"Belichick is the most valuable piece of sports property"

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
another of those bandwagon articles but some good pts

http://www.sportsline.com/columns/story/9770095

He is given credit by some, but there are still an alarming number of goofs who want to credit Brady when things go well for the Patriots and rip Belichick when things go bad.

Many in the media hate Belichick. They despise him. He can be a pain, to be sure. He sometimes has as much personality as a piece of foam rubber. If it were up to him, the media's private parts would be irradiated so we could not multiply.

His chilly greeting to his former assistant and current Jets coach Eric Mangini after the Patriots beat the Jets earlier this year was painful to watch. Is it going to kill you to show a little warmth to an old pal, Bill? Jeez.

I understand all that.

What is happening, though, is the media's dislike of Belichick affects the judgment of him as a coach and general manager. That is why so many people underestimated the Patriots this year despite a lengthy track record of losing key personnel in the past and still winning.

Many in the media wanted the Patriots to fail so Belichick would be taught a lesson and get a little egg on the face.

It is an interesting phenomenon, who we like and who we do not. Bill Parcells treats the media like the plague; he spits on us. Yet writers and TV types still like him because he is an entertaining quote.

It's about results, isn't it? Not who gives the best press conference.
Thats as accurate as it gets..

Last edited:
That is about as accurate an assessment as I've seen in print. I'm impressed.

I happen to love BB for the same reasons the media seems to hate him so much. Today's press conference was a case in point: a reporter asked a perfectly good question about teams which have had success against the Colts in the past, including us (obviously), and a few others and asked if a certain style of play (I think he said the 3-4, but it's sorta hard to hear the questions sometimes) might be a common contributing factor to success. BB paused for a long time and then finally muttered, "I don't know". That was it. That was the answer. I mean, you KNOW that was not the answer but that was all he was willing to give. The room was painfully silent, and I just burst out laughing.

I find him HIGHLY entertaining.

LOL, the Herald and Globe blogs both make it out to not have been one of his better press conferences :D I'm with you - screw it, if he doesn't want to talk, don't talk.

BelichickFan said:
LOL, the Herald and Globe blogs both make it out to not have been one of his better press conferences :D I'm with you - screw it, if he doesn't want to talk, don't talk.
iam pretty sure they asked stupid questions like how he feels about Adam V ..duh?
anyone asks him intelligent questiosn like say comparing vikings tampa 2 to the colts tampa 2 he will happily oblige..they ask nonsense , they get nonsense

Last edited:
SVN said:
iam pretty sure they asked stupid questions like how he feels about Adam V ..duh?
You mean like this from the Herald's blog :

"And when asked if he (Belichick) regretted the kicker’s departure, he tersely responded, “I never said that.â€"

As if they expected him to say "Yeah, we f*cked that one up" :rolleyes:

BelichickFan said:
You mean like this from the Herald's blog :

"And when asked if he (Belichick) regretted the kicker’s departure, he tersely responded, “I never said that.â€"

As if they expected him to say "Yeah, we f*cked that one up" :rolleyes:

The whole thing was totally awkward. Shorter than usual too. I honestly don't know what they expected him to say either....just trying to get their weekly headlines, the way they did with Mangini.

Stick it to 'em, BB.

Bella*chick said:
The whole thing was totally awkward. Shorter than usual too. I honestly don't know what they expected him to say either....just trying to get their weekly headlines, the way they did with Mangini.

Stick it to 'em, BB.
OK, sounds like a "must listen" for me tonight :)

I saw the video of Belichick's press conference. If anythng I saw a guy who has had probably two or three hours of sleep in the last 48-72 hours. He just needed to go to bed!!

Up Monday prior to a nite game; the night game itself; and a plane ride getting in @ 6:00AM or so. Tuesday is day off for the players but the Coaches have to develop the Game Plan fo rthe Colts. I suspect thay had a good start before Monday, but the last game had to be analyzed, changes incorporated, and the GP finalized to give to the players today.

Only tonight, will the Coaches get a full nights sleep, and try to catch up on their rest.

Let him go to bed!!!

Last edited:
BelichickFan said:
OK, sounds like a "must listen" for me tonight :)

Oh, it is. Like I said, I actually burst out laughing. That doesn't usually happen.:)

That press conference after the Denver game last year was probably BB's worst.

That being said, I do think he is totally entertaining and hilarious. The media isn't subtle enough to get his humor though. And they aren't smart enough to ask him questions that will elicit meaningful answers.

actually did any one ask him about red auerbach considering BB loves history and has gone to a few celtics games ?

SVN said:
actually did any one ask him about red auerbach considering BB loves history and has gone to a few celtics games ?

Hey, that's a good point. I was up and around for the last part of it, so I didn't hear, but from what I heard, they did not.

Good point.

He was pretty surly today, it didn't seem like he would have had a lot of patience for a question about how he felt about the passing of Red.
We forget too, his son's name & situation were just splashed all over the hometown newspapers two days ago, I can't imagine a room full of reporters is very inviting to him right now. :mad:
Plus he did look very, very tired.

One other point to consider beyond the excellent thoughts above - his team just treated a pretty good team like they were a bunch of powder puff players, utterly dominating them in every phase of the game. The Bradys and Bruschis will celebrate then shut down the euphoria and prepare for Indy, but this is a very young team. BB kept 11 players from this year's draft if you include the Practice Squad. The O-line has baby fat in places. The receiving corps is more or less brand new with veterans coming from losing programs. A grumpy head coach putting the evil eye on his assistants and team leaders may be callled for - it's kind of like the scene in Bull Durham where the coach takes Kevin Kostner's charater's advice to "scare" the "kids" and throws an armload of bats into the shower before holding a team meeting.

Indy is coming and the man you have to be afraid of isn't wearing a blue horseshoe, it's a gray hoodie. Hit the books and have your answers down "PAT" if you don't want some grief before Sunday night.

Yet another thing that surely has affected BB is his son's arrest. Given that it occurred just a day or two prior to the MNF game, there hasn't been much time for him to deal with that while game-planning for Indy. It's got to be a taxing stretch for him mentally.

Finally, proper words for my very first signature.

Too bad the important theme of this thread
got waylaid into a bunch of pop psychoanalysis of his press conferences
and sleep deprivation.

In sports today, there is no single commodity more imperative to his or her respective franchise than Belichick.

Belichick is the most valuable piece of sports property going, more valuable than Kobe Bryant to the Los Angeles Lakers, Tony La Russa to the St. Louis Cardinals or Jim Tressel to Ohio State. More than Peyton "Stat Boy" Manning, the ultra-smart Mark Cuban or Paul Tagliabue was or David Stern or Bud Selig is now.

The best comparison to what Belichick is doing is what Paul Brown accomplished in Cleveland in the 1950s.

And make no mistake: It is almost all Belichick. He has an outstanding, supportive owner and a franchise quarterback, but this is Belichick's deal.

For some time i have believed that to be simply the plain truth.
Comments ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back