PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick in playoffs when favored v. when underdog

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFaninAZ

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Has Belichick ever lost a playoff game as a HC in which his team was favored? How often has he won when an underdog.

I don't know what the actual spreads were in these games. My guesses are below, please correct if wrong. If I'm right about my guesses, he would be 10-0 as a favorite and 4-3 as an underdog. Maybe we were the favorites in the Denver game, although I would tend to doubt it, which would make it 10-1 and 3-3.

v. Jags (favorite) W

v. Jets (favorite) W
v. Chargers (underdog?) W
v. Colts (underdog) L

v. Jags (favorite) W
v. Broncos (slight underdog?) L

v. Colts (favorite?) W
v. Steelers (underdog) W
v. Eagles (favorite) W

v. Titans (favorite) W
v. Colts (??? favorite I'll guess) W
v. Panthers (favorite) W

v. Oakland (probably small favorite) W
v. Steelers (underdog) W
v. Rams (underdog) W

v. Patriots (?? probably favorite) W
v. Steelers (probably underdog) L

We were favorites against the Steelers in 04.

Really? We were favored in Pittsburgh vs. the 16-1 Steelers?

I doubt that, pretty sure I remember everyone saying we were going to get smoked that game, even though we had a 14-2 reg. season.

Last edited:
from what i get out of this, it seems as if Belichick wins 98% of the time no matter what.

Yes i remember the Steelers were angry about being underdogs at home. It had mostly to do with them looking awful against the Jets and the Pats were very impressive against the Colt.

I think you should look up what Belichick's record this season.

We were favored against Pitt, however, by gametime vs Indy that same year we were a 1pt dog, we opned as a 2pt fav and everyone bet them because of the injuries in our secondary and because they effortlessly scored 49 vs denver the week before.....

I'm pretty sure we've been favored in 17 games this season.

Perhaps someone can go back and check the stats to see how that's worked out for us so far.

I'm fine on continuing that trend as I tend to be a bit superstitous about such things.

Huh? That was 96. Belichick was coaching the Browns in 94 and were the other wildcard team besides the Pats, who lost the wildcard game vs Cleveland. Belichick's team definitely would have been underdogs in that game va the Steelers although I don't recall any details.

EDIT: WHOOPS, I THOUGHT THAT SAID 94.

Last edited:
Really? We were favored in Pittsburgh vs. the 16-1 Steelers?

I doubt that, pretty sure I remember everyone saying we were going to get smoked that game, even though we had a 14-2 reg. season.
I disagree with everyone saying they would "smoke" the Pats. The Steelers barely got by the Jets in the divisionals, while the Pats had shut down the Colts. I don't recall, but I would not be surprised that they were favorites, but I'm guessing that most of the nation saw that 15-1 regular season record and the fact that they beat the Pats 34-20 on Halloween, and would have tended to bet on the Steelers.

We were favored against Pitt, however, by gametime vs Indy that same year we were a 1pt dog, we opned as a 2pt fav and everyone bet them because of the injuries in our secondary and because they effortlessly scored 49 vs denver the week before.....

Ok, good -- so switch those two but the numbers stay the same. 10-0 when favored and 4-3 when the underdog.

That's pretty darned good. It's one thing to say 14-3 in the playoffs but to break it down that way really gives it some more meaning to me.

He's won all 10 that his teams were "supposed" to win, and more than 50 percent of those he wasn't supposed to win. Doesn't, of course, do us much good this weekend if that 10-0 turns into 10-1. But if you're looking for trends, that's a nice one.

I'm pretty sure we've been favored in 17 games this season.

Perhaps someone can go back and check the stats to see how that's worked out for us so far.

I'm fine on continuing that trend as I tend to be a bit superstitous about such things.

Not sure I understand the point. Yes, obviously the trend this year is good. Can't be any better.

The question was to see how Belichick teams have done historically in games, like tomorrow, when favored, over multiple years. The answer is he's never lost one, while at the same time he's made it so that other coaches lost 4 of 7 such games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes