Belichick Fined 50k For Grabbing Official

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Belichick Fined 50k For Grabbing Official
By: Derek Havens

The NFL announced Wednesday New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick has been fined $50,000 for incident with referee after Sunday's game....

So Herr Commisar Goodell slaps Belichick with $50,000 for trying to get a referees attention. All he did was reach out and barely touched him. How about reprimanding the referee who was involved for ignoring Belichick. Belichick deserves to be treared with more respect thanwhat the scab referee was giving him. But I thought both Harbaugh brothers and Shanahan were way more abusive to the officials than what Belichick did. Shanahan only got $25,000. No fine for the Harbaugh's. I guess it's OK to be deceptive as long as you don't put a pinky on a ref. This weekend it will be worse as fan bases and coaches are now know that they can intimidate these guys.

Belichick getting twice the fine as any one else is ridiculous. It's not the first time that BB got bigger fines than anyone else for basically the same thing. Goodell has a personal vandetta against BB.

I was gratified to hear even the sports talk personalities around here saying they didn't agree with the fine at all, that what he did wasn't that bad....he was just trying to get an explanation.

The way the mediots were talking it sounded like BB mugged the guy. So since the media hates BB they make it sound really bad and it was the media calling for the fine. And Goodell, instead of thinking that it is human nature and a natural reflex to reach out when you are trying to get someone's attention who is running away from you. I think Goodell succumbed once again to media pressure in assessing fines.

And Harbaugh not getting a fine shows how heavyhanded Goodell is when treating with the Patriots. Bumping a ref should have got the same fine. Belichick should appeall and demand an explanation why he got a big fine and Harbaugh did not.

The NFL and the media would love to have a Harbaugh versus Harbuagh Super Bowl. You watch. SF and Baltimore will get more favorable calls their way than normal. The NFL loves their storylines.

So we can now stop talking about this right? Right???

Patsfans collectively says - "Yes, yes we can."

Thank you guys and gals.

Last edited:
Okay, so it costs $50 big ones for "impermissible contact with a replacement official" which we now understand to be grabbing him by the arm as he runs away from the greatest football coach that ever lived.

If there is impermissible contact there has to be permissible contact. What constitutes "permissible contact with a replacement official?"

Is strapping the replacement official down and performing a lobotomy on him permissible?

We need a little clarification here, Commissioner Goodell.

Meh, BB wasn't suspended and the league whacked non contact offenses pretty hard so this isn't one surprising. Granted BB didn't club a baby seal on the 50 yd line but he deliberately made physical contact regardless of the severity or lack thereof, I can understand the league wanting to have a zero tolerance response. Too bad that level of professionalism hasn't applied to who they have officiating the game.

Last edited:
OK, then. How about assessing a fine to Ed Reed for the obvious blow to the head of Edelman.

do you mean Branch?

In the end zone on the Patriots first possession. Reed put a forearm right in the head. It didn't draw a flag but it should have. Goodell has levied fines before that weren't on penalties,

The league's in a tough position on this one. If they don't penalize Belichick, everyone's going to start grabbing the refs which, no matter how bad they are, isn't the way things should go. As it is, the refs are hesitant and gun-shy, which leads them to both over-call penalties -- to show they're tough and just as tough as the regular refs -- and to under-call penalties, because they're scared and confused, or just aren't in the right position to see what is readily visible to TV viewers.

And if you penalize Belichick, $25k isn't going to make much of an impression, given how much he's paid. We're lucky he wasn't suspended.

The real problem is that replacement refs have a real problem establishing any authority, given how ignorant and inexperienced they are. But having the coaches get more rowdy with the pressure they put on them is going to make things worse, not better.

Only the real refs will solve the problem, and even they probably won't be as "good" as they normally are, since they haven't had any time to get used to the pace of the game. Even though they've done it before, I'm sure there's a significant ramp-up, just as there is with veteran players.

