PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick defends cornerbacks performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if the corners weren't the problem then it's the coaching, something that Rodney Harrison suggested similarly in his brutally honest piece.

I still believe the Patriots out-coached themselves against the Steelers.

When Bret Farvre was with the Jets he crushed us in the middle of the field in front of the zone. That repeated itself for three years and then last year Merriweather started crushing people who came across the middle, and the secondary got much much better. So now he is gone and the opposition is crushing the Pats across the middle, in front of the zone. This defense is horrible, hell they even have a little bit of a pass rush lately and the secondary can't hit a bong, never mind a reciever coming across the middle.

This team has limited talent in that area, their DB's aren't even just OK, they LB core is pretty good, but the can't cover very well. The Patriots earned their 32nd rank in the league and I don't see any signs that they will get any better. A dominant pass rush can hide a lot of sins in the defensive backfield, but the Pats don't have that. They got 5 sacks last week, many came when they were needed, but then the next play there was no pressure and Rothlesberger would have 5 seconds for the tight end to cross the field and catch a 12 yard pass. Belichick cannot have it both ways, he can't have a bend but don't break defense with a bad secondary and he can't have an aggressive defense without talent in the middle. Chung is good, McCourty might be good, everybody else is just a jag.

Belichick defended his DB's because he is the guy who put this unit together. To admit that they sucked is to admit that he was wrong. I am a Bill guy, but he isn't real good at admiting he screwed up.

Did you read that somewhere or come to this conclusion watching the game on TV?

Easy to see on the tv, and it's what I said they'd do when discussing likely strategy with a Steelers poster.

I believe earlier in the week Bill said that there were communication breakdowns between the linebackers and safeties. Possibly related to Mayo only being used rotationally. It was not the intent of the game plan to leave Miller uncovered. However the Steelers ran essentially the same play with Miller but out of a variety of formations and the linebackers and safeties failed to recognize that and account for him when he wasn't in the formations they were anticipating...

A very old Jewish joke.

There's a funeral in a small community that has to be done by a visiting rabbi. He doesn't know the deceased so, when it comes time to speak about the dead man, he asks those who are there for their memories. One says "He was a bully", another says "He was a thief", another "He cheated on his wife". It gets to the point that the rabbi asks "doesn't anyone have anything good to say about him?" At that a man gets up and says "Yes, his brother Abe was worse!"

That's the way I feel about arguing the cornerbacks weren't a problem.

Some fans are missing the fact that, despite what Rodney Harrison says about blitzing, we were sending men each and every play, blitzed more than ever, didn't get to Ben, and he was getting the ball out lightning fast. of course Miller was open. Ben looked like Brady out there, burning the blitz.

Not sure what game Harrison was watching, but the Patriots most certainly blitzed. They were way too aggressive.

Easy to see on the tv, and it's what I said they'd do when discussing likely strategy with a Steelers poster.

I agree with your observation. I saw one play and I can't recall exactly (because i promptly deleted the game from my DVR) but Guyton drops deep middle where a safety would usually play and Ben hits Miller or Brown to the left of Guyton who had he not looked completely lost was in good position and could have had his 2nd INT of that game. Instead he got himself turned around and by the time he watched the QB and realized where the ball was going could only flail his arms in the general direction of the receiver.

So it's hard for me to blame BB the coach when you have to scheme around that secondary. If we aren't dropping the LB's back so far..... A NFL starting caliber safety makes that play or at the very least breaking up the pass. Maybe Ben checks down or holds onto it for a coverage sack. But I guess I could blame BB the GM since the secondary is of his own doing. :mad:

I agree. Presuming that we focus on the defense, instead of an offense who couldn't score 17 against a steeler team playing without linebackers, the patriot linebackers and safeties were most responsible.

Safeties and linebackers. Most of the damage was done down the middle of the field.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back