PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick desired OLB measurables and the draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
In addition, if you want to argue that some of the Patriots current edge players don't fit the prototype, I would submit the following:

Other OLBs on the Patriots 2009 Roster and how the relate to the prototype

Adalius Thomas: At the 2000 combine, Thomas measured in at 6'3 270 lbs and ran a 4.56 40, very close to the Belichick standard. He also has very long arms and had proven he could play in the NFL with the Ravens before the Patriots acquired him in 2007. Also was valued in part because of his ILB/OLB versatility.

Tully-Banta Cain: While he doesn’t fit the prototype, he was drafted late (7th round) and has been best used situationally as a pass rusher. When he has been asked to be a base 3-4 OLB on run downs, he struggles setting the edge. See the 2006 AFC divisional game v. San Diego (in which he was benched the following week v. Indianapolis) and his unremarkable stint with San Francisco.

Derrick Burgess: At the 2001 combine, Burgess measured in at 6’3 264 lbs and ran 4.92 40. While he also doesn’t fit the prototype, he was used as little as possible on run downs as an OLB in the base 3-4 in 2009. Pierre Woods and Adalius Thomas got most of the snaps in the 3-4 on 1st and 2nd down.

Rob Ninkovich: Measured in at 6'3 260 lbs. at the combine and ran a 4.71 at his Pro Day in 2006. He is close to the prototype and was also a waiver wire acquisition, not a high draft pick.

Since 2000, the Patriots adherence to the 6-4, 4.6 formula has resulted in them being very picky in regards to OLBs in the draft (their only high pick was Crable in ’08). The only time they have gone outside this criterion is in later rounds (and even then it has been a slight deviation). Thus, if fans are waiting for the Patriots to select an impact pass-rusher high in this draft, it will more than likely be a player who is 6’4 plus, runs in the 4.6s or faster, and the Patriots feel can succeed at the NFL level.

Some may point to some of the Patriots recent veteran acquisitions at OLB (Thomas, Burgess, Ninkovich, etc.) and conclude that the Patriots adherence to the 6’4 4.6 40 standard isn’t as rigid as advocated here. However, as explained above, these players are relative close to this prototype and/or were used situationally as pass rushing DEs in the Patriots four-man fronts and sub-packages. Given his past statements about positional value and the draft, I highly doubt Bill Belichick would spend a high draft pick on a defender he doesn’t deem to be a three-down player.

Given their current roster situation, the Patriots need an OLB who can both rush the passer and has the size, length and strength to effectively set the edge and stay on the field all three downs. The Patriots believe that a three-down player at OLB in their 3-4 defense is someone who in addition to being a good football player, is 6’4 and runs a 40 in the 4.6s.

The whole 3 down thing may be a bit odd when you consider that the Patriots have spent both a 1st and 2nd rounder on Wilfork and Brace.

In addition, if you want to argue that some of the Patriots current edge players don't fit the prototype, I would submit the following:

Adalius Thomas: At the 2000 combine, Thomas measured in at 6'3 270 lbs and ran a 4.56 40, very close to the Belichick standard. He also has very long arms and had proven he could play in the NFL with the Ravens before the Patriots acquired him in 2007. Also was valued in part because of his ILB/OLB versatility.

Tully-Banta Cain: While he doesn’t fit the prototype, he was drafted late (7th round) and has been best used situationally as a pass rusher. When he has been asked to be a base 3-4 OLB on run downs, he struggles setting the edge. See the 2006 AFC divisional game v. San Diego (in which he was benched the following week v. Indianapolis) and his unremarkable stint with San Francisco.

Derrick Burgess: At the 2001 combine, Burgess measured in at 6’3 264 lbs and ran 4.92 40. While he also doesn’t fit the prototype, he was used as little as possible on run downs as an OLB in the base 3-4 in 2009. Pierre Woods and Adalius Thomas got most of the snaps in the 3-4 on 1st and 2nd down.

Rob Ninkovich: Measured in at 6'3 260 lbs. at the combine and ran a 4.71 at his Pro Day in 2006. He is close to the prototype and was also a waiver wire acquisition, not a high draft pick.

Since 2000, the Patriots adherence to the 6-4, 4.6 formula has resulted in them being very picky in regards to OLBs in the draft (their only high pick was Crable in ’08). The only time they have gone outside this criterion is in later rounds (and even then it has been a slight deviation). Thus, if fans are waiting for the Patriots to select an impact pass-rusher high in this draft, it will more than likely be a player who is 6’4 plus, runs in the 4.6s or faster, and the Patriots feel can succeed at the NFL level.

Some may point to some of the Patriots recent veteran acquisitions at OLB (Thomas, Burgess, Ninkovich, etc.) and conclude that the Patriots adherence to the 6’4 4.6 40 standard isn’t as rigid as advocated here. However, as explained above, these players are relative close to this prototype and/or were used situationally as pass rushing DEs in the Patriots four-man fronts and sub-packages. Given his past statements about positional value and the draft, I highly doubt Bill Belichick would spend a high draft pick on a defender he doesn’t deem to be a three-down player.

Given their current roster situation, the Patriots need an OLB who can both rush the passer and has the size, length and strength to effectively set the edge and stay on the field all three downs. The Patriots believe that a three-down player at OLB in their 3-4 defense is someone who in addition to being a good football player, is 6’4 and runs a 40 in the 4.6s.
Great post. I think it's unlikely the Pats pick a small OLB high in the draft. Then again it's Belichick and the Patriots, so anything is possible.

Last edited:
I'm actually doing research on this topic (along with other Patriot protoypes) and your list is relatively spot on. One player you are missing is Koa Misi, who at 6 foot 3 251 may be at the threshold where the Pats jump on him. The Pats have only drafted an OLB who is less than 6 foot 4 twice in the past 10 years (Tully Banta-Cain and Jeremy Mincey) and both, like Misi, had really stellar 3 cone and shuttle times. I think the inch difference would be made up by his speed, athleticism and weight.

Misi, Teo-Nesheim and Sapp look like the most likely Pats, unless they decide to go for an elephant type in Dunlap or Pierre-Paul.

According to NFL.com Thomas, Burgess and Ninkovich are all 6'2, the same height as TBC. We all know and agree that their ideal for an OLB is 6'4 over 250 lb and can run a 4.6 40 and happens to be a good football player but how many of those players exist? How many in this draft? I think you have to start off with a good football player first, measureables second. Pierre Woods was the closest LB to their ideal, TBC was not but was a more impactful player.

This is what I'm most afraid of. Does this mean Ricky Sapp or bust. Because he has the measurables does that mean he can set the edge, Can he rush the passer?

The whole 3 down thing may be a bit odd when you consider that the Patriots have spent both a 1st and 2nd rounder on Wilfork and Brace.

While Wilfork isn't a first-round level 3rd down interior pass rusher, he certainly isn't a liability there either. This remains to be seen with Brace, who last year played like a liability no matter the situation. I would argue that shorter and/or weaker LBs are a liability as 3-4 OLBs on run downs, i.e. TBC.

I don't see why height plays such a big role in deciding whether someone can play olb in a 3-4. I think having the right bulk and weight is important. You don't want to get pushed around by an offensive tackle or pulling guard. I don't see why it matters whether you are 6-1, or 6-2, or 6-4. If you have the right bulk and play with good leverage you should be able to rush the passer and hold up against the run. Dwight Freeney is 6-1 and he is one of the best pass rushers. I would think that you could find more 6-1 or 6-2 who have bulk and are fast and agile. Does having long arms help? Does this help in setting the edge? How important is this attribute?

The following exchange is from BB's 2009 post-draft press conference

Q: Did you agree with [NFL Network Analyst Mike] Mayock that there was a lot of outside inebacker depth?

“I mean, generally speaking, I think that there were more shorter players, maybe a little less speed than what we've seen, maybe a little more power with good production. There weren't a lot of 4.6, 4.65 [40 time] guys. There weren't a lot of 6-[foot]-4, 6-[foot]-5 guys. I'd say it was a much smaller pool of those types of players.”

All Things Bill Belichick: 26-Apr-2009 Press Conference Transcript

Seems pretty clear to me this is their standard and it was as recent as last offseason.

This is huge leap from what is clearly a simple observation. Kinda like the way many mediots concluded that BB will draft Tebow because he made positive observations about him.

Caveat: In seasons in which the Pats run 40 fronts on 45% or more of their defensive snaps, different standards may apply.

Caveat: In seasons in which the Pats run 40 fronts on 45% or more of their defensive snaps, different standards may apply.

A good point, and certainly a trend that bears watching in regards to front seven players in the draft going forward. A few days ago, Mike Reiss noted that a DL prospect told him that all of the "on the board" segments of his private workout with the Patriots were two-gap related. To me, this says that the Patriots "base" defense is still the 3-4, in which 6'4 4.6 OLBs are mostly preferred. Given the choice, particulary in the first two or three rounds of the Draftt, BB would prefer to select a player who could be on the field in the base 3-4 and in the 40 front packages (probably as a DE). To me and likely the Patriots as well, many of the players who come closing to fitting the prototype (Pierre-Paul, Kindle, Griffen, Sapp, etc.) can more aptly fill both roles than those who don't (Graham, Hughes, Misi, etc.), providing more versatility in the eyes of BB and thus a higher draft grade.

Looking at your stats further BB likes players who are taller to be skinner and if they are shorter then they should be heavier. I don't think 40 time factors into the equation much.

6-4 245-255 range
6-3 255-265 range
6-2 265-275 range

Based on that, we have matches on the top 5 DEs coming out of this years draft. Kindle would not be a match. Last year most of these types of players (maybin, ayers, english) were taken before the Pats selected besides Connor Barwin. It would be a good question to BB on why he passed on Barwin.

This is huge leap from what is clearly a simple observation. Kinda like the way many mediots concluded that BB will draft Tebow because he made positive observations about him.

That's a stretch. Look at their draft history. Almost all come close to fitting the prototype and outside of Crable (who fits it perfectly)they are all late-round picks.

Casey Tisdale (Rd7, 2000), New Mexico, 6’4 255 lbs. 40: 4.71:
Tully Banta-Cain (Rd7, 2003), California, 6’2 264 lbs. 40: 4.62:
Jeremy Mincey (Rd5, 2006), Florida, 6’4 259 lbs. 40: 4.76:
Justin Rogers (Rd6, 2007), Southern Methodist, 6’4 252 lbs. 40: 4.76:
Shawn Crable (Rd3, 2008), Michigan, 6’5 245 lbs. 40: 4.61

Look at McGinest, Vrabel, and Colvin (6'3). Even go back BB's days as the Giants DC with LT and Carl Bankks.

As for your Tebow comparison, I believe you're making the same mistake as the so-called "mediots" are. Much like the mediots, you are not doing your research. The mediots are ignoring BB's history for smokescreens and of not talking about any player they have interest in and for confidentiality. They are employing wishful thinking, hoping to place the draft's biggest star with the game's most revered and controversial (to them) coach. You and many on this board are ignoring BB's own words, schematic needs, and player personnel history in hopes that they they pick an undersized/slower OLB you like and/or that they are less selective in finding the DE/OLB pass rusher they desperately need.

Last edited:
I don't see why height plays such a big role in deciding whether someone can play olb in a 3-4. I think having the right bulk and weight is important. You don't want to get pushed around by an offensive tackle or pulling guard. I don't see why it matters whether you are 6-1, or 6-2, or 6-4. If you have the right bulk and play with good leverage you should be able to rush the passer and hold up against the run. Dwight Freeney is 6-1 and he is one of the best pass rushers. I would think that you could find more 6-1 or 6-2 who have bulk and are fast and agile. Does having long arms help? Does this help in setting the edge? How important is this attribute?

Bruschi talked about this last Saturday at the draft event. He talked about how in the BB/Parcells 3-4, OLBs are required to be able to hold up against OL and TEs while extending their arms, so they can then read action, shed the blocker, and make a play on the ballcarrier. Bruschi talked about he was first tried as an OLB for the first few days of his rookie year and was unsuccesful because he lacked the height/length to do so.

Brit Pat- Got to work on your reading comprehension buddy. I did not say Lamarr Woodley was slow, I said he was short and slow in comparison to the desired measurables. As for your next point that I must not watch much football...are you serious?

The 40 was what Belichick used in his quote after last years draft in his response to questions about why the Patriots did not acquire an OLB in the draft. I used that as the basis for my post to bring up discussion on A. What the Patriots are looking for in measurables in an OLB and B. Whether these measurables may be too restricting.

There are simply not very many players who fit Belichick's stated desire for 6'4 or 6'5 guys who run in the 4.6's. Compounding the problem is the guys that do fit these measurables are generally freak athletes. As we've seen over the years, the freak athlete types are much more likely to have questions about their motor or desire and/or have off the field concerns than guys who may not fit the prototype. At OLB guys like Shawne Merriman and Lawrence Taylor, Jevon Kearse had his issues, what WR doesn't have issues? It makes for a tricky evaluation and a difficult position to fill. That's before getting in to the dilemma of drafting a guy who was probably a rush end in college to play on his feet in the pros and the projection that must go in to the pick.

That's a stretch. Look at their draft history. Almost all come close to fitting the prototype and outside of Crable (who fits it perfectly)they are all late-round picks.

Casey Tisdale (Rd7, 2000), New Mexico, 6’4 255 lbs. 40: 4.71:
Tully Banta-Cain (Rd7, 2003), California, 6’2 264 lbs. 40: 4.62:
Jeremy Mincey (Rd5, 2006), Florida, 6’4 259 lbs. 40: 4.76:
Justin Rogers (Rd6, 2007), Southern Methodist, 6’4 252 lbs. 40: 4.76:
Shawn Crable (Rd3, 2008), Michigan, 6’5 245 lbs. 40: 4.61

Look at McGinest, Vrabel, and Colvin (6'3). Even go back BB's days as the Giants DC with LT and Carl Bankks.

As for your Tebow comparison, I believe you're making the same mistake as the so-called "mediots" are. Much like the mediots, you are not doing your research. The mediots are ignoring BB's history for smokescreens and of not talking about any player they have interest in and for confidentiality. They are employing wishful thinking, hoping to place the draft's biggest star with the game's most revered and controversial (to them) coach. You and many on this board are ignoring BB's own words, schematic needs, and player personnel history in hopes that they they pick an undersized/slower OLB you like and/or that they are less selective in finding the DE/OLB pass rusher they desperately need.

And that is also a huge leap.

If you follow my comments, you should note that I'm very clear that I'm speculating - proposing "what if" scenarios, couched in "maybe this and maybe not" terms. Because I do not believe that anything about this is written in stone. So, if you'd be so kind, please refrain from making assumptions about MY thinking.

Here's the problem I have: on the rare occasions when such an incredible 6'4" 4.60 physical specimen does pop up, complete with major-conference experience and solid on-field productivity, we all wait here with bated breath...and the Patriots pass every time. Think Manny Lawson, Mark Anderson, Quentin Groves, Connor Barwin.

The fact is that last year alone, BB passed on OLB candidates of every description. And the examples of players he bites on are too scarce to generalize from. That leaves us all grasping at straws, desperately trying to find a logical pattern.

So personally, I have absolutely no clue which candidates "fit BB's criteria" in this draft. While you can say "BB has never spent a significant draft pick on an OLB who didn't hit the 6'4" 4.60 mark," it's equally true that he never spent a significant draft pick on an OLB who wasn't born in Massillon, Ohio.

:stars2:

Here's the problem I have: on the rare occasions when such an incredible 6'4" 4.60 physical specimen does pop up, complete with major-conference experience and solid on-field productivity, we all wait here with bated breath...and the Patriots pass every time. Think Manny Lawson, Mark Anderson, Quentin Groves, Connor Barwin.

The fact is that last year alone, BB passed on OLB candidates of every description. And the examples of players he bites on are too scarce to generalize from. That leaves us all grasping at straws, desperately trying to find a logical pattern.

So personally, I have absolutely no clue which candidates "fit BB's criteria" in this draft. While you can say "BB has never spent a significant draft pick on an OLB who didn't hit the 6'4" 4.60 mark," it's equally true that he never spent a significant draft pick on an OLB who wasn't born in Massillon, Ohio.

:stars2:

Actually, you could probably do a whole lot worse than making a Massilon connection your deal-breaker requirement.

Because he isn't that good?

Oh man that's sacrilegious on this board!!!

Barwin was overhyped excessively on this board b/c he was compared to Vrabel by some dratniks for his blue collar style of play, work ethic, and intangibles. I watched him play a decent number of times and was never really that impressed with him. I'm glad BB didn't draft him becasue I just didn't think he'd become a great pro. Time will only tell though.

He might've been worth taking a chance on in the 3rd, but he was being touted as a 1st rounder on this board. Talk about ultra-binky status :p

So what have I learned from this thread. I'd like to summarize the qualities that I believe matter most for Belicheck's OLB in a 3-4 in order of importance.

1) Height must be at least 6-4. Without the additional height tall OT and TE's will get into the players body and drive them off the edge. Long arm length is important to keep offensive lineman at bay. Part of setting the edge is stringing the play along and buying time for other players to swarm to the ball.

2) Functional strength. A 6-5 string bean like Shawn Crable is going to get pushed around and going to get hurt. He lacks the bulk in his legs. Lower body strength is important in providing leverage while rushing the passer. Belicheck would rather have a pass rusher who can overpower a defender and push him into the backfield than run around them.

3) Speed (at least a 4.7) If you are slow as a snail it, doesn't matter how tall or strong you are. If you are on the slower side, you can be a good run stopper and a poor pass rusher. Speed can also refer to a players motor. If they like to run they are going to have a good motor.

4) Good hip turn. Having good hip turn allows a defender to back pedal and drop into coverage. If you have good size, speed and hip turn you can specialize on playing against the pass. You won't be a three down linebacker, but you will probably be pretty good in the nickel. These types of linebackers are usually pretty good at blitzing. If there is a hole in the defense, they can get to the passer fast. When blocked they will usually lose the one-on-one battle.

I looked at some of the tape of the players available in this draft. Both Sergio Kindle and Ricky Sapp are too small to play the position. They don't look like they have the body types to bulk up. They look more like Roosevelt Colvin than Mike Vrabel. Jason Pierre Paul's tape was horrendous. He looked like a guy wearing rolling skates. He was quick and athletic, but he had no football instincts what so ever. Griffen seemed to have the right bulk, strength and instincts, but I questioned his speed. I don't think he will be able to drop back in coverage very well. He would probably hold up pretty well against the run.

The only prospect who I looked at on tape who looked like the perfect OLB for the Patriots was Derrick Morgan. The height, strength, speed and football instincts were all there. I would trade any one of the second round picks to move up. I would go as far as trading this years number one and the Patriots own number one next year to get him. He is going to be a special player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes