PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick: I just hope I can do a little better job [in 2008]

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobias funke

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Another great article from Mike Reiss, continuing his interview of Belichick:

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba.../02/19/belichick_looks_back_and_ahead/?page=1

One thing I agreed with that got lost in the shuffle lately:

Asked to pinpoint a turning point during the year, Belichick turned the calendar back to early November.

"If there was a key point in the season, it was probably the Indianapolis game [Nov. 4]," he said. "They had beaten us three straight times, so everybody felt good walking out of there."

On that day, the Patriots overcame a 20-10 fourth-quarter deficit to come away with a 24-20 road victory that made them 9-0.

"It was a big win for us," said Belichick. "I don't think anyone felt like that was our best game of the year, but we were still able to win."

Also, ESPN will be reporting this one as "Belichick guarantees 19-0 season in 2008"

Last edited:
Belichick acknowledged it was a tough part of the schedule for preparation purposes.
more stories like this

"You just felt like you were behind going into each week," he said. "It's hard to get on your regular routine in terms of film and all that."

One line of thinking is that those games - the Eagles and Ravens nearly pulled upsets - took a lot out of the Patriots coming down the stretch, when they traditionally have played their best football. Belichick didn't see it that way.

"I think we came through that OK," he said. "Every team, at the end of the 16-game regular-season schedule, and a couple playoff games, it's going to take something out of you. It should, if you put anything into it.

"But I think we were OK. I don't think we were drained. We just needed to do a little better that last game."

Good. I'm glad he's not buying into the thinking that their approach was wrong and attempting to go 19-0 was the problem.

Felger was having one of his jealousy induced melt down rants yesterday. This should insure another today.

This season obviously thrilled and devastated him. And moreso than any previous one. For him to not have reviewed the game film 16 days later speaks volumes... And he never did his wrap up show with WEEI, although I have a feeling that might yet happen next week given he's emerging from the cave.

This is why I always temper my outbursts here based on my appreciation for what they must be going through. We just watch and follow it as we choose to at our leisure, they lived it every day for 8+ months.

Sounds like everyone is technically still in play pending mutual decisions.

What did Felger say yesterday?

He went off on Mike, said he e-mailed him about letting BB off the hook, i.e. reiterating his explanation of misinterpreting the taping rule. Then he went thermo nuclear on how in HIS opinion, which he was going to spend the day selling as opposed to gauging anyone elses, this was a clear sign that things were much worse than even he imagined because why else would BB and SP be talking...Mentioned how the sheep (us homer fans) were spinning the statement as a good sign just proved we don't have a clue. The old damned if they do as they were damned when they don't rationale which is why they usually just don't talk much at all...

Kept talking about the tape as if it has to exist, and if it does no matter how it came to BB will just HAVE TO be suspended because the boss is always responsible for his idiot employees actions and how can taping of a walkthrough not undermine the integrity of the game... It's the reverse of the logic he'd use if he were to decide to talk about the potential fallout at the Herald if Walsh doesn't have THAT tape.

Michael made choices over the last couple of years that adversely impacted his insider access based on his desire to generate radio ratings based on taking a sensational or contrarian approach to covering this team. When he sees someone else get access who didn't take that approach it infuriates him and so he labels them an ass kisser and proceeds to denigrate their work or opinion or it's value basis. Reiss is right up there on Mike's jealousy meter now along side Michael Holley. How can you possibly hope to ferret out the truth unless you do so after proving you are willing prove your independence or "objectivity" as he likes to portray it by breaking confidences, hyper-criticizing, mocking, or oenly disparaging your subject. Since he wasn't always this way I assume it's an approach to journalism he adopted on the fly after becoming a multi-mediot and not something they taught him at BU.

Last edited:
BB's comments at last give me closure. He takes a typical, pragmatic Belichickian view of an NFL game as coming down to the team that was able to make "one more play."

While Coach makes a point of not limiting his comments to the final drives, for me, the Giants made the play(s) at that time (Eli eluding the rush and the absurdly impossible helmet catch) and, for us, two great players, who have given us a lot to cheer about over the years, didn't make plays (Asante's missed INT and Rodney's inability to jar the ball loose).

If it's good enough for Coach, it's good enough for me.

End of story. Time to move on.

Finally, I felt a little less wimpy when I read that BB hasn't yet watched a tape of the game. I'm not ready either.

Belichick was asked if it was challenging to put the pieces together for 2008 not knowing whether linebackers Junior Seau and Tedy Bruschi - both of whom had contracts expire and could retire - will return.

"There isn't any player that I think I could sit here and tell you, that was on our roster at the end of the year, [who] definitely won't be back," he said. "I'm not saying they are all going to be back, by any stretch. Players that are unrestricted, we'll talk to each of them. Some of those players may go to free agency; that doesn't mean they won't come back.

With 2008 marking his ninth season in New England, Belichick reiterated his thoughts from last summer regarding how much he enjoys being Patriots coach."Oh yeah, sure, absolutely. I just wish it had ended a little bit differently last year," he said. "I like working for the Kraft family, I like working here with the Patriots - our players, our staff. It's a situation I enjoy. I just hope I can do a little better job."

I love BB, and we are so blessed as fans to have him as our coach! Seriously....just reading this article makes me realize how many people envy the fact they don't have him...dream on all you hating losers! Get ready for '08, we got some unfinished business. :D

I love BB, and we are so blessed as fans to have him as our coach! Seriously....just reading this article makes me realize how many people envy the fact they don't have him...dream on all you hating losers! Get ready for '08, we got some unfinished business. :D

Totally agree. I hope this guy coaches the Patriots forever.

Bill Belichick kind of reminds me of Tom Landry (who suffered a lot of devastating play-off losses before winning two SB). Both show little emotion on the sideline. And they are completely professional in there approach.

This SB XLII loss obviously hurt Bill greatly. I guess looking through the schedule, every game outside the division was very tough. I still think DEVINE INTERVENTION beat us in the end.

Felger is a crybaby. He's mad that he CAN'T get BB to sit down and talk to him.
The Boston Herald will shed many tears in the future for the crap they pulled before the Super Bowl. It would not shock me if the team starts to limit their access.

Holy crap. Now I am pumped for 2008.

So much for my new philosophy of taking a step back and not getting so riled up about the Pats.

Bring on... the WORLD!!!!!!!!!

He went off on Mike, said he e-mailed him about letting BB off the hook, i.e. reiterating his explanation of misinterpreting the taping rule. Then he went thermo nuclear on how in HIS opinion, which he was going to spend the day selling as opposed to gauging anyone elses, this was a clear sign that things were much worse than even he imagined because why else would BB and SP be talking...Mentioned how the sheep (us homer fans) were spinning the statement as a good sign just proved we don't have a clue. The old damned if they do as they were damned when they don't rationale which is why they usually just don't talk much at all...

Kept talking about the tape as if it has to exist, and if it does no matter how it came to BB will just HAVE TO be suspended because the boss is always responsible for his idiot employees actions and how can taping of a walkthrough not undermine the integrity of the game... It's the reverse of the logic he'd use if he were to decide to talk about the potential fallout at the Herald if Walsh doesn't have THAT tape.

Michael made choices over the last couple of years that adversely impacted his insider access based on his desire to generate radio ratings based on taking a sensational or contrarian approach to covering this team. When he sees someone else get access who didn't take that approach it infuriates him and so he labels them an ass kisser and proceeds to denigrate their work or opinion or it's value basis. Reiss is right up there on Mike's jealousy meter now along side Michael Holley. How can you possibly hope to ferret out the truth unless you do so after proving you are willing prove your independence or "objectivity" as he likes to portray it by breaking confidences, hyper-criticizing, mocking, or oenly disparaging your subject. Since he wasn't always this way I assume it's an approach to journalism he adopted on the fly after becoming a multi-mediot and not something they taught him at BU.
Thanks for relaying that about Felger..I did not listen and am not at all surprised..he's jealous to the point where he looks green...don't like him at all..won't listen for more than a few minutes OR until he makes a dumb statement whichever happens first..Felger..Tomase..Borges..they are all in the same mold...

Felger is a crybaby. He's mad that he CAN'T get BB to sit down and talk to him.
The Boston Herald will shed many tears in the future for the crap they pulled before the Super Bowl. It would not shock me if the team starts to limit their access.

Yes, limit the Herald. They will obviously continue hating, but they don't deserve to be around such an organization.

Last edited:
One thing that bothers me is an old quote by Belichick during the 2003 season: "We are not collecting talent, we are building a team."

Well, last offseason NE collected A LOT of talent, and out of the gate the Pats were a great team. But instead of the "team-building" that normally takes place over the course of a season, it seemed more like the Pats were treading water down the stretch. Don't get me wrong, the "treading water" Pats were still great, but there was a lack of forward momentum going into the Super Bowl.

I do believe the Pats will likely not be as good as 2007, yet still will win the Super Bowl, if that makes any sense.

Part of teambuilding is collecting talent, it's just that collecting it alone isn't team building.

I think perhaps the 2008 Patriots were so talented they peaked early. That wasn't entirely their fault, that guys meshed quickly and did their jobs isn't a bad thing. I think what happened is they shocked (and apparently in the process offended the sensibilities of) the league but the league gradually caught up to them and they had the misfortunate luck of the draw to face some pretty decent teams that had underachieved all season at a time when they were playing for pride (or a jumpstart into realistically advancing in the playoffs in the Giants case) down the stretch. Lots of teams with lots of talent folded down the stretch. We didn't fold until the second half of a Superbowl. And again, facing an underachieving team that had both finally come together (in part due to addition by subtraction and the folding of their opposition) and as massive underdogs had nothing to lose in adopting a suicide bomber approach to this game. They decided to take their best shot by pressuring Brady AT ANY COST while playing conservatively until taking whatever chances remained if they remained close enough down the stretch to have a shot to win.

As for how good the team can be in 2008, if you believe in teambuilding as opposed to talent acquisition it certainly has the potential to be better even if it isn't nearly as "talented". But who is to say it won't be more talented pending FA and the draft... Don't make the mistake of confusing name recognition with talent.

I agree with MoLewis. Maybe we peaked a little early, but I didn't see any lack of momentum through the playoffs, or even right before. Beating the Jaguars and Chargers were big accomplishments. 26 for 28 will probably not be beaten for a very, very long time, and don't forget that the last thing the team did before Arizona was run an almost 10 minute drive right down the Chargers' throats.

I mean, when the biggest weakness of your team is that one of the best pass rushes ever can beat your team once in an entire season, by 3 points.. you're really searching for weaknesses.

I think this "treading effect" you guys refer to was not so much due to any team process but in fact was due to the ramping up to ridiculous proportions the outside pressure put on this team from every angle possible in the press. If you go back to the week following the Giants game season finale you'll find a 1000% increase in Spygate related stories nationwide, with the Spector clown show and Tomase's stab in the back just before the Super Bowl serving disrupt the team's focus. There is no doubt the tighter of the two teams in the Super Bowl was the Patriots and my opinion is this was due to the incredible amount of outside pressure exerted on this team the entire post season, far more pressure than ANY TEAM has ever had in ANY postseason.

reading this article has made me even more pumped up for next season man i cant wait

I agree with the Landry comparison. Both could have ,any bad things said about them by former employees due to their cold nature, but both were about business. I think bill's right. They choked, but that wasn't just a game. Eli avoiding the rush, the catches, those are plays that happen. It's not like 07 where the Colts o what they want when they wanted to down the field. the Giants made critical plays and out alsted the Pats. Give them credit.

I'm just getting sick of the crap about collecting talent and not a team. When the Pats did nothing in 05/06, they were cheap. Too content. Now they just want talent? Wrong. They needed WRs, they fixed it. They need LBs, and they're trying to fix it. What is so wrong about building a team? I find it funny. The Pats make a simple INT, we don't hear any of this bull**** about "team". we heart what a great job they did bringing in who they did and we'd be the ebst ever, blah blah.

I realize it stings. Trust me, we're all feeling it. But the total philosophy change from people is down right pathetic. This team isn't trying to add stars. They're filling holes. # 4 Is longgggg over due folks.

Since he wasn't always this way I assume it's an approach to journalism he adopted on the fly after becoming a multi-mediot and not something they taught him at BU.

I was a BU film student who had the unfortunate experience of having to take Comm 101 his freshman year. As the majority of Comm majors are journalists, it was pretty much a journalist course. It was the single worse course I took in my academic career and the students were morons willingly accepting the crap fed their way. No offense to any current BU journalist students as I'm a BU grad myself in a different major, but it's no wonder Felger and anyone else who studies journalism - as its currently taught - turns out the way they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes