PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick expounds on Patriots' loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Mike Reiss' blog - Belichick expounds on Patriots' loss - ESPN Boston

Why the Patriots communicated with boards from the sideline. Belichick explained why receivers coach Chad O'Shea and practice squad quarterback Isaiah Stanback were holding up grease boards from the sideline and noted that it was easier for running backs and receivers to look over to the sideline in the no-huddle attack instead of waiting to hear the call from quarterback Tom Brady. The number of the play was written on the grease board and then held up, so the players could read the number and then look at their wristbands. Belichick said he couldn't remember ever doing that before.
interesting...wonder if they over thought this game...

they showed the boards a few times during the game.

Hindsight is 20-20, but I really wish the Pats would have lined up and played our offense against whatever they threw at us.
Now I wonder if "The Brady Show" has jumped the shark!

I really like the idea of the no huddle attack but it needs to be smoother. I think that will come over time.

I really like the idea of the no huddle attack but it needs to be smoother. I think that will come over time.

Isn't that what Colts have been doing all these years under Manning?

For the most part yes. Its much smoother than the way the Pats ran it yesterday but overtime if they stick with it, it could become a big advantage. I also beleive that Peyton is given a set of 2 or 3 plays that he can run and he choses one based off of the defense he sees. I think the Pats were giving Brady two plays but everything seemed to take longer.

its hard to switch to it when in season. i think it was only for this game

The boards worked. Even though the Jets kept coming, the Pats still held them in check for the first half. Primarily, it served two purposes:

1.) Get the plays in quickly so as to keep the Jets' defense on the field and prevent substitutions.

2.) Counter the crowd noise. Even the booth announcers were stunned by how loud it was. With the boards, the players could quickly see what was up, and all they had to worry about was checking the play on their wristband, and getting the snapcount right.

I liked the idea very much, and thought it was a novel solution. It will especially work well if they swap out wristbands at halftime with different numbers for the same plays. That would prevent the opponent from figuring out what was coming, or at least sew some confusion there.. :)

I thought it was because headset communication was out.

I thought it was a good idea with two new receivers in mix.

I had heard about the wristbands..receivers talking about that..Moss...I believe in the post game presser...but I wonder if it didn't also cause a bit of confusion? Did it really work well?? I don't know..if it did, there's nothing on the field that showed it...so I'll leave it to the coaches to evaluate its usefulness.
I had wondered about it...glad that there was a deeper explanation. First time BB used it?? What does that say?

That's why you saw the players exchanging wristbands. That way, a "13 - 8" would be an off-tackle run one time, and something else another time (not that the Patriots actually run the ball).

It's a good way of doing it, I think.

That's why you saw the players exchanging wristbands. That way, a "13 - 8" would be an off-tackle run one time, and something else another time (not that the Patriots actually run the ball).

It is. It was obvious it was their first time trying it though.

I had some high school coaching experience and what we would do is have a decoy signal giver. So that one of the signal givers is the right one, and the other one is not. So it could also be that 13-8 means that whoever holds the right number is the correct play.

I actually made the wristbands and the they were simply incrementally numbered 1-100 for instance. I never made a wristband with x-x naming convention.

I also think it takes time to get this right.
It works easy enough in practice but in the game it's quite different.
The crowd noise, you have to look at the right coach (I'm sure they changed the correct signaler), look at your wristband, read the play, process the play, know where to line up, and execute.

Not to mention that it looked liked Brady was then changing the plays after they were signaled in based on the D he was looking at. It's a great concept but will take more time to nail down to a science.

I agree that Belichick made the management of the offense look like a high school team in need of lots more practice.

I had some high school coaching experience and what we would do is have a decoy signal giver. So that one of the signal givers is the right one, and the other one is not. So it could also be that 13-8 means that whoever holds the right number is the correct play.

I actually made the wristbands and the they were simply incrementally numbered 1-100 for instance. I never made a wristband with x-x naming convention.

I also think it takes time to get this right.
It works easy enough in practice but in the game it's quite different.
The crowd noise, you have to look at the right coach (I'm sure they changed the correct signaler), look at your wristband, read the play, process the play, know where to line up, and execute.

Not to mention that it looked liked Brady was then changing the plays after they were signaled in based on the D he was looking at. It's a great concept but will take more time to nail down to a science.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back