PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

BELICHICK IS TO BLAME.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was GRR good?

That OL was a mess that was schemed around......they could do that with this unit but the QB won't like it....either that or McDaniel don't know how

Please tell me how you "scheme around" a weak O-line. If the players can't go tow to toe with the D-linemen you're going to have a problem, scheme doesn't fix the problem of the other guy simply beating you.

Welker costed little money, yet Belichick traded him due to personal beef, for example....

Belichick did not trade Wes Welker. He offered him MORE money than he eventually signed with in Denver, and Welker kept turning it down during the previous year when he made 10+ million under the franchise tag.

Even in the end, Belichick still offered Welker a fair, comparable contract at 2/10 that had way more guaranteed year one money than Denver's 2/12 offer, which he signed for.

We are all in the mood to pile on Bill Belichick, but I'm not sure that we're really qualified to do so without knowing the ins and outs of some of these situations.

Please tell me how you "scheme around" a weak O-line. If the players can't go tow to toe with the D-linemen you're going to have a problem, scheme doesn't fix the problem of the other guy simply beating you.

I'm guessing that he means using more max protect schemes and/or have Gronkowski chipping to Solder's side.

As you said, even that can be a failure if the talent is not there.

On the other hand, I'm not totally convinced that this is definitely the worst OL that we've had in the BB tenure. It could be a combination of coaching and mediocre talent--or even poor communication and/or lack of cohesion as well. Maybe even all of those things?

The interior line was passable on Monday. If the tackles can get it together and they are given time to gel as a unit I think we see marked improvement.

The @ssclown calling the plays needs to go. I hope it's something similar to the Denver stories, Josh being a dbag and Dobson sticking up for himself.

"Hey Charlie, Bill here, what do you say we get the band back together?"
"Sure Bill, that would be golly darn tootin!"
"Aaron, you can go let the idiot know, Charlie, you can catch the next flight?"

Wow, such terrible drafting, poor play calling, not using the right players, etc. It's a wonder how we ever avg 12 wins a season. For a guy that has 5 superbowl rings, don't you think he just might have a little more football knowledge then your avg armchair GM who watches games on TV.

I know it's part of the football experience to ***** and complain when things don't go right but really Belichick isn't to blame. With all the injuries and problems we had last year, the Pats still made it to the AFC game. Regardless if you think he is a bad GM, the results speak for itself. Not every year since he took over the Pats has been a glorious success and maybe this year may or may not be one of them. But some how the Pats have one of the best records in Football.

But after FOUR games, some of you are in full fledged panic mode. Anybody remember Brian Waters? Signed Sept 4, 2011 to bolster a weak offensive line. How did that fix work out. How about last year and a decimated DL and how he managed to patch those holes. Just take a deep breath and let's see what happens.

Last edited:
Just a note on the subject without any analysis - Of all the current head coaches only Marvin Smith has been the coach of the same team without winning a Super Bowl longer than Bill Belichick.

How many HCs are there in the league that have been with one team longer than BB has been with the Pats?

How many HCs are there in the league that have been with one team longer than BB has been with the Pats?
I am pretty sure he is the longest tenured but I would have to double check.

I think the problem with BB began quite a few years ago. He's still a great coach because of his preparation, but all his original and best ideas have been copied, from situational football, to clock management, to bend but don't break, to team professionalism, to one game at a time, among others. Further, given his success, every team has studied BB more than anyone else. So many times in the past I've heard announcers refer to a late season game against a weaker opponent as that team's Superbowl -- the idea that beating the Patriots would be huge for any team. Well, teams now know BB -- they've copied him, they've studied him, at times they have obsessed over his game plans.

In the past, even when the Pats played a stronger opponent, BB could always find ways to make the other team miserable -- they might beat us, but they wouldn't get to play their game. In the past, even when had glaring weaknesses, BB found ways to hide those weaknesses or correct them. But, our opponents have been working for years to solve the problems that BB-coached team present. I think the best teams have, and that knowledge is slowly filtering through the NFL.

I wouldn't put it past BB to turn this team around, but he also faces the fact that Wilford, Gronk, and Brady, while still exceptional and among the best at their positions, may not be the superstars they once were. Add to that the reality that Dante Scarnecchia always found a way to make our OL work, even when it lacked talent. Dave DeGuglielmo just doesn't seem to be as talented. And, what's up with Josh McDaniels! Did anyone see an offensive strategy in that game? The whole game we seemed to be improvising, and the absence of Dobson and Thompkins, our deep threats, basically signaled to Any Reid our offensive strategy. So, our problems run deep.

If the Pats are going to turn things around, they are going to need a BB who once again thinks outside of the box and also gets a handle on what other teams now know about the Pats. The Pats have enough talent to be at least competitive against any team, but the NFL is obviously in the post-BB era. BB must adapt.

It looks dire, I hope that is the case.

Belichick did not trade Wes Welker. He offered him MORE money than he eventually signed with in Denver, and Welker kept turning it down during the previous year when he made 10+ million under the franchise tag.

Even in the end, Belichick still offered Welker a fair, comparable contract at 2/10 that had way more guaranteed year one money than Denver's 2/12 offer, which he signed for.

We are all in the mood to pile on Bill Belichick, but I'm not sure that we're really qualified to do so without knowing the ins and outs of some of these situations.

Again, let's stop with the Welker myth. The Patriots had years to give him a legit deal, but never offered him one.

I think the problem with BB began quite a few years ago. He's still a great coach because of his preparation, but all his original and best ideas have been copied, from situational football, to clock management, to bend but don't break, to team professionalism, to one game at a time, among others. Further, given his success, every team has studied BB more than anyone else. So many times in the past I've heard announcers refer to a late season game against a weaker opponent as that team's Superbowl -- the idea that beating the Patriots would be huge for any team. Well, teams now know BB -- they've copied him, they've studied him, at times they have obsessed over his game plans.

I've suspected the 1st time the Giants played the Pats in the SB, it was Tom Coughlin knowledge of BB when they were both Parcells assistants that could have made the difference. That can cut both ways, but somehow I think Coughlin got the edge on this one.

I've suspected the 1st time the Giants played the Pats in the SB, it was Tom Coughlin knowledge of BB when they were both Parcells assistants that could have made the difference. That can cut both ways, but somehow I think Coughlin got the edge on this one.

I think 2007 was when the offense stopped having taking what was given to them as a primary principle and started being less scheme diverse and stopped being able to adjust to a very aggressive defense

Peyton Manning has about 1/3 the arm strength he used to have, he still plays well because Elway surrounds him with talent, Elway spends every last nickel of cap space because he knows after Manning it is likely going to be a lot harder. Belichick the GM is to blame, I hate say it because I idolize the man (as a coach) but he has let the team down with his personnel decisions.

Exactly Brady6, That's difference between Broncos & Patriots. Elway seein light at end of tunnel is either bein successful or a speeding locomotive comin right at Broncos but either way he gave Manning all his tools to never miss a beat especially at stage of his career. Imagine what Brady could do with Manning's receivers? That washed up, Brady's DONE talk would NEVER Be even thought of let alone topic of conversation.

Exactly Brady6, That's difference between Broncos & Patriots. Elway seein light at end of tunnel is either bein successful or a speeding locomotive comin right at Broncos but either way he gave Manning all his tools to never miss a beat especially at stage of his career. Imagine what Brady could do with Manning's receivers? That washed up, Brady's DONE talk would NEVER Be even thought of let alone topic of conversation.

I agree; if Brady had Manning's receivers and OL, he would be tearing it up.

BB as a GM is mediocre. Not a disaster, but not nearly the best. He has a particular blind stop when drafting WRs. I do not know who is behind the disastrous chiseling of contracts, maybe BB maybe J. Kraft.

If BB had a GM who was as bad as he has been, that GM would have been fired.

i love BB and what he has done for this team...however i have been saying this for a while. The game is passing BB by and he needs to quit being stubborn and adapt to the times. This is not the 80s and we dont need 270lb LBs. We need speed and more athletic players. We need to tweak the offense so that more FAs and draftees can come in an be successful. He cant continue to draft like he has and think he is outsmarting everyone. Things need to change and the Krafts need to sit down with him and have a serious conversation with him. Things need to change

And when Giant's Tom Coughlin changed his approach of coaching he was on his way out couple of times in 2007, he changed primarily because he was losing not only on score board but in his locker room and Giants bought into it and well we all know how that played out.
And I'm not comparing those 2 team's personel just that Bill needs to change things and he might just have too much on his plate to handle it all.

I agree; if Brady had Manning's receivers and OL, he would be tearing it up.

BB as a GM is mediocre. Not a disaster, but not nearly the best. He has a particular blind stop when drafting WRs. I do not know who is behind the disastrous chiseling of contracts, maybe BB maybe J. Kraft.

If BB had a GM who was as bad as he has been, that GM would have been fired.

Well Said/Typed as I just stated in a post to Boston Boxer about BB having too much on his plate, I guess I was referring to his GM duties along with his every week game plans of Xs & Os and Drafting as well.

Again, let's stop with the Welker myth. The Patriots had years to give him a legit deal, but never offered him one.

Which other team treated their #1 WR like the Pats treated Welker(while that WR was still in his prime)?

This team went shopping at Walmart last year. How'd that shopping spree work out?

Honestly, I think BB is tired of dealing with the Bundchen family psyche and is rearranging the furniture for the future....could be trying to get Tommy to quit because there some hefty guarantees kicking in at the end of the season. I think it all started against the Ravens in the afcc when after the game, BB overheard Giselle telling Tom how heroic he looked when he slid and kicked up his foot to keep the Raven away....she said it reminded her of a modeling pose. BB ran to a garbage can and puked and said 'I gotta do something'

Well, two things here. First, the poster who I was responding to claimed that "Belichick traded Welker," so we know that's not the truth. The "blame it on Belichick game" has been taken to new heights this week.

Second, I think it's up for debate over whether or not they ever offered him a "legit" deal as you say. I fully understand that you do not believe they did, but there are some who look at the reports of 3/20 and 2/16 and believe they did; especially considering that it was more than DEN's 2/12 offer.

Unfortunately, I don't think we have enough proof one way or another, so there's going to be a divide on this one. Personally, I think the big difference was that the front office saw fit to include the 10m dollar franchise tag, and Welker's camp did not--but that's just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back