PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BELICHICK IS TO BLAME.

Status
Not open for further replies.
While Patricia is often seen as the scapegoat, I still would think that Bill Belichick is behind a good portion of the defensive scheming.

He may hand the reins over to Patricia for the game calls, but he certainly has the authority to change things if he sees a bad fit, and stays in constant communication throughout the game with him.

While Patricia is often seen as the scapegoat, I still would think that Bill Belichick is behind a good portion of the defensive scheming.

He may hand the reins over to Patricia for the game calls, but he certainly has the authority to change things if he sees a bad fit, and stays in constant communication throughout the game with him.
The Patriots aren't going to move on from Belichick unless he retires. That leaves the coordinators in the firing line. For one reason or another, it feels like same-old, same-old with them. For mine (I've been of this opinion for some time) I'd like some new ideas in the box to compliment Belichick's almanac.

Belichick is an amazing coach but sometimes you can fall too in love with your system and fail to see its shortcomings. BB is known to be a chameleon with a do what it takes to win each game approach. At the end of the season, it may be time to reassess his staff for the same reasons (to refresh his approach) rather than simply put it on the players.

• Agree
Reactions: BSR
Spikes wasn't perfect, but when we needed the ball, Spikes got it for us.

Except you are remembering incorrectly....very incorrectly. Mayo has made many more big plays and has "gotten the ball for us" way more times than Spikes ever did.

First 5 years:

Mayo---8 forced fumbles and 3 INTs with 7.5 sacks (FIVE recovered fumbles)

Spikes--5 forced fumbles and 2 INTs with 2.o sacks (ONE recovered fumble)

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MayoJe99.htm
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SpikBr99.htm

The Patriots aren't going to move on from Belichick unless he retires. That leaves the coordinators in the firing line. For one reason or another, it feels like same-old, same-old with them. For mine (I've been of this opinion for some time) I'd like some new ideas in the box to compliment Belichick's almanac.

Belichick is an amazing coach but sometimes you can fall too in love with your system and fail to see its shortcomings. BB is know to be a chameleon. At the end of the season, it may be time to reassess his staff rather than simply put it on the players.

I agree with you. I'm just pointing out the fact that I think he's way more to blame for some of the poor defensive gameplanning than some are realizing, and that Patricia may play the role of the scapegoat more than some think.

You said it best by pointing to the possibility of getting some fresh ideas though.

Suiting up 3 receivers seemed okay IF they were going to be focused on running the ball and playing some semblance of an effective defensive unit.

The only thing I can think of is the Pats were attempting to fool the Chiefs by having 5 rbs active making the Chiefs think we are going to run it down their throats and hope the Chiefs game plan mainly on the run. We then shock them with passing. If that is the case, they failed miserably. If that isn't the case, they still failed miserably at the game plan they went in with, whatever the heck it was.

The only thing I can think of is the Pats were attempting to fool the Chiefs by having 5 rbs active making the Chiefs think we are going to run it down their throats and hope the Chiefs game plan mainly on the run. We then shock them with passing. If that is the case, they failed miserably. If that isn't the case, they still failed miserably at the game plan they went in with, whatever the heck it was.
I don't understand why the Patriots didn't come out and pound the football against a run D giving up 130 yards per game. What better way to calm the nerves of the new OL, especially the rookies and get the Patriots into a groove.

I don't understand the Patriots approach to this season.

I don't understand why the Patriots didn't come out and pound the football against a run D giving up 130 yards per game. What better way to calm the nerves of the new OL, especially the rookies and get the Patriots into a groove.

I don't understand the Patriots approach to this season.

This.... is what I think everyone was expecting. I don't understand it either.

BB will take the blame and will fix the problem, but many fans will not like the fixes..

There is a litany of problems with this team, some fixable and some systemic... however, they will play better.

Firing McDaniels or Patricia will not accomplish much at this stage of the game, BB will assume more responsibility though.. to bring in new coordinators at this part of the season is folly...

The big error this free agency was not getting Ray Horton when he was available, bring him in and let him install his defense - with the players the Patriots have that would have been a joy to watch.

That was, pretty, erm, wow.

Glad I fell asleep last night.

Easley wasn't a crazy reach either. I have a hard time being critical of a pick with that much upside at the end of the first round.

I agree 100%. BB is not doing a good job as a GM, and his coaching prowess has slipped back to his 1st season level 5-11. The genius has seen the game pass him by.
Having to draft at near last place in every round every year hasn't helped the draft situation at all. And Belichick's obsession with Rutgers players is a problem.
Hey....some of his best friends are at Rutgers! ....He's got to help them out somehow....even at the expense of his team. If any other coach made the blunders in personnel BB has made.....they would have been fired a long time ago......Krafty will never fire BB......so get used to the ......"buffoonery" (great friggin word)

The big error this free agency was not getting Ray Horton when he was available, bring him in and let him install his defense - with the players the Patriots have that would have been a joy to watch.

And who would be the head coach in your scenario ? Because by bringing somebody in who installs their own defense you essentially say that you want BB to be gone. You are aware of that, right ?

I think that it's time to get a real GM. We have seen several times how head coaches start to struggle when they try do to both coaching and GM duties. BB has made some great moves in the draft and some bad ones. But I think he would be a better coach if he didn't have to do both GM and HC stuff all the time.

After Dobson is healthy Amendola should probably never be activated ever again.
It just amazes me when Dobson and Thompkins are inactive. But for some mysterious reason Amendola is active. The guy who hasn't shown much at all and doesn't play special teams.

Wonder about the Easley pick at this point. I hope it's still his injury, but his explosion is definitely less noticeable. He needs it because he gets absolutely mauled when OL get their hands on him. I was hoping two ACL surgeries would not be a big deal, but common sense should have told me otherwise. He looks tiny out there.

Easley was a wild card on EVERY other teams draft board. He had INCREDIBLE talent.....AMAZING speed and quickness....toughness....alot of things u cant coach and then came the acl tears.....he has not been close to the same player ...and never will again. ANOTHER REACH or poor and ignorant decision by our general manager/defensive genius....

I think that it's time to get a real GM. We have seen several times how head coaches start to struggle when they try do to both coaching and GM duties. BB has made some great moves in the draft and some bad ones. But I think he would be a better coach if he didn't have to do both GM and HC stuff all the time.

And we have another one..

You are aware that this will not happen as long as BB is in charge here, right ? You can either have the full Belichick package or none of it. There is no middleground.

This should have happened about 9 years ago

It's alarming that we couldn't exploit one of the worst (if not the worst) secondary in the league. Their starting corners are horrible and their Pro Bowl saftey didn't play.

Yes....but you would need RECEIVERS to accomplish this. Gronk is not right....and perhaps wont be for a long time if ever.....double up Edelman and you shut down our "receiving corps" last night...that combined with Brady on the decline, a new patchwork OL......and asinine coaching .....and you dont have alot of hope last night....just epic failure By BB.......like the title states....IT ALL starts with him and his failures as our coach and GM..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down