PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick explains 'D' switch on Sirius

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I were a local reporter who covers this team, I will be pissed with that interview. Look at how much depth he covers with his answers. It is like he really respects these guys.

If I were a local reporter who covers this team, I will be pissed with that interview. Look at how much depth he covers with his answers. It is like he really respects these guys.

local guys are all gossip and drama .. ask the right way, and he will throw you a bone ..

BB worked with Kirwan and He doesn't ask the dumb questions that the regular media guys do. His interviews with Kirwan are always very informative.

Moving the chains is the best show on Sirius NFL IMO.

Reiss is the best. I won't quote him so give the article a click. Good BB info on lots of topics. No question that SIRIUS NFL radio rocks. They don't ask the inane stupid leading questions that the locals ask.

The local guys aren't smart enough to ask the right questions. There is no more entertaining speaker than BB when it comes to talking football.....in general. Talk about its history. Talk about schemes and general strategy, and he is great. What he WON'T do is give anything away that might be viewed as a potential advantage to his opponents, and he won't throw anyone under the bus, either on his team or his opponents.

In today's media, all they WANT to do is find someone to throw "under the bus", so they get pissed when BB gives them nothing....again. Kirwin knows him enough to ask the right questions.

Last edited:
At least to some extent it validates what some of us "Homers" have been speculating about to begin the season.

He has really been installing a really simple system and as the season progresses he will be making this defense more and more complex.

I guess you have that luxury when your offense is as good as ours is at the moment.

At least to some extent it validates what some of us "Homers" have been speculating about to begin the season.

He has really been installing a really simple system and as the season progresses he will be making this defense more and more complex.

I guess you have that luxury when your offense is as good as ours is at the moment.

I guess this is what happens when there are no offseason activies (OTAs, Passing Camp, Mini Camp, Offseason workouts etc.) It will be interesting to see what this defense looks like in weeks 10 to 16.

What BB said make so much sense. He's such a good teacher. I just wish those young 'uns would start to execute better.

You should be one of the smart guys that wants the pressure type defense that goes into Oakland and gives up 34 points.

Last edited:
You should be one of the smart guys that wants the pressure type defense that goes into Oakland and gives up 34 points.
I would have thought one of the glaring improvements in the defense has been the switch from press coverage to zone against the Raiders and Jets. It seems our DB's are more comfortable with that.

Last edited:
I guess this is what happens when there are no offseason activies (OTAs, Passing Camp, Mini Camp, Offseason workouts etc.) It will be interesting to see what this defense looks like in weeks 10 to 16.

Agreed. Given that, and historical patterns, I think there is good reason to believe the Defense will improve as the season goes on. Unfortunately it isn't a certainty.........

local guys are all gossip and drama .. ask the right way, and he will throw you a bone ..

The question was why switch from 3-4 to 4-3 and he gave a detailed answer.

The classic BB press conference answer would have been, "we felt it would give our team the best chance to win".

He choose to answer the question this time but typically he chooses not to.

Maybe he is getting paid to do the radio interviews unlike the PC, so he gives the folks who are willing to fork over cash answers but not the regulars.

Last edited:

The classic BB press conference answer would have been, "we felt it would give our team the best chance to win".

Maybe he is getting paid to do the radio interviews unlike the PC, so he gives the folks who are willing to fork over cash answers but not the regulars.

Or maybe he respects these guys.

Fun to finally hear some definitive talk from the coach on a subject we've all been speculating about all Fall.

Gives me some hope that things will start improving with the young D.

This is the way I see it as well. Belichik has always said he makes sure they have the basics down before installing more complicated schemes that build off those basics. This defense is in its infancy and he will build and build and build on it as the weeks go by. It will be year or so before he can use the whole defensive playbook with them. I think they will have a good defense by the end of the season and it will play strong for them in the playoffs, which was the point to begin with.

he had said earlier, when asked about the 4-3, that they were still a multiple dront team, but that they wanted to get a lot of even front on tape in the preseason, etc, so they could correct iit, as they already had a lot of 3-4 experience, and the odd front would be worked in later.

Um, no. Listen to BB's interviews with these guys. In fact, listen to most coaches and players when they are on with these two. It is all football. Kirwan is a football-lifer and he is molding Tim Ryan into one. He is exactly the kind of guy BB likes to talk football with. He's not someone with an agenda, someone who could take what he says and twist it to fit a story. He's going to be analytical about it. And no, he's not a BB rump swab either. He can be critical of anyone, and has been critical of every team/coach at some point.

Um, no. Listen to BB's interviews with these guys. In fact, listen to most coaches and players when they are on with these two. It is all football. Kirwan is a football-lifer and he is molding Tim Ryan into one. He is exactly the kind of guy BB likes to talk football with. He's not someone with an agenda, someone who could take what he says and twist it to fit a story. He's going to be analytical about it. And no, he's not a BB rump swab either. He can be critical of anyone, and has been critical of every team/coach at some point.

x10

the thing about bb is that everybody calls him a genius, but when I hear him interviewed on 'eei, or a similar venue, he comes across as a regular guy with a lot of common sense.

tim and pat strike me as much the same -- basically down to earth guys with common sense, but when compared to their peers come of as 'genius'.
I'd say they're the best football you can find on radio, that I've heard.

Very informative answer. And it makes sense. With the shortened offseason the 4-3 was easier to install and teach. This defense has yet to be taught everything so I look to see improvement as they learn more and the complexity level increases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots