that all his 'short' kickoffs go to the right side and when he has missed the field goals, they have all been wide right.............. Maybe there is something to it................

I'm just going to guess without reading his actual comments and say he said "We just have to coach it better."

Later: So he's blaming the whole crew and not just one guy...I dunno. Most of the snaps and holds I've seen have been fine. That still doesn't excuse back-to-back weeks with missed extra points.

I'm just going to guess without reading his actual comments and say he said "We just have to coach it better."

Later: So he's blaming the whole crew and not just one guy...I dunno. Most of the snaps and holds I've seen have been fine. That still doesn't excuse back-to-back weeks with missed extra points.

I don't think he's blaming the whole crew. I think he's just using "kicking from a tee" vs "the whole snap-hold-kick thing" as an example of his overall point of how different kickoffs and placekicking are.

I think he's saying that kicking off and placekicking are different enough that the short kickoff stuff doesn't/shouldn't be expected to affect placekicks.

i think his short kickoffs are a lil too short, it needs to go back another 5-10 yds - between the endzone would be perfect as to make the returner undecided to take a knee or run it, of course easier than said than done.

I never bought into the "the short KO's are affecting his FG's" line to begin with. The fact is that the mechanics of a KO is entirely different that that of FG. Clearly something is off with is mechanics, but I REALLY doubt it has anything to do with how he kicks his KO's

BTW- Good question by Reiss, and a very good answer by BB. Remember he just could have said "No" and moved on ;)

It seems that all his 'short' kickoffs go to the right side and when he has missed the field goals, they have all been wide right.............. Maybe there is something to it................
Except that one that went to the left vs the Bills IIRC or maybe it was Houston.

Scientifically speaking, Gost has the yips.

Maybe Gost should try and kick with his left-foot.

Definition
By Mayo Clinic Staff

Yips are involuntary wrist spasms that occur most commonly when golfers are trying to putt. However, the yips can also affect people who play other sports — such as cricket, darts and baseball.

It was once thought that the yips were always associated with performance anxiety. However, it now appears that some people have yips that are caused by a focal dystonia, which is a neurological dysfunction affecting specific muscles.

Some people have found relief from the yips by changing the way they perform the affected task. For example, a right-handed golfer might try putting left-handed.

Yips - Mayo Clinic

The fact is that the mechanics of a KO is entirely different that that of FG. Clearly something is off with is mechanics, but I REALLY doubt it has anything to do with how he kicks his KO's

Agree completely, two different sets of mechanics, with different footwork, timing, and execution. It would be like saying a basketball player changing his routine in shooting free throws is affecting his jump shot. It seems very unlikely because, while they may seem to be somewhat similar skills, you go about them very differently.

One of the few journalist doing an honest job. I hope he gets a job at the Ringer or NBC or someone less slimly than BSPN.
Totally agree. He needs to get the hell out of there. He is so stifled there.

I actually met Mike at Wegman's at Northboro Crossing a maybe two or three years ago. I was picking up some lunch and I saw him on his laptop trying away. I went over and said that I liked his work and complimented him on his coverage of the team. He was very appreciative and we spent a good 10 minutes or so chatting about the team. Real nice guy.

A few years earlier a mutual friend introduced me to his brother at the beach of all places. Looks the same as him but less hair. Also a really good dude.

He did one to the left against the Steelers. They returned it to the right and out to the 32 yard line

Scientifically speaking, Gost has the yips.
It could be.

I thought this analysis by Chuck Zodda was as close as we've come to proof that Gostkowski's problem is more mechanical than it is mental.

Is Stephen Gostkowski Fixable? - Inside The Pylon

Reiss' question was great because if Gostkowski's problem is mechanical, what caused it? I don't think the Patriots or Gostkowski know for sure. It could be the kickoffs. Then again, even professional golfers lose their swing sometimes.

basically Belichick said of course they are different and a kicker needs to be able to do both..that's his job...kicking the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back