PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick: Defensive woes mostly correctable

Status
Not open for further replies.
He doesn't promote or retain coaches who don't perform up to his own standards.

Yet another crazy lie in your fabricated reality.

You can't name one coordinator that Belichick has fired since he's been here, even poor performing ones.

Your thinking is so simplistic (and wrong), essentially the same "[x is happening], and Belichick is a genius, so I'm going to rationalize it as Belichick being right or intentionally doing something".

Name a current defense with 11 "elite" starters.

We didn't get pressure on Brees. Fine so.... exactly who has got pressure on him this year? How do they average 37 points a game?

Look, you're jumping to conclusions. I've never insinuated that a current defense has 11 elite defenders. No one in the history has ever had that, not even the Bears or Ravens when they won a SB.

I'm just pointing out that right now we don't have enough playmakers. That is the truth, and I'm sorry if hearing that hurts your feelings.

Look at the past SB years, we had Seymour, Rodney, Bruschi, McGinest, Colvin, Vrabel, Law as elite/very good players. Plus you had Poole, Ted Washington (when he was here), Phifer, Ted Johnson, Milloy, as good players. Those teams were loaded compared to the current team. I'm not saying we can't develop the young guys into very good players, but they'r not there right now and that's why we are losing to elite teams. Dude, if you can't accept that, then you're homerism is beyond help.

mcogwan has been quiet lately, but he forced a fumble at the goalline against the Falcons which completely changed the momentum of the game, recovered a fumble on the opening KO against the ravens which ended up being huge, held Tony G to one catch and has helped shut down pretty much every TE we've faced so far I'd say he's an above average-good player right now

McGowan was on his way to establishing himself as a very good player. Somehow though, he's tailed off a bit. I don't think he's a liability, but the plays that he was making earlier are not showing up anymore. You see him making tackles after catches or 10 yards from the LOS, where before I saw force incompletions and make tackles 3-4 yards from the LOS.

Last edited:
Look, you're jumping to conclusions. I've never insinuated that a current defense has 11 elite defenders. No one in the history has ever had that, not even the Bears or Ravens when they won a SB.

I'm just pointing out that right now we don't have enough playmakers. That is the truth, and I'm sorry if hearing that hurts your feelings.

Look at the past SB years, we had Seymour, Rodney, Bruschi, McGinest, Colvin, Vrabel, Law as elite/very good players. Plus you had Poole, Ted Washington (when he was here), Phifer, Ted Johnson, Milloy, as good players. Those teams were loaded compared to the current team. I'm not saying we can't develop the young guys into very good players, but they'r not there right now and that's why we are losing to elite teams. Dude, if you can't accept that, then you're homerism is beyond help.

I know those guys

Those were the guys who gave up 2 fourth quarter touchdowns in SB 36. That includes the TD that tied the game late with less than 2 minutes to go.

They were also the guys on defense that gave up 29 points to Carolina in SB 38. That includes a TD with less than 2 minutes to go to tie the game at 29.

The 01-04 defenses were stacked with players in the prime of there careers (6-9 year range). That morphed to "old and slow".

Now we have "young, fast, and inexperienced". It's not shocking what happened Monday. Even more so because the Saints have done it against every other opponent they have played.

How much do you want a bet EVERYONE on this team, coaches included, was made starkly aware that they are expendable at today's meeting?

The only guy who wasn't at practice was Taylor.

How much do you want a bet EVERYONE on this team, coaches included, was made starkly aware that they are expendable at today's meeting?

The only guy who wasn't at practice was Taylor.

I really hope this loss delivered a massive kick to the nuts from BB all week.

I know those guys

Those were the guys who gave up 2 fourth quarter touchdowns in SB 36. That includes the TD that tied the game late with less than 2 minutes to go.

They were also the guys on defense that gave up 29 points to Carolina in SB 38. That includes a TD with less than 2 minutes to go to tie the game at 29.

The 01-04 defenses were stacked with players in the prime of there careers (6-9 year range). That morphed to "old and slow".

Now we have "young, fast, and inexperienced". It's not shocking what happened Monday. Even more so because the Saints have done it against every other opponent they have played.

So are you still refuting my original post about this year not having enough playmakers?

You never made the list of who you consider to be elite, good, above average, and average defenders.

BTW, those guys that gave up 2 late TDs in SB 36 kept us in that game and even scored an INT TD. They were up against "The Greatest Show on Turf." Total points they gave up? 17.

