PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick Has Enough of "Garbage Questions"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: BB goes off on press about Colts

can't do that around here ,Pherein...the soccer moms, Dennis and Callahan will have conniptive fits of outrage at any running up the score...our local media is stupendously anal retentive

:rocker::rocker::rocker:ROFL

By: Steve Balestrieri

“You don’t think you can gauge a team based on how a player blocks Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis? I mean, who else could you gauge it against? Are you kidding me? Covering Reggie Wayne and [Austin] Collie and [Pierre] Garcon – you don’t think you can gauge your coverage based on those players?...

Last edited by a moderator:
This seems like a good thread to pitch my idea of qualifying all NFL beat writers for admission to team press conferences with a written football test, to filter out the dead weight, ditzes, pink hats and other self-promoting ne'er-do-wells.

I see it as a 3-page test, multiple choice to make it even easier, requiring test-takers to show knowledge of the names of all the positions (from scrimmage diagrams), basic knowledge about the role of each position, and knowledge of the game itself.

This would be a football 101 quiz, confirming that every reporter knows fundamentals such as the difference between a slot receiver and a safety. For bonus points, the test taker would have to identify simple routes -- post, dig etc -- from a diagram.

Now, the NFL would never allow this, of course, but I believe it would drastically reduce the number of stupid questions, and might even allow BB to open up a bit during his press conferences.

Last edited:

“You don’t think you can gauge a team based on how a player blocks Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis? I mean, who else could you gauge it against? Are you kidding me? Covering Reggie Wayne and [Austin] Collie and [Pierre] Garcon – you don’t think you can gauge your coverage based on those players?...

This is one of the reason why I love this team, this coach and this QB.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is one of the reason why I love this team, this coach and this QB.
During his press conference Tom Brady was asked a similar question of how the team can effectively judge themselves against lesser opponents. Deadpanned, Brady said, “Because you don’t play football.”

Brady doesn't always take a page from How to Win Friends and Influence People, but for a football fan who's dying to see this team go all the way this year (Who's with me?), this response is classic. :cool:

BTW, who else will be missing this contrast this Sunday?

brady-manning-face.jpg

This is one of those moments that the front line sports media will either chastise BB for being a jerk (circle the wagons around one of their own) or say nothing. In the old days BB would probably have a rolling thunder's worth of bad press (again, as the media rallies around one of their own). This is the upside of the new media (though it is not all good). You will get media, like this post's main story, that don't necessarily care about the presser media country club. They don't necessarily need to rally around that 'colleague'. They will call it the way they see it. I loved the story on Yahoo's sports FP where BB was chastised for being a jerk and basically being a liar (apparently BB should know Indy stinks and accept the Patriots will win easily). Just about every post response to the story was pro BB (well pro the idea that you don't take any team lightly or you will lose, and that the writer shouldn't be writing on sports). Apparently the simplistic view that Indy (and other poor record teams) can beat a better team if that team doesn't play as hard as they do every Sunday is lost on the MSSM types.
Brady was asked just about the same question in his presser...in some form or way. Apparently TB's response was 'because you don't play football'.

As Borges and others proved over the years, the qualifications for being a top sports writer (and given a big voice in the sports scene) are undefined and the job security is almost solid as steel.

anyone know who the reporter was who asked the question?

Well, as far as I'm concerned, she can ask any question she'd like.

Video (skip to 19 minute mark)

"I know you're saying that the record doesn't matter but you obviously can gauge your team's performance better against a team that is more competitive or has a better record --" Leahy started to say before a peeved Belichick interjected.

"I don't agree with that, so you can go ahead on your soliloquy, but I just don't agree with that," Belichick said

Leahy was unsurprisingly pretty busy on Twitter after the awkward moment in which she tweeted what would hav been the rest of her question had she not been interrupted by the coach. Here's what she had to say:

"Rest of my ? before BB cut me off: there's a reason ur not going to be as excited for a win this week as u were coming off field after Jets"

Can we say "blonde"? :D
(thorough apologies to all smart blondes out there)

Last edited:
Her... :)

Kristine Leahy

She embarrassed Belichick, and her fellow reporters.

Maybe someone needs to "Zeke Mowatt" some respect into her. :cool:

Last edited:
She embarrassed Belichick, and her fellow reporters.

Maybe someone needs to "Zeke Mowatt" some respect into her. :cool:

How did she embarrass anyone? BB's answer was needless, and nothing more than an attempt to send a message to his players at the expense of a reporter who'd done nothing wrong. Hell, Julien was on air this week talking about how the game against Detroit was a great way for the Bruins to measure themselves because of how good that Red Wings team is.

When you're a good team in a league, you don't measure yourself against the 0-11 teams. You measure yourself against the 11-0 teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes