PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick has some real anger towards the Herald Reporters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Pa Patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I dont know if its because of his personal life, or the guys from the Herald are annoying, but when you listen to his press confrence you could hear how cold his anwsers to Tommose and Felger as a appose to say Mike Reiss who he treats with a wealth of respect.. Tommose is a dork , I dont mind Felger, but he could be annoying, so I guess I would be the same if I were Bill.

Did you hear Alan Greenberg's question near the end?

Did you hear Alan Greenberg's question near the end?
What was it ? It couldn't have been as good as when he asked for Belchick's phone number so he could get quick info like others - that was classic :D

Re: Belichick has some real anger towards Charley Casserly

I dont know if its because of his personal life, or the guys from the Herald are annoying, but when you listen to his press confrence you could hear how cold his anwsers to Tommose and Felger as a appose to say Mike Reiss who he treats with a wealth of respect.. Tommose is a dork , I dont mind Felger, but he could be annoying, so I guess I would be the same if I were Bill.

I think he is really pissed at Charley Casserly.. two press conferences in a row

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2006/12/bills_take_68.html

"There are plenty of people on that committee and they love to talk about the rules they made and how great they are and all that. The Charley Casserly's of the world, who have all the answers to everything. Talk to them."

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2006/12/bills_followup_2.html

"Asked about those remarks today, Belichick said the Patriots "haven't heard anything from the league." When asked if teams were allowed to have cameras on the sideline, Belichick responded by saying "why don't you go talk to Charley Casserly, he seems to have all the answers on everything."

Come on Pats1, don't leave us hanging. :D
What did Greenberg say?

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

There was a light moment at the end of the press conference, when Belichick was asked his thoughts on NFL rules that protect quarterbacks.

"My background is as a defensive coach, so you can figure out the answer to that question," Belichick said. "But the bottom line is that nobody cares what I think. It doesn't make any difference."

When a reporter told Belichick that his opinion was valued by him, Belichick stopped his thought and laughed. Belichick urged the reporter to check with others.

"Again, that's one of those things that I don't have any control over -- do you want replay, do you not want replay? Pass interefernce at the point, or a 15-yard penalty? I would say go talk to the genuises who make the rules, because they are the ones who make it and they have all the answers. ... There are plenty of people on that committee and they love to talk about the rules they made and how great they are and all that. The Charley Casserly's of the world, who have all the answers to everything. Talk to them."

i think this thing with casserly started during the stephen neal deal when casserly accused the pats of something in that deal..dont remember what

Here's the full transcript of Greenberg's question:

AG: "Bill, slightly unrelated topic - the way that the QBs are protected by the rules these days. Obviously, it benefits you sometimes and it's against you others. What's your general feeling about the way the rule is interpreted or is done out versus years ago. Do you think that it's a rule change that has gone too far or not?"

BB: "Well, my background is as a defensive coach so you can probably figure out the answer to that question. The bottom line is that nobody cares what I think. It doesn't really make a difference."

AG: "I do."

[Laughter]

AG: "You may not care but I do!"

[Laughter]

BB: "Alan, you got me on that one. I'm telling you. You got me on that one."

[Inaudible talking and laughing]

BB: "Again, that's one of those things that I just don't have any control over. You want replay, you don't want replay. Pass interference at the point, 15 yard penalty. You know, I'd say go talk to the geniuses who make the rules. You know, really, because they're the ones who make it. They got all the answers. 'That's why we do it this way, here's why we don't do it that way.' They want to sit in there and talk about all the money the QBs are making and 'we don't want to see those guys on injured reserve,' and you know. I mean, they got all the answers. They could really explain it a lot better than I can. Whatever the rules are, we need to understand them and play within those boundaries. That's all I know."

AG: "I was just asking you to speak to it in a theoretical sense from somebody who's been in the league for 30 years about -"

BB: "Look, no one wants to see a QB get hurt. And a QB's in a position a lot of times where he can't defend himself. You know, he's looking at a receiver, he's stepping up, he's trying to throw the ball, and he really can't protect himself from somebody who's trying to, you know, knock his head off. And that's different than a RB, and for the most part that's different than even a receiver. Although, every once in awhile we see a receiver trying to catch a poorly-thrown ball, usually, and they get laid out by a defensive player. But that's more a result of where the ball's thrown. So, you know, defensively, you're protected on crack-back blocks and things like that. I think the concept of protecting a guy, whether it be a returner who can fair catch, or giving a QB protection in the pocket. And once he get out of the pocket, he gets less protection, although he gets plenty out there too. The slide and all that. I mean, There's a million rules that have been put in there basically to protect him when he can't protect himself when he's trying to look downfield and deliver the ball. And we all know that's an exciting part of the game, the passing game, in the NFL, and that's one of the things that makes this the greatest game and the best part of it, the skill of those players and the guys they throw to. So, I think we're all on board with that. As it goes to each specific rule and point, the one-step rule, the slide, below the knees, above the shoulders, and helmet-to-helmet and all that. There's a point to everything. How much is too much, what's not enough. Hey, I'll tell you right now. When they meet again this year, they'll be another one in this year, too. They'll talk about it, I don't know whether they'll pass it or not, but they'll be some other rule. So, like I said, I think you should talk to the guys who make the rules. There's plenty of people on that committee and they love to talk about the rules and how great they are. Honestly, the Charlie Casserly's of the world that have all the answers to everything. Talk to them. Really, they spend a lot of time studying them, a lot more than I have, and I'm sure they have all the answers."

AG: "But surely the pendulum can't swing any further than it already has-"

BB: "Why not?"

AG: "Because the players don't even know what they can and can't do."

BB: "They don't make the rules either. The pendulum can swing as far as the people who make and pass the rules. And I'm not just saying it's the competition committee. The league votes on all that too. There must be enough of a sentiment within the league to pass those rules. I mean, 32 teams vote on them and I don't know how many they need to vote for them. Whatever the number is, you got to have enough people who want the rule for it to be a rule. It's not like it's - I don't know. Look, I'm not on any of those NFL committees, I don't want to be on any of them. I just want to coach the Patriots and see if we can beat Jacksonville. That's really all I'm interested in.

AG: "Did they ask you to be on a committee?"

BB: "Look, all I want to do is coach the Patriots and try to win a football game here. I'm not trying to conquer the world. I just want to win one game."

PR: "2 final questions."

[Pause]

PR: "Alright, 1 final question."

[Laughter]

[Pause]

BB, jokingly: "Nice job, Alan."

-end-

Pats1. Thanks again one more time for giving us the benefit of your time and effort. It is much appreciated.

Considering that Belichick actually responded to Greenberg's questions in more detail and comment than I'm used to seeing him provide, I have to wonder if he was upset with Alan Greenberg at all ........... It's always seemed to me that when he's upset with someone, he won't give them more than one cryptic sentence or two. Just wondering ......

Pats1. Thanks again one more time for giving us the benefit of your time and effort. It is much appreciated.

Considering that Belichick actually responded to Greenberg's questions in more detail and comment than I'm used to seeing him provide, I have to wonder if he was upset with Alan Greenberg at all ........... It's always seemed to me that when he's upset with someone, he won't give them more than one cryptic sentence or two. Just wondering ......

Just watched it and I'd say, just the opposite.

He admired him for teasing the answer out of him. One professional to another.

The one's that constantly badger him should learn a lesson. A little flattery and humor go a long way.

I don't this is a Herald-Globe thing. I think Reiss asks football questions and writes about football and BB respects that, even enjoys it.

Tomase and Felger are always trying to get a quote they can twist into an article or hammer at their own agendas rather than reporting. I don't think BB respects that. Most people find it entertaining, in a now-what's-TO-up-to kind of guilty-pleasure way, but who can respect those clowns?

Even Seymour refused to answer Felger's follow up question at yesterday's press conference......I'm not a huge fan of Felger, he's a whiney pretty-boy (he actually inferred on cbs4 pregame last week that Dillon threatened him...what a baby). I think it might very well have something to do with the tabloid coverage of Brady and Belichick's off-field activities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes