PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick not close with Crennel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGameguy

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1031206#articleFull

Not that I think it really matters, but an interesting read. I must have been seeing things when BB, Weis, and Crennel were practically making babies after that last Super Bowl win.

Also, I remember reading in Patriot Reign that Belichick talked to a lot of people at the Combine, and had a great relationship with Al Davis.

Whatever. You dont need to be social to win :)

Whatever. You dont need to be social to win :)

As most of us know by now, one of BB's closest friends is Jon Bon Jovi. He's also close friends with Tony LaRussa and artist Stephen Hannock, an artist who hangs with the likes of Sting, Brokaw, McEnroe, Robin Williams and has dated Katie Couric.

Beat hanging with the likes of Norv Turner and Jeff Fisher, don't you think?

BB has a rather exclusive circle of friends, Billy Donovan, Jimmy Johnson etc.

All things Belichick has a whole section on BB's friends, his connections are interesting..

Chris Berman...Urban Meyer...

Its a very exclusive list! Frankly, I don't blame him if he doesn't want to mingle with the likes of Fishers and Turners.

Jim Brown.

I don't think he gets along with Charlie Weis well either based on Charlie's last few negotiations here.

On the other hand, Weis stuck up for Belichick in court when he testified against Parcells.

Tomase does us a diservice by never once mentioning that people hate losing to Belichick because the perception is, the Patriots don't have any talent, and that BB is simply outcoaching the opposition. People are embarrassed.

I have to give Martz a ton of credit because there is no other coach who has been more humiliated by Belichick than him, and yet Martz is one of the few defending BB.

BB is much like Brady...They both only hang with famous people:)

I thought it was a little strange but I'm not sure how much he hung out with Saban when he was in the NFL. He may look at other HC as the enemy.

Jim Brown.

I don't think he gets along with Charlie Weis well either based on Charlie's last few negotiations here.

On the other hand, Weis stuck up for Belichick in court when he testified against Parcells.

Tomase does us a diservice by never once mentioning that people hate losing to Belichick because the perception is, the Patriots don't have any talent, and that BB is simply outcoaching the opposition. People are embarrassed.

I have to give Martz a ton of credit because there is no other coach who has been more humiliated by Belichick than him, and yet Martz is one of the few defending BB.

At Charlie Weis's press conference, they asked him about camera gate. He said he had a good laugh, then said he wouldn't touch it. Not sure if the laugh was concerning BB or cameragate. Anyone else see this?

I think people may be reading too much into this. Crennel knows that Belichick and Mangini hates each other and probably avoided Belichick when hanging with Mangini. I don't know if this means that Crennel and Belichick aren't close. The two guys go back to the Giants days.

Jim Brown.

Did martz say something ?

I thought it was a little strange but I'm not sure how much he hung out with Saban when he was in the NFL. He may look at other HC as the enemy.

Saban did say that he and Belichick did not have a close relationship after he took Miami job. Not that Belichick hated Saban for going to a division rival, but because they didn't feel it was appropriate to have a close relationship as division rivals. I think both guys are just so focused on football that they are willing to let personal relationships to be put on hold for the game.

Damn it. Now I have to spend all morning researching this but I swear that I read that Romeo, Scott Pioli and BB were together either at one of these NFL meetings or at the combine and were laughing and making so much noise as to be disruptive. I could have swore it was Tomase who reported this.

Will post the link and or quote when I find it.

BB and Saban used to have lunch together. I can't remember if this was only while Saban coached at LSU and it stopped once he entered the league? I thought I remembered hearing about them getting together at least once after Saban came back to the NFL though? I know BB and Saban have been friendly again recently.

Last edited:
I am so upset. Here are two blog netries Tomase posted at the time of the league meetings in 2006. It's outragoues how Tomase's "spin has changed. I'm distgusted. I'm posting the link too. I hope it works.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/patriots/?m=20060330

No two coaches appeared more inseparable than Eric Mangini and Romeo Crennel, which should come as little surprise since the former succeeded the latter as Patriots defensive coordinator. Neither appeared to have much if any public interaction with Patriots head coach Bill Belichick, but in fairness, their paths didn’t cross much in the lobby.

• Speaking of Belichick, it’s interesting to note how he carries himself among his coaching brethren. Widely regarded as the brightest mind in the game — “He’s the best there is at what we do,” Steelers coach Bill Cowher gushes — despite a reputation for being arrogant and aloof, Belichick doesn’t strut around like he reinvented the sport. The best word to describe him would be unassuming. Wearing jeans and slinging a courier bag over his shoulder, he looks more like a college professor than an NFL coach. He’s also noticeably smaller than most of his compatriots, which is striking considering the towering shadow he casts over New England. Sitting between Cowher, who must go about 6-4, and the 300-plus-pound Crennel at the annual coaches’ photo, Belichick practically disappeared. It wasn’t a bad metaphor for his lobby presence either, which seemed not so much elitist as shy and unpretentious. Unlike Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden, who wears a permanent smirk, Belichick tends to walk with his head down, stopping to greet writers and football people he knows and avoiding eye contact with those he doesn’t. And for whatever it’s worth, he seems pretty close to Cowher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes