PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick: Defensive woes mostly correctable

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it amazing how many of the delusional posters thought the transformation from OK defense to elite defense was going to happen over night. This is a 2-3 year project at the earliest and always was.

I find it amazing how many of the delusional posters thought the transformation from OK defense to elite defense was going to happen over night. This is a 2-3 year project at the earliest and always was.

So if we seek a championship we should come back in 2012? I wish you told me earlier.....

So if we seek a championship we should come back in 2012? I wish you told me earlier.....
People have been complaining the defense is too old and too slow since what 2006? This is the first real season that a major defensive transformation has taken shape. We've lost savvy veterans and replaced them with the exuberance of youth lacking experience. No amount of training replaces game time.

You want a defense that can compete with and dismantle an elite offense? It doesn't happen over night unless a perfect storm brews.

People have been complaining the defense is too old and too slow since what 2006? This is the first real season that a major defensive transformation has taken shape. We've lost savvy veterans and replaced them with the exuberance of youth lacking experience. No amount of training replaces game time.

You want a defense that can compete with and dismantle an elite offense? It doesn't happen over night unless a perfect storm brews.

Yes, they had to re-make the defense. But they are not too slow. Speed is an asset for guys like Guyton, Mayo, Batnta-Cain, AD, Meriweather, Butler, Wilhite and others. Experience is lacking at ILB and the secondary, but not the DL. Of course, this is just another way of saying "not good enough." Whether they can become good enough with experience remains to be seen. Are you seeing progress?

Yes, they had to re-make the defense. But they are not too slow. Speed is an asset for guys like Guyton, Mayo, Batnta-Cain, AD, Meriweather, Butler, Wilhite and others. Experience is lacking at ILB and the secondary, but not the DL. Of course, this is just another way of saying "not good enough." Whether they can become good enough with experience remains to be seen. Are you seeing progress?
You've misinterpreted a simple post Mack. I was referring to the defense of 2006/2007/2008 being too slow. Now that we've replaced those veterans with an inexperienced youth brigade, you're seeing the difference between playing very good offenses, good offenses and mediocre offenses.

As for progress, I didn't think the defense would perform as well as they have on the whole to date. That's definite progress in my opinion, but as we all know, the lack of quality pass rush is hurting this defense more than anything else.

You've misinterpreted a simple post Mack. I was referring to the defense of 2006/2007/2008 being too slow. Now that we've replaced those veterans with an inexperienced youth brigade, you're seeing the difference between playing very good offenses, good offenses and mediocre offenses.

As for progress, I didn't think the defense would perform as well as they have on the whole to date. That's definite progress in my opinion, but as we all know, the lack of quality pass rush is hurting this defense more than anything else.
It is a sensible point, although our DC claims that they have played enough games not be making the mistakes they made. Still, I prefer your explanation to the alternative. Which argues against most personnel changes. Still, you wonder what he has to see before he realizes that he needs to find ways to take whatever risks are necessary to get some pressure up front. Against Miami's mediocre offense they should be okay. On teh other side of the ball, it is a whole different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back