PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick Mangini handshake

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
is getting ripped on espnradio.com by dan patrick.Saying he might as well not go to the field to shake hands.
He is normally one of the better ones i listen to...
Also questions BB's dress code and what he wears..

Man, 2 bad games and people pick on anything to criticize

Exactly, if he wins his hoodie is charmingly eccentric and just showing who he is, if he loses he is an embarassment to the league, it is so sad how these pundits' opinions change direction like the wind.

Maybe BB is trying to show his players how to act against the opposition? The Mangini/BB is nothing more than a figment of bored press.

As far as the clothing of BB goes, it is another non-issue except for the well dressed sports announcers.. who cares about that stuff anyways. Why don't they focus on Krafts penchant for the blue shirt with a white collar??

SVN said:
is getting ripped on espnradio.com by dan patrick.Saying he might as well not go to the field to shake hands.
He is normally one of the better ones i listen to...
Also questions BB's dress code and what he wears..

Man, 2 bad games and people pick on anything to criticize
I had Jim Rome on for one minute this morning and he was all over BB. I turned that SOB off. In fact, I would like to see Rome get his ass handed to him like Jim Everett did a few years ago, which was caught on TV. Funny as hell. Rome persisted in calling Jim "Chris", or "Chrissy", Everett said one more and he'd beat the crap out of him, and he did! Back to BB, I don't mind bad losers as coach of my team. Get'em next week!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually think the behavior reflects pretty poorly on BB. I don't like Mangini at all, but it seems like with his behavior it makes people think Mangini is getting the better of him.

SoonerPatriot said:
I actually think the behavior reflects pretty poorly on BB. I don't like Mangini at all, but it seems like with his behavior it makes people think Mangini is getting the better of him.
And belichick doesnt care how it reflects on him..he is who he is...

He went to midfield and shook hands. Both times. Who cares how. So he didn't offer Eric any tongue - that's OK. Why don't they talk about when Dungy didn't even bother shaking hands with Belichick a few years back ?

i heard on the dan patrick show that the reason BB might be pissed at mangini is that according to "analysts who didnt want to be identified, mangini was recruiting pats players to join the jets on the plane back after the denver loss" FWIW...

SVN said:
i heard on the dan patrick show that the reason BB might be pissed at mangini is that according to "analysts who didnt want to be identified, mangini was recruiting pats players to join the jets on the plane back after the denver loss" FWIW...
That would seem to fit with the other talk about Mangini's card key being locked out of the team facility when they arrived back. A simple phone call from Belichick could take care of that.

this story is really getting played a lot....the whole BB mangini relationship is on espnnews now...eric allen, qaidry ismail saying BB should happy for his fellow coaches...
they seem to be really having a lot of fun at the BB's expense which i guess creates more media story and hype for them the next time they meet..

SVN said:
And belichick doesnt care how it reflects on him..he is who he is...

Really? Ya don't say.

But that's not the point. The thread was talking about how other people were perceiving what happend and their take on it, not how BB felt about it. Both are irrelevant IMO.

The postgame handshake between coaches is a custom, a formality, not required by any rules. I can understand why BB despises Mangini, and I can imagine it's hard to shake the b@stard's hand, especially after losing to him.

This is a huge story, AGAIN?

Ah, the joys of not paying any attention at all to the media!

What bothers me about the ESPN-types who keep bringing this up is the fact that they never even bother to ask 'Why is Belichick upset with Mangini?', but they just assume he's bitter that one of his coaches left the fold for a head coaching job elsewhere. To the talking heads, Belichick comes off as having a rather childish grudge against the poor, innocent NYJ head coach, and they're using that angle to sit around making fun of BB on several of the talk shows I've heard today.

But if you dig a little deeper, it's clear something else happened after Mangini left which has soured BB's attitude toward him. Mangini is only the latest in a long line of coaching departures from the Pats, yet none of the other guys seem to have had any problem with BB after the fact. Interesting. Then there was this statememnt from BB when Mangini was hired by the Jets:

"Eric worked his way from the most entry-level position to a position of great responsibility during several successful seasons," Belichick said in a press statement. "The opportunity Eric has now earned is truly an example of good things happening to a good, hardworking person, and I wish him well."

I fail to note a single trace of resentment or bitterness in that!

Yet the relationship has undenaibly soured since then, for some reason. I suspect the stories of player tampering and such are at the root of it, but we'll probably never know for sure. What is pretty clear is that Mangini did something after the fact to really tick off BB, and it wasn't the simple donning of the green cap. Whatever happened, Mangini has emerged smelling like a rose, especially after this past week's game, while the never-too-cheerful BB comes off looking like even more of a surly curmudgeon, and that's a shame.

PrairiePat said:
Whatever happened, Mangini has emerged smelling like a rose, especially after this past week's game, while the never-too-cheerful BB comes off looking like even more of a surly curmudgeon, and that's a shame.
Thanks so much for pointing this out, it is a shame that a man who just wants to coach and do his job right gets such grief from the Boston media, let alone the national media. I remember after the Denver playoff loss Mike Greenburg said on his show that BB wouldn't even shake Shanahan's hand afterward, when in fact BB met him at midfield & told him it was good game & he hoped Denver went all the way. I just hate that the media trys so hard to see BB as the bad guy all the time.

patsacolachick said:
Thanks so much for pointing this out, it is a shame that a man who just wants to coach and do his job right gets such grief from the Boston media, let alone the national media. I remember after the Denver playoff loss Mike Greenburg said on his show that BB wouldn't even shake Shanahan's hand afterward, when in fact BB met him at midfield & told him it was good game & he hoped Denver went all the way. I just hate that the media trys so hard to see BB as the bad guy all the time.

I agree - jealous of his success I guess.

Last edited:
PrairiePat said:
Then there was this statememnt from BB when Mangini was hired by the Jets:

"Eric worked his way from the most entry-level position to a position of great responsibility during several successful seasons," Belichick said in a press statement. "The opportunity Eric has now earned is truly an example of good things happening to a good, hardworking person, and I wish him well."

I fail to note a single trace of resentment or bitterness in that!
Not only no bitterness but he also acknowledged his first name, something he refuses to do now. OTOH, Nick Saban is also a division rival but Belichick has no problem acknowledging him or speaking highly of him.

2+2=4.

Bella*chick said:
This is a huge story, AGAIN?

Ah, the joys of not paying any attention at all to the media!

Actually, this may be more appealing subject to talk about than the offense was on Sunday. The BB-Mangini hatred is funny. The pathetic play on offense is not.

Mike Greenburg is a stooge, a Jet fan who dispises Bill Belichick, for walking out on his jets.. Maybee they fail to hear how Mangini was making his coaching staf while not getting ready for the Denver Broncos...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back