PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick: Crable could return

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reiss was asked a question in his chat today about having only 3 OLB. Here's what he wrote:

...I think they'd look at their depth chart as four-deep, counting Shawn Crable on the practice squad. I haven't heard of anything in terms of outside help at this point.

Chat: Chat with Mike Reiss - SportsNation - ESPN Boston

Doesn't necessarily mean he'll be active this week, but interesting comment nonetheless. I don't think you usually see references to practice squad when discussing depth, do you?

Reiss was asked a question in his chat today about having only 3 OLB. Here's what he wrote:

Chat: Chat with Mike Reiss - SportsNation - ESPN Boston

Doesn't necessarily mean he'll be active this week, but interesting comment nonetheless. I don't think you usually see references to practice squad when discussing depth, do you?

I mentioned this in another thread, but it might be relevant here too. I think we're going to see a blurring of the line between ILB and OLB for the Pats this year. I think Mayo, Spikes, and Guyton are all going to have snaps during a game where they have "outside" responsibilities, especially when we're playing with 4 hands down players and 5 DBs, leaving just two LBs on the field. If those LBs are Mayo and Guyton, they have to cover from midfield to the sideline, much like an OLB would in some situations.

In the base, they won't be the OLBs, but they'll have OLB assignments in sub packages.

I mentioned this in another thread, but it might be relevant here too. I think we're going to see a blurring of the line between ILB and OLB for the Pats this year. I think Mayo, Spikes, and Guyton are all going to have snaps during a game where they have "outside" responsibilities, especially when we're playing with 4 hands down players and 5 DBs, leaving just two LBs on the field. If those LBs are Mayo and Guyton, they have to cover from midfield to the sideline, much like an OLB would in some situations.

In the base, they won't be the OLBs, but they'll have OLB assignments in sub packages.

Often in a front with four down linemen at least one of the DE's will have outside contain, and in a nickel at least one DB will have a zone in the flats, so it's not quite sideline to sideline.

Remember the Broncos play the Raiders twice:cool:

Ha!! Good point, I hadn't considered it!! :eek:

In the War Effort, every little bit helps....

But OLBs are DEs in the sub packages, so what you are describing really isnt any different than what we have always done.

Crable did win a Black Shirt this past week. It is given to the player or players who did most for the victory. Its tough to get for a guy on the PS. He had to have been a great player on the scout team, to do it.

I might be wrong but i believe the black shirt is given to the Scout team players (only) who do the most to help out preparing the team.

the black shirt is given to the Scout team players (only) who do the most to help out preparing the team.

:eek::eek::eek:
So that means that my man, The Crab, got his jersey for playing Gholston!!! :eek::eek:

Last edited:
So if Crable does make the 53 or even 45 what does that say about the 08 draft? Wheatley, Crable, Mayo, Slater, and Whilite all active and contributing.....check that Wheatley is not active but he did have a really good preseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back