PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick fined $500k, Patriots $250k, 2008 1st rounder lost (if playoffs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: NFLN: Belichick fined, Pats fined, draft picks lost

this isnt all that bad.....its more than i expected but still not that bad. here's how it'll go down:
1. pats make the playoffs
2. pats win SB
3. pats still have a 1st rounder...

Last edited:

Welcome to 1984 in the NFL. Where everyone rats out their brother, mother, father, sister, and the NFL's security men are kept busy day and night.

Next week, I start sicking the NFL security team on the Chargers, and just keep doing it throughout the season.

I just lost a lengthy post to a database error (forum getting slammed with all the news) but anyway, I can understand people being upset over the longer term implications of the lost draft pick, but live in the moment. Belichick might have been gone after this season anyway (it's been said a million times and nobody knows his contract status) and this doesn't do much to hurt how they will perform overall this year. Sunday may be a lost cause, but I'm more interested in February. :rocker:

Past penalties are irrelevant (Denver) as we have a new commissioner. I look for the fans and players to explode come Sunday. You have got to believe everyone in the locker room has been listening to players around the league talking about the Patriots cheating and are fired up. San Diego has been trashing the Bears like they trounced them. Do you think this went unnoticed? I'll bet we see some intensity come Sunday. Would you want to face a pissed off BB?

this isnt all that bad.....its more than i expected but still not that bad. here's how it'll go down:
1. pats make the playoffs
2. pats win SB
3. pats trade the lesser of their 2007 first round picks for a 1st round pick in 2008.

The 2007 draft is already past. The next draft is the 2008.

commish is a joke to release the info this way. ante up and make a statement instead of hiding behind adam schefter. how do you respect a guy that can't release the info through a live statement.
He is a gutless coward not to come out live and give this statement,......and the way he was cowered into having to give something this severe as punishment ......for a crime that EVERYONE in the NFL is committing.....is absolutely shameful and pathetic.......I can only hope that others get ratted out now for every infraction that occurs,.....and goddell better be ##$@ consistent.....don't bend over for Polian if you are going to give it to the Pats like this boy!

Oh well....let's move on.....fu#$ the media....I can only hope each and every one of them gets to personally go through this as a fan or player someday.....please gawd make it happen!! Start with that little whining Beeyatch LT....I hope he gets his a## kicked this weekend!!!

Goodell is a freaking *****. Oh, yup tough guy. You told 'em. I hope they fight this damn thing. Gonna be a bit uncomfortable when he has to stand up there and give BB the Lombardi...

I think we got Off Very Very Easy if you compare to what that idiot from the NFL Network wanted. He said we should have lost draft picks for the next two or three years along with multiple game suspension.

Last edited:
In my opinion the punishment would not be half of what it is if Espn and other sports knee jerk jounalists had not coverd this story like it was the end of the world, denvers salary cap infractions were coverd like it was barly a story.
Pretty lame by the commish to let it leak out like this, He should not have told anyone until he was ready to anounce it himself.

I wonder if mangini is proud of himself for sandbagging the guy who put him in possition to become a headcoach in the first place. Mangini better be clean as a whistle.

At least it's over and the Pats can get back dismanteling the rest of the league.

OK, let's move on. Nothing more to see here. Let's talk about football.

He maybe worth a first, but it's still too much. They are trying to hamper the pats for years, not just a few games.

This is my feeling on this whole matter......They (the other owners and coaches especially) are trying to find any way they can to handcuff the Pats to keep them/stop them from winning and being the TOP NFL team or right at the top........I think that this ruling will come back to haunt the rest of the owners and coaches in this league......this is a travesty of justice!

GO PATS!!!

I hope Belichick rips the trophy out of Goodell's hands on the podium after we win the super bowl and tells him to eat it.

This is my feeling on this whole matter......They (the other owners and coaches especially) are trying to find any way they can to handcuff the Pats to keep them/stop them from winning and being the TOP NFL team or right at the top........I think that this ruling will come back to haunt the rest of the owners and coaches in this league......this is a travesty of justice!

GO PATS!!!

It is a travesty...

GO PATS, GO PATS!!!!:rocker:

Why do I suspect this is all a show? A FIRST round pick? That seems excessive. I suspect there will be an "appeal" (there must be some provision for these kinds of rulings to be appealed) that Goodell not only expects, but has already negotiated the outcome with Kraft in which the final ruling will be a 2nd round or 3rd round pick at most. This makes Goodell appear tough enough with the initial ruling and can blame the arbitrator for the lesser punishment.

If not, I think the 1st round pick is overkill. We're not talking about the legality of stealing signals, but rather the method. The Pats are losing a 1st round pick over a method. One whose usage provides a debatable advantage at best over "approved" methods of stealing signals.

Regards,
Chris

Part of me can't help thinking that if we drafted Poszlusny or someone like that with the 1st Rd pick we traded, they would have never taken a first from us. They only did it because we had two 1sts.

Yea I thought of this too. Judge Dredd thought to himself "Well, they have the 9ers first rounder which could be in the teens or early 20's, and their first will likely be almost like an early second so..."

In my opinion the punishment would not be half of what it is if Espn and other sports knee jerk jounalists had not coverd this story like it was the end of the world, denvers salary cap infractions were coverd like it was barly a story.
Pretty lame by the commish to let it leak out like this, He should not have told anyone until he was ready to anounce it himself.

I wonder if mangini is proud of himself for sandbagging the guy who put him in possition to become a headcoach in the first place. Mangini better be clean as a whistle.

At least it's over and the Pats can get back dismanteling the rest of the league.

Mangini's legacy will be blowing the whistle on Belichick...
I'd be very surpised in Mangini is a head coach in 2009, or even has a career in the NFL.

We all know what Belichick's legacy will be.

I think Roger Goodell is a freaking coward - I will withhold stronger statements until I read his press release (obviously he is too much of a chicken to speak to the fans).

The punishment is totally excessive for the crime.

Goodell must issue a statement or hold a press conference that specifically explains that ALL teams steal signals and the Patriot "crime" was to use a video camera (as opposed to binoculars, stolen playbooks, still photographers, lip readers, etc etc.). He must explain that in no way did this incident affect the outcome of Sundays game.

This is bullspit....

OK Patriot haters, I hope you are all happy now...enjoy your moment, because this team is built to win.

What will you say when we win it all this year and a few more to go with it over the next 5 years or so? We will be watched closer than any team in the history of sports, so, what will you excuse be moving forward.

I am a Patriot fan, I am glad you all hate us now - eat S--T and die, NFL - Patriots rule!!!

Could have been worse considering the rumors out there, a first round pick is HUGE to lose but at least we have SF first rounder

I can only hope BB has tape of all the other teams that were "cheating" and gives those Mr. Goodell

OK, let's move on. Nothing more to see here. Let's talk about football.

IMHO Mr. Kraft should take $500K and hire a bunch more videomen to go to various games and see if they can get pictures of other teams videotaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes