PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick on TBC:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Confidence booster. He does it for Beisel too.

When coaches say something, it usually has a purpose.

14thDragon said:
I guess to most of us it looked like he had been taken to the wood shed on that one.

I was one of those who thought he was VERY close on the coverage of that play - it was a terrific throw and catch. I think people may expect a little too much from ANY LB in coverage. TBC was RIGHT THERE, just barely didn't break it up. At least IMO.

RayClay said:

I know what you mean, but this doesn't seem to be the case here. I don't think BB tends to flat-out lie, he'll mislead or speak in vague terms, whatever, but he seems genuine, practically effusive (for him) in his praise for Banta-Cain - and it showed in how much time TBC saw in the game. The fact that he PLAYED WELL in the game, and the fact that BB would DEFINITELY not lie about who was or wasn't responsible for a bad play - I don't know, I think it's not just blowing smoke to boost a guy's confidence.

RayClay said:

When it is generic thing, like when BB said that is TBC's best camp so far, I would tend to agree with you Ray Clay.

But when he goes into detail like below, I would not ascribe that to a lie. Ray I know your concern about the run defense, and I wouldn't be shocked if Vrabel moves inside with Bruschi, and TBC becomes the OLB who sets the edge and moves everything back inside toward Bruschi and Vrabel.

"It was an interesting play because really that wasn't (Banta-Cain's) man at all," said Belichick. "It wasn't his responsibility. The way the play unfolded, he kind of saw that there wasn't anybody else there where there really should have been, and he just hung with him.

"I'm sure it looked like to anybody watching the play that he got beat on the play, and it was close. He was pretty competitive. He was right there to make the play on the tackle on the catch. He just kind of instinctively saw that nobody else was going to get him and he stuck with him. Even though the guy made the catch and all that, I thought it was a really good play and a heads-up play on his part.

"It was poorly played by two other players. Really, the guy should have been wide open -- nobody within 20 yards of him based on the way the other people reacted. I thought that was one of the best plays in the game that he made. It wasn't even his play."

Besides, I remember TBC got a sack in the game. IMHO, the key word BB said was "INSTINCTIVELY."

Last edited:
PATRIOTS-80 said:
When it is generic thing, like when BB said that is TBC's best camp so far, I would tend to agree with you Ray Clay.

But when he goes into detail like below, I would not ascribe that to a lie. Ray I know your concern about the run defense, and I wouldn't be shocked if Vrabel moves inside with Bruschi, and TBC becomes the OLB who sets the edge and moves everything back inside toward Bruschi and Vrabel.

"It was an interesting play because really that wasn't (Banta-Cain's) man at all," said Belichick. "It wasn't his responsibility. The way the play unfolded, he kind of saw that there wasn't anybody else there where there really should have been, and he just hung with him.

"I'm sure it looked like to anybody watching the play that he got beat on the play, and it was close. He was pretty competitive. He was right there to make the play on the tackle on the catch. He just kind of instinctively saw that nobody else was going to get him and he stuck with him. Even though the guy made the catch and all that, I thought it was a really good play and a heads-up play on his part.

"It was poorly played by two other players. Really, the guy should have been wide open -- nobody within 20 yards of him based on the way the other people reacted. I thought that was one of the best plays in the game that he made. It wasn't even his play."

Besides, I remember TBC got a sack in the game. IMHO, the key word BB said was "INSTINCTIVELY."

It's not a lie. He picks out some good things to help build confidence.

He's got some young talented guys that aren't playing with confidence and he needs them to.

He certainly deflates the ****y over confident guys. Nothing dishonest about it. He just doesn't berate players or start crying like Parcells.

He didn't win 3 super bowls with less than the best talent, (2001 or injuries), without knowing how to pump up or deflate people.

TBCs probably tried to compare himself to the 4 LBs that started last year. He's screwed up sometimes too, but why would BB mention that to a guy already lacking in confidence?

RayClay said:
It's not a lie. He picks out some good things to help build confidence.

He's got some young talented guys that aren't playing with confidence and he needs them to.

He certainly deflates the ****y over confident guys. Nothing dishonest about it. He just doesn't berate players or start crying like Parcells.

He didn't win 3 super bowls with less than the best talent, (2001 or injuries), without knowing how to pump up or deflate people.

TBCs probably tried to compare himself to the 4 LBs that started last year. He's screwed up sometimes too, but why would BB mention that to a guy already lacking in confidence?

I think you're really, REALLY reaching here. This is silly.

I don't quite understand when you said, "TBCs probably tried to compare himself to the 4 LBs that started last year." He's never come off as ego kind of guy to me.

IMHO, when BB says the word "instinctively," about a player, that means that player has potential. Of course, we all know potential means you have don't sh@t yet, but still if you don't have guys with potential, you will never develop any young talent.

Maybe I am wrong, but I sense that the young fellows TBC and Beisel are locked in a death cage match, and the winner gets to start, and the loser will be a ST/reserve player.

What I'm saying is guys like Bruschi, Troy Brown and Rodney Harrison are not the norm.

These guys have been cut, dissed, switched positions and not given a chance sometimes.

They are very confident people.

Most people have self doubt.

If you're playing behind some extremely talented and confident people, (our former linebacking corps was a superb blend of talent and experience) and can't seem to crack the lineup when opportunity knocks it might not be your ability.

Some guys probably start to think they are the dreaded "career special teamer".

Guys like Troy Brown aren't faster, smarter, (maybe) or more talented than receivers that fail, (and tons do).

If you think it's "silly", why do so may teams hire or consult with sports psychologists?

Last edited:
PATRIOTS-80 said:
IMHO, when BB says the word "instinctively," about a player, that means that player has potential. Of course, we all know potential means you have don't sh@t yet, but still if you don't have guys with potential, you will never develop any young talent.

Maybe I am wrong, but I sense that the young fellows TBC and Beisel are locked in a death cage match, and the winner gets to start, and the loser will be a ST/reserve player.

Remember, BB is working during training camp.

In my mind, when he says "instinctively", the message is "your thinking too much, you have the ability, just do it."

RayClay said:
Most people have self doubt.
If you're playing behind some extremely talented and confident people, (our former linebacking corps was a superb blend of talent and experience) and can't seem to crack the lineup when opportunity knocks it might not be your ability.
Some guys probably start to think they are the dreaded "career special teamer".

Ray, to be fair to TBC, he was a 7th round pick just a couple of years ago, it takes time to develop a LB in a BB system, and you got 6 or 7 startable vets, it is hard to work in a developmental LB.

http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2006/08/06/fringe_players_hope_to_benefit/?page=2

`It's my time," Banta-Cain said. ``I've been here three years, going on my fourth. I've had plenty of time to develop. Opportunities are going to come this year, so I'd better take advantage where I can.

``I saw what some of the offseason changes were with free agency, the draft, the release of Willie, and that kind of put things in perspective for me to know that I'm going to be expected to do some things this year and contribute more than I did last year. Hopefully a lot more.

``It's now or never. It should be that way all the time, but I definitely feel like this year should be the year I break out and do what I've been hoping to do throughout my career. Since college, I've been waiting for a breakout year.

``I've taken this offseason seriously, and I've been probably the most focused that I've been since the year I came into the league," Banta-Cain said.

RayClay said:
Remember, BB is working during training camp.

In my mind, when he says "instinctively", the message is "your thinking too much, you have the ability, just do it."

Ray read it in the context of the quote. It was a compliment, not a reprimand.

LB need instincts Ray. Bruschi has instincts ... that is what sets him apart.

I am sorry, but in no way do I think the word is a reprimand.

Furthermore, I do think that BB could be sticking it to media as well ... because they always criticize him and think they know better, and he could be just in his own way, sticking it to them that they really don't know what they are talking about.

PATRIOTS-80 said:
Ray read it in the context of the quote. It was a compliment, not a reprimand.

I must not be explaining myself well.

BB noted a play where TBC saw something and acted decisively. Didn't hesitate, wonder if he did the right thing. He acted instinctively.

He complimented him on this.

I extrapolated that after 4 years as a special teamer he was confident as a pass rusher but MAYBE was not completely confident as a linebacker.

My take is BB is saying "take a chance" you've paid you're dues I have confidence in you, that was a great instinctive play I'm sure you can make more if you relax and play. Don't worry about mistakes, you know what you're doing.

I hate to belabor it, but if someone is arguing against a point I'm not trying to make I want to clarify.

PATRIOTS-80 said:
Ray, to be fair to TBC, he was a 7th round pick just a couple of years ago, it takes time to develop a LB in a BB system, and you got 6 or 7 startable vets, it is hard to work in a developmental LB.

http://www.boston.com/sports/articles/2006/08/06/fringe_players_hope_to_benefit/?page=2

`It's my time," Banta-Cain said. ``I've been here three years, going on my fourth. I've had plenty of time to develop. Opportunities are going to come this year, so I'd better take advantage where I can.

``I saw what some of the offseason changes were with free agency, the draft, the release of Willie, and that kind of put things in perspective for me to know that I'm going to be expected to do some things this year and contribute more than I did last year. Hopefully a lot more.

``It's now or never. It should be that way all the time, but I definitely feel like this year should be the year I break out and do what I've been hoping to do throughout my career. Since college, I've been waiting for a breakout year.

``I've taken this offseason seriously, and I've been probably the most focused that I've been since the year I came into the league," Banta-Cain said.

I hope you realize by now that I'm not disagreeing with you.

But if you look at that quote I think you see someone that's putting pressure on himself.

What's wrong with a coach complimenting a player in the media? I'm just saying it's a way to help him play his best.

RayClay said:
I hope you realize by now that I'm not disagreeing with you.

But if you look at that quote I think you see someone that's putting pressure on himself.

What's wrong with a coach complimenting a player in the media? I'm just saying it's a way to help him play his best.

ok I now understand what you were saying. You had me confused there for awhile.

On the Carpenter for Maroney Deal.I see it as this.I think A RB is much more beneficial to a team then just One Linebacker.Sure,A Linebacker can make some great plays,Force a punt,And Occasionally may come up with a big sack for a fumble for a pick to get the Offense back out there.But a guy like Maroney,With the speed,the chance to move the chains.It just wouldnt be an even trade.The RB position sees the balls a BIT MORE CONSISTENTLY then does a linebacker.On that Note..GOD DARN I hope TBC Continues showing the upside.I have been hoping we could see enough of him since he was drafted to get him on the field.Im praying he works out for us.

PATRIOTS-80 said:
ok I now understand what you were saying. You had me confused there for awhile.

BB has a wonderful way of coaching. I think he'll knock you back if you're overconfident or freelancing.

Notice he had Hobbs talking about his "responsibilities" last year.

I don't think he's worried that Hobbs will lose confidence or play too conservative.:D

He's always saying how smart Beisel is, avoiding the subject of how physical he's not for now.

I think TBC is a nice guy and a hard worker, (special teams is hard work).

He just needs a little Stuart Smalley. This Jordan guy apparently doesn't have these problems.

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/91/91asmalley.phtml

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back