PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick - Mangini: let the media hype begin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Sellers

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Obviously we all knew the media would be all over the relationship between these two when the schedule was announced. Thought it was interesting to see how it's being played out in the media.

First from Mike Reiss, a somewhat neutral piece: Belichick-Mangini revisited - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston
With the Patriots preparing to face the Browns on Sunday, the relationship between head coaches Bill Belichick and Eric Mangini is a natural story line.

Belichick deflected the topic Wednesday.

"Right now, it is just trying to get my team ready; get the Patriots ready to play the Browns," Belichick said. "It’s not really about any personal thing, it’s just, I’m trying to do a job, so is the rest of our team [and] so is their team. We will see what happens on Sunday."

Asked what he expects the post-game handshake to be like, Belichick said: "Hopefully I’ll have a smile on my face. That’s what I’m hoping for. Hope we come out on top – that’s what we’re going up there for. But, hey, we know it’s going to be tough. Cleveland’s a good football team. They play everybody tough and we know it will be a tough game."

Then from a Cleveland paper, a column that omits important factors (e.g., the Jets role in Spygate) while more or less painting a picture of Mangini wanting to work things out but a bitter Belichick holding a grudge: Ohio.com - Relationship between Mangini, former mentor Belichick still in deep freeze
Another chapter in the odd relationship between Mangini and Belichick continues Sunday when the Browns host the Patriots at 1 p.m. at Browns Stadium.

Unfortunately, there will be some folks more concerned with the details of the handshake than the outcome of the game. That's because while Mangini has tried to reach out to Belichick, the former has no interest in making up. ...

Two years later, there's still no denying the icy relationship between the pair hasn't thawed.

During this week's conference calls, Mangini repeatedly spoke of his respect for his former mentor. Yet, Belichick refused to answer questions about Mangini, never uttering his name.

Asked if Mangini had reached out to him and if he was receptive of the offer, Belichick gave an awkward long pause then answered: ''Right now I'm really receptive to working on the Browns and trying to get our team ready to play, that's what my focus is right now.''

Then there's the angle via the AP that shows up in the New York Post: Belichick vs. Mangini when Patriots play Browns - NYPOST.com
The rocky relationship between Mangini and Belichick — former friends, student and mentor — has been one of the NFL’s spiciest story lines for some time. Their rift, precipitated by Mangini’s departure in 2006 from Belichick’s staff in New England to coach the Jets and deepened by Mangini’s accusations of cheating in the infamous “Spygate” affair, has become legendary — or laughable, depending on your take. ...

Mangini still speaks fondly of Belichick.

On the other hand, Belichick avoids anything warm and fuzzy. ...

In summarizing his “tremendous influence,” Mangini complimented Belichick’s well-rounded knowledge, work ethic and unmatched attention to detail. He also learned how to handle success and adversity working for Belichick. ...

Mangini’s decision to join the Jets, New England’s bitter AFC East rival, rankled Belichick, who felt betrayed by one of his coaching disciples.

Then, in ’07, Mangini allegedly turned in Belichick for having a Patriots aide videotape Jets defensive signals in the season opener. Belichick was eventually fined $500,000 by the league and the Patriots were penalized $250,000 and had to forfeit a first-round draft pick because of the incident.

If there was any doubt in the blurring of the line between reporting a story and slanting it to the point of being an opinion/editorial commentary, the inclusion of the word 'alleged' sealed that fate in that last column.

"I know it was you, Fredo. You broke my heart."

I had to. :cool:

Last edited:
Cleveland papers are still trying to work this angle. I suppose there are probably writers still working there now that remember (a) stories becoming more difficult to write with less access after a writer let it be known to Denver that a key player was hurt, and (b) stories being more difficult to write when there was no team in Cleveland, which they somehow convolutedly blame on BB.

New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick makes subtle dig at Cleveland Browns coach Eric Mangini | cleveland.com

More likely, it was a jab by Belichick at his estranged protege, Browns coach Eric Mangini. Perhaps Belichick's way of saying, "Hey, Mike Holmgren's running the show over there and not you."

Maybe I'm crazy, but to me this is a non issue. I really don't understand what the fuss is about. I mean, do I want to see Mangina lose because of what he did? Sure I do, but as story lines go this is nothing.

This story is not even a sequel anymore ... it's a game teacher and mentor will be compared to each other now ... no more and no less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes