PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick on Malcolm Jenkins and Safeties

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDSal45

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Mark Maske of the Washington Post scored some Belichick quotes on the draft in his column today:

"Some of those hybrid guys have played corner and safety -- like Jenkins, for example, is a guy that's played both," New England Patriots Coach Bill Belichick said at the combine. "What his best fit is for a team, where he's most valuable, is certainly an interesting discussion for all teams."

He's referring to Malcolm Jenkings of Ohio State, thought to be the best corner in next week's draft.

Also, on safeties in general:

"I think the safety position is becoming more and more of a corner position in the National Football League," Belichick said. "There were times when some of the safeties, particularly the strong safeties, fit more like linebackers than they did as defensive backs. I think that's changed gradually. . . . Your defensive backs, they either have to cover wide receivers, or they have to cover tight ends who are very good in the passing game. . . . I think the demands of that position have changed. I think that's changed the evaluation a little bit."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...9041801991.html

J D Sal

"There were times when some of the safeties, particularly the strong safeties, fit more like linebackers than they did as defensive backs. I think that's changed gradually."

Interesting. Either BB is being deliberately misleading, :eek: or his safety philosophy has changed.

I'm not astute enough to tell. I will say that BB continues to show that he's acutely aware of the evolving talent and styles of play in the league, something that puts him way ahead of the typical meathead X and O HC.

I think Belichick is still interested in having a hybrid LB/SS who can cover tight ends. Seems to be why Tank Williams was re-signed.

The Pats should take a long look at William Moore if he is available. He appears to be a big, Rodney Harrison-like safety who can take down backs and tight ends but also has the speed to cover wide receivers.

I think Belichick is still interested in having a hybrid LB/SS who can cover tight ends. Seems to be why Tank Williams was re-signed.

The Pats should take a long look at William Moore if he is available. He appears to be a big, Rodney Harrison-like safety who can take down backs and tight ends but also has the speed to cover wide receivers.
I think he is still interested in that, but in place of a linebacker not as one of your two safeties, who I think he sees need to have more corner skills with the way offenses have evolved.

J D Sal

I really believe Sean Smith S/CB out of Utah is going to be a Patriot.

Maybe even at 24 which a lot of people will consider a reach.

34 more likely if we still have the pick and he is available.

I have seen him slip into the mid or late 2nd roundin mocks but I think he may be a player the pats would reach for a little.

If you could teach that guy to cover WR or TE near the end zone he would be a steal.

When I read these comments about Safeties by BB I think of Merriweather:D

I think he is still interested in that, but in place of a linebacker not as one of your two safeties, who I think he sees need to have more corner skills with the way offenses have evolved.

J D Sal

QFT.

BB's most lauded game plans have been ones in which he flooded the field with mediocre DBs, even at the cost of playing overall superior front-seven players.

Everybody thinks we are going to pick olb @ 23pick.Bill wants us to that away and it going to be different.Maybe will package some picks to go after Jenkins or a DL.my 2 cents:D

Mark Maske of the Washington Post scored some Belichick quotes on the draft in his column today:

He's referring to Malcolm Jenkings of Ohio State, thought to be the best corner in next week's draft.

Also, on safeties in general:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...9041801991.html

J D Sal

Another guy who is similar to Jenkins and is more likely to be available when the Pats pick - Sean Smith. Things that make you go Hmmmmm.

All this is from Bill's Combine presser. This is two months old. Shortly after these comments, Malcolm ran slower than expected and he got the CB/FS tag applied. This press conference was the original reason I thought he was an option for the Patriots. I was wondering why nobody here was discussing this until now, a week before the draft?

Will Moore will make someone a fine safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes