PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick on NBC Super Bowl pregame?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be curious to see if we get the relaxed, insightful BB we hear on WEEI or speaking with Reiss - or the BB we get at post game press conferences who keeps everything close to the vest and gives the national media next to nothing in his answers to their questions. Anybody recall what he was like in the pregame to the Steelers - Seahawks SB?

He was terrific, very relaxed. I think they had pre-filmed him breaking film down but he was also there in person with Mike Tririco & someone else. I remember when they were cutting to him they had a table with Stuart Scott, Steve Young, Tom Jackson & someone else, and when Stuart Scott said they were sending it to Tririco with special guest Bill Belichick Tom Jackson's face was like a stone and Steve Young kept his head down like his script was the most interesting thing ever, funny stuff. BB has many people in broadcasting now who do not like him, and he could care less :D

He was terrific, very relaxed. I think they had pre-filmed him breaking film down but he was also there in person with Mike Tririco & someone else. I remember when they were cutting to him they had a table with Stuart Scott, Steve Young, Tom Jackson & someone else, and when Stuart Scott said they were sending it to Tririco with special guest Bill Belichick Tom Jackson's face was like a stone and Steve Young kept his head down like his script was the most interesting thing ever, funny stuff. BB has many people in broadcasting now who do not like him, and he could care less :D

When BB did this for the 05 Super Bowl (pit/sea), he specifically told ABC/ESPN it was either with Berman or Tirico or it doesn't get done - cause as we know, he can't stand anyone else over there! (I don't think Keyshawn had joined ESPN yet. BB does like him though). BB told them either Berman or Tirico because they're hosts, they're play by play guys. They "usually" don't give opinions. Tirico's always very careful, even on his radio show to this day. Berman sometimes does. But he usually leaves it for the other guys.

In terms of BB's breakdown that day in Detroit, as others have said he was spot on. It was the most compelling part about Super Bowl 40! He broke down how the Pats had just won 3 of the last 4 Super Bowl's. ESPN obvisouly had to cut a lot of stuff out but I'm sure there was a hit list with BB's approval (or his assistants) of what the most important stuff was.

The best part for me was when they were talking about Super Bowl 36 against the Rams and BB's exact words were "That super bowl was defined by two words, Marshall Faulk." - Love that line!

He was very comfortable for a couple of reasons (IMO).

1) he was breaking down game film. He was breaking down what his team did against another team. Again, game film. Something we all know he loves to do and can teach even the dumbest of football fans.

2) With the exception of the backend segment, which was live, the rest of the "breakdown" was all taped back in Foxborro. He's very good in front of the camera's (when he's comfortable with the hosts and the topics) but when it's taped, let's face it, we'd all be more comfortable.

3) He was breaking down his team and how they were succesful attacking the opposing teams. If I remember correctly, everything was worded carefully like "we wanted to stay away from X." "We didn't want X to beat us." Not, "we knew we could attack here because they're weak." Except of course Freddie Mitchell!

See the difference.

I'm curious about a couple of things next Sunday during the pre-game show with BB and Collinsworth.

1) Collinsworth hasn't exactly been kind to the Patriots in the last couple of years. If I'm not mistaken, he was very critical during spy gate.

I think I know why NBC chose CC because he has "host" type qualities and can get in and out of a segment. But why not a guy like Bettis? BB respected him very much while he played. He's a former player like CC and I think they're by-play would be tremendous. Even though Bettis isn't a host, he's recently removed from the game and would be comfortable in a film room.

I know why not Tiki, or Peter King. Thought MAYBE Dan Patrick would be an option. Keith Olberman - NFW!!!!

Very interrested to see the by-play between Collinsworth and BB.

2) Expect to see alot of what both pitt and ari do "well" type of stuff. How the pitt LB's are always around the ball. Same with Troy P. What are AZ's strengths on D. (i'm interrested in that one because that's 1 of the biggest stories of the game!)

Wouldn't expect him to show where a team's "weakness" of dificency is. I wouldn't expect to hear him say "i'd attack here"...I'd expect "we'd try to stay away from this guy or that guy."

I can't wait to see it. BB breaking down film, even for 5 minutes, it is worth the while.

When BB did this for the 05 Super Bowl (pit/sea), he specifically told ABC/ESPN it was either with Berman or Tirico or it doesn't get done - cause as we know, he can't stand anyone else over there! (I don't think Keyshawn had joined ESPN yet. BB does like him though). BB told them either Berman or Tirico because they're hosts, they're play by play guys. They "usually" don't give opinions. Tirico's always very careful, even on his radio show to this day. Berman sometimes does. But he usually leaves it for the other guys.

In terms of BB's breakdown that day in Detroit, as others have said he was spot on. It was the most compelling part about Super Bowl 40! He broke down how the Pats had just won 3 of the last 4 Super Bowl's. ESPN obvisouly had to cut a lot of stuff out but I'm sure there was a hit list with BB's approval (or his assistants) of what the most important stuff was.

The best part for me was when they were talking about Super Bowl 36 against the Rams and BB's exact words were "That super bowl was defined by two words, Marshall Faulk." - Love that line!

1) he was breaking down game film. He was breaking down what his team did against another team. Again, game film. Something we all know he loves to do and can teach even the dumbest of football fans.

2) With the exception of the backend segment, which was live, the rest of the "breakdown" was all taped back in Foxborro. He's very good in front of the camera's (when he's comfortable with the hosts and the topics) but when it's taped, let's face it, we'd all be more comfortable.

3) He was breaking down his team and how they were succesful attacking the opposing teams. If I remember correctly, everything was worded carefully like "we wanted to stay away from X." "We didn't want X to beat us." Not, "we knew we could attack here because they're weak." Except of course Freddie Mitchell!

See the difference.

I'm curious about a couple of things next Sunday during the pre-game show with BB and Collinsworth.

1) Collinsworth hasn't exactly been kind to the Patriots in the last couple of years. If I'm not mistaken, he was very critical during spy gate.

I think I know why NBC chose CC because he has "host" type qualities and can get in and out of a segment. But why not a guy like Bettis? BB respected him very much while he played. He's a former player like CC and I think they're by-play would be tremendous. Even though Bettis isn't a host, he's recently removed from the game and would be comfortable in a film room.

I know why not Tiki, or Peter King. Thought MAYBE Dan Patrick would be an option. Keith Olberman - NFW!!!!

2) Expect to see alot of what both pitt and ari do "well" type of stuff. How the pitt LB's are always around the ball. Same with Troy P. What are AZ's strengths on D. (i'm interrested in that one because that's 1 of the biggest stories of the game!)

Wouldn't expect him to show where a team's "weakness" of dificency is. I wouldn't expect to hear him say "i'd attack here"...I'd expect "we'd try to stay away from this guy or that guy."

I can't wait to see it. BB breaking down film, even for 5 minutes, it is worth the while.

collinsworth speaks his mind.good or bad. he was also blown away hearing bb speak when miced up after the seattle game.
collinsworth is also better at breaking the play down than anyone like bettis who is pretty new to this anyway. i think its a good pairup.

I'm really looking forward to this. Will they tell us what time it will be on, or am I going to have to watch all 8 hours of pregame?

Also, is the video from SB XL anywhere on the web? I don't think I saw it then.

I'm really looking forward to this. Will they tell us what time it will be on, or am I going to have to watch all 8 hours of pregame?

Also, is the video from SB XL anywhere on the web? I don't think I saw it then.
dont think nbc has even publicly announced BB's involvement yet. in sb xl he compared the steelers of the 70s, 85 bears,90s giants and 2000 pats and how defenses have changed etc.. was pretty cool.he also emphatically said that seattle has to throw the ball to win the game and when tirico suggested that the seahawks have the league mvp in shaun alexander , BB said steelers will stop the run if they want to so seattle has to throw the ball to win.

See the difference.

Colinsworth is ok, and he's a pretty big fan of TFB's so I have never noticed any real negative stuff.

He heaped so much praise on the Patriots last year, it was almost disturbing. I remember him saying at the half of the Sunday night Bills game, "This team may never loose again".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back