And that 03 SB defense? Shut down co-MVPs back to back (McNair and Manning) in the playoffs. Allowed 14 and 17 points. That Colts team we couldn't stop this year? That team is JV compared to that 03 Colts offense. That defense in 03 stopped a much better Colts team that had a legit running game (Edge), Harrison and Wayne in their prime and a good slot guy in Stokley. We beat that Colts team IN their own stadium and dominated them in our home turf.

So yeah, eventually those guys got old and slow, but in their prime, we rode them.

Can we say the same thing about this year's defense?

Last edited:
I hope BB is relentless with the ass-kicking this week. Everyone on this team needs a good can of whoop-ass, even Brady. I hope BB calls him Jamarcus Russell this week.

No way BB kicks them while they're down. Thats exactly the wrong thing to do. He'll tell them just get back to basics, do your job, that's it. Move on. Focus on the next game and just execute.

it did not work when he made AD inactive for a game

a coach is only as good as he's player's and right now BB dose not have the player's on D to get it done

Last edited:
I think the correction to make is not letting 42 guys have a terrible game on the same day. Bill should limit it to 10 or 23 max., and then they should be in good shape for the final run.

I think the correction to make is not letting 42 guys have a terrible game on the same day. Bill should limit it to 10 or 23 max., and then they should be in good shape for the final run.

That's just silly.

Seriously now.... Of course our defensive woes are correctable; We must avoid playing really good teams, with QB's that know how to exploit our rather inexperienced and thin defense. If we can do that all the way to the Super Bowl, I think this season is in the bag. ;)

Last edited:
Hats off to the Saints. They are a healthy, deep and focused team. They'll obviously fare well in the NFC race to the SB.

Our defense:

1. Had too many plays with players out of position and in bad position's to tackle. The Saints athleticism showed in YAC too. Kind of like Denver's receivers.

2. Drew is one of the best passers. Some of those passes had VERY tight coverage and when thrown PERFECTLY (Drew did dat)-Nobody can defend.
Colts are another good ex. You just gotta make the tackle.

We got stunned and had no chance to bounce back.

We'll def. see better D coming up.

One game at a time. Don't look too far ahead yet.

Last edited:
Last time I heard that was in 2002 when the run defense was a sive and BB said that there was a combination of technique and alignment issues that are easy to fix.

So when is BB hiring Karl Rove to spin this one?

I don't think the D will ultimately get it done... but your example has flaws : namely he DID get it right and the won two consecutive SBs ! Yikes ! I pray for that kind of example !

Last edited:
D is correctable?
How is that, is he gonna ask the other teams if he can borrow their DL?
Should ask if their OL is up for rent as well

You have identified the problem but not the solution.

Half of our starters on the lines are injured. They played well before their injuries.

D is correctable?
How is that, is he gonna ask the other teams if he can borrow their DL?
Should ask if their OL is up for rent as well

Are we saying that although we've had MANY good draft picks to use, we haven't drafted anything decent that can even be used as decent depth?

Having lousy depth is who's fault? Bill, Scott, Who??

How often does Neal get injured, it seems like every important game that guy is going down....where is his replacement, this isn't a new revelation as he hasn't played 16 games since 2005, the next best being 13 in 06, 8 in 07, 9 in 08, and 10 this year.....he beat Brock Lesnar we get it, but there should have been a FT player ready to go by now, because he is NOT it.

I just don't understand why we don't have decent quality depth with all the draft wheeling and dealing we do, we keep drafting guys that just aren't good, and that's a serious problem.

No way BB kicks them while they're down. Thats exactly the wrong thing to do. He'll tell them just get back to basics, do your job, that's it. Move on. Focus on the next game and just execute.

i think his postgame and demeanour all week and even during the game when chatting with brady seemed to the effect where he knew they couldve played better than they did and arent as bad as they were .Even on WEEI he said there were good things although much less than the bad ones.

You know, you seem to have a certain joy when the Patriots lose. Then you can come here and proclaim how right you are and how bad Belichick is. This is kind of sick and twisted on your part. Very NEMlike.

So, Are you a true Patriot fan or are you Chicken Little?

My guess is that NEPatriot is a Jets fan who snuck in here to throw vitriole into this board. The Pats lost an away game on MNF giving up the average # of points the opponent scores. Visitors almost never win on MNF against teams with winning records. NO is just a well-constructed team that had a really good night against a young, learning Patriots team. The biggest question is, are there three more wins in the Pats so they win the Division and get a shot at a Wild Card team at home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back