PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick desired OLB measurables and the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been watching a lot of Corey Wooton lately. He started to look very healthy in the last 4 games of the season. Considering his measurables and skill sets, I wouldn't be surprised if he's one of the highest rated DE/OLBs on the Pats draft board.

I view him more as 3-4 DE. Has the frame to add signficiant bulk. He doesn't appear to have the initial quickness or speed to play OLB and his 40 time of 4.92 confirms that for me.

Been watching a lot of Corey Wooton lately. He started to look very healthy in the last 4 games of the season. Considering his measurables and skill sets, I wouldn't be surprised if he's one of the highest rated DE/OLBs on the Pats draft board.

I just don't see it. I don't see the agility or speed to play OLB. I truly see him as a 4-3 DE. I think too many people are looking for the next Willie. He has been the only hybrid guy that succeeded in this defense, but he was also a top 10 pick. I just can't see any of the 275lb 4-3 DEs projecting into the 3-4 as OLBs. JPP, Dunlap, Griffen, Wooten, Lane, Hardy - none of them are OLBs.
The only larger kid that I see as a good fit as a DE into OLB is D. Teo Nesheim, but he is 6'4 and 260 and also has very quick shuttle and cone times.

I am another that thinks if they don't get an OLB with the 22 pick, Misi would be a real good option in the 2nd. He has played DE, and OLB, they even played him inside and he would stack up OGs. He also has experience dropping into pass coverage and playing in space.

Relentless, high-motor, high character, team captain and has done all the things that they look for in an OLB in this system.

It's already been confirmed some NFL teams are looking at him as an OLB. Plus 40 times are overrated, what was Vrable's 40 time?

It matters to the Patriots. Belichick has said so himself, and they have never drafted an OLB with a 40 of less than 4.76. But regardless, Wootton is not a 3-4 OLB. He looks too stiff and lacks the lateral agility and straight-line speed to play OLB.

It's already been confirmed some NFL teams are looking at him as an OLB. Plus 40 times are overrated, what was Vrable's 40 time?

It says "some teams are looking at him as a rush LB". The Patriots don't break out their LBs into "rush" LBs and coverage LBs. Besides, just because someone worked him out there doesn't mean he's a fit. He has dropped into coverage at times for Northwestern, but there's just no way he's a linebacker.

Clay Matthews had awesome measurables and a very weak on-field resume. :confused2:

You're right. That sucks. For the one guy we should have stuck to our "measurables" criteria, we pooched it.

I just don't see it. I don't see the agility or speed to play OLB. I truly see him as a 4-3 DE.

I agree, for the reasons stated plus I also don't see the strength required of a 3-4 DE. This guy is strictly 4-3 DE, and should not be a consideration whatsoever for us.

I view him more as 3-4 DE. Has the frame to add signficiant bulk. He doesn't appear to have the initial quickness or speed to play OLB and his 40 time of 4.92 confirms that for me.

I don't think he has regained the explosiveness he had before the injury. The timing of the injury may have also limited him. Sean Lee for instance injured his knee then skipped the following season and he showed great explosiveness. Corey came back in a similar time frame to Carson Palmer. A year from now I bet he could run closer to 4.75. Not that it matters because he still has elite quickness.

I don't think he has regained the explosiveness he had before the injury. The timing of the injury may have also limited him. Sean Lee for instance injured his knee then skipped the following season and he showed great explosiveness. Corey came back in a similar time frame to Carson Palmer. A year from now I bet he could run closer to 4.75. Not that it matters because he still has elite quickness.
Completely agree. I think anyone who thinks he can't play OLB just hasn't ever seen his 08 tape. I see no reason that he can't get back to that level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back