The whole thing is b*** sh**......If it was me, I'd tell the nfl to gfy. However, i'm not known for rational thinking when i'm mad. :D

Last edited:
It's annoying, the replacement refs couldn't control ANY games and Rodger needed to step in and help them for their own incompetence. Which only highlight's the league and Goodell's incompetence.

Waaahhhhhh!!! The coaches are yelling at us, Wahhhhh!!! I don't need to give you an explanation for a botched call, Wahhhhh!!!

what's the fine for deviant toe fetishism displayed world wide on the web with a leering fat slob making all kinds of deviant sexual remarks and double entendres? You know, the guy my kids asked me about...that they saw with the other kids during computer lab at grade school...how do I get recompense for having to explain some loud, obese, deviant little rich boy's disgusting sexual preferences to my innocent kids??? what's the fine for that?? I mean the guy IS a head coach in the NFL...he HAS displayed vulgarity, profanity, buffoonery and outright disgusting sexual deviance for all to see, even little children...what's THAT fine???

Oh wait....it's a private matter...shush...hush hush...leave the poor fat drooling degenerate alone...what do I, Roger Goondell, care about your kids or any of you Patriot fans...YOUR coach touched one of my clowns...er...referees...he gets the full weight of my beady eyed, cyclopean wrath!!

This azzole can't disappear soon enough...what a GD jerk of an SOB little red headed punk.

what's the fine for deviant toe fetishism displayed world wide on the web with a leering fat slob making all kinds of deviant sexual remarks and double entendres? You know, the guy my kids asked me about...that they saw with the other kids during computer lab at grade school...how do I get recompense for having to explain some loud, obese, deviant little rich boy's disgusting sexual preferences to my innocent kids??? what's the fine for that?? I mean the guy IS a head coach in the NFL...he HAS displayed vulgarity, profanity, buffoonery and outright disgusting sexual deviance for all to see, even little children...what's THAT fine???

Oh wait....it's a private matter...shush...hush hush...leave the poor fat drooling degenerate alone...what do I, Roger Goondell, care about your kids or any of you Patriot fans...YOUR coach touched one of my clowns...er...referees...he gets the full weight of my beady eyed, cyclopean wrath!!

This azzole can't disappear soon enough...what a GD jerk of an SOB little red headed punk.
I'd be more worried about the crotch shot of his wife

Just look at it for what it is.."strike settled!!!!...OK...gotta get the heat off me...I FINE Belichick fifty thousand for touching!!!!"...jeezus krist, how much more blatant does it have to get with this jerk....look at it...Goodell's black eye, the strike, settled...HUGE NEWS...and exactly at the same time "Goodell fines Belichick 50 grand!!!!"...what the eff is this anyway? there's dead people in the grave since the middle ages that can see through this ridiculous Torquemada ruse...man ,this POS has to go...NOW.

There is NO WAY his decision to fine BB HAD to come down today...he could have and should have waited, a day, two days, until the dust cleared on the end of the lockout story...but no...the little ginger egomaniac just had to show the world what an onerous, vindictive little small minded goon he really is.

Just look at it for what it is.."strike settled!!!!...OK...gotta get the heat off me...I FINE Belichick fifty thousand for touching!!!!"...jeezus krist, how much more blatant does it have to get with this jerk....look at it...Goodell's black eye, the strike, settled...HUGE NEWS...and exactly at the same time "Goodell fines Belichick 50 grand!!!!"...what the eff is this anyway? there's dead people in the grave since the middle ages that can see through this ridiculous Torquemada ruse...man ,this POS has to go...NOW.

There is NO WAY his decision to fine BB HAD to come down today...he could have and should have waited, a day, two days, until the dust cleared on the end of the lockout story...but no...the little ginger egomaniac just had to show the world what an onerous, vindictive little small minded goon he really is.

BB could've saved 25 grand screaming insults and obscenities.:bricks:

BB could've saved 25 grand screaming insults and obscenities.:bricks:

that's a good point...but I would never trust Goondell to see it that way...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes