PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick brushes off Jackson doubters...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanBruschi54

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Watching his conference today on the Pats new Gotuit player. Which works amazing by the way.

The reporter asks: "If fans are looking at a guy like Jackson saying, ?Well how come he hasn?t been more of a factor in games in terms of receptions, etcetera?? Is there an answer to that question?"

Belichick answers
I don't know which fans you're talking to out there, but it?s probably some of the same ones that said the same thing about Ty Warren three years ago. So go back and see what the fans were saying about Ty Warren.

Wow. Must have hit a very raw nerve. I can't remember the last time Belichick rose to the bait and said something that wasn't generic.

arrellbee said:
Wow. Must have hit a very raw nerve. I can't remember the last time Belichick rose to the bait and said something that wasn't generic.
Those were the first two sentences, he kept going after that.

The reference to Ty Warren was great! I must admit I wasn't too high on it myself but ofcourse that Pioli/Bellichick 101. First lesson,"You fan's don't know squat about what we do come draft day so don't knock the cook until you've tasted the meal."

i want to know which fans the reporter talked to before asking the question?Sure fans have doubts about rookies but these reporter's asking their own questions as if we are asking them ...kinda annoying

Patriot Missile said:
The reference to Ty Warren was great! I must admit I wasn't too high on it myself but ofcourse that Pioli/Bellichick 101. First lesson,"You fan's don't know squat about what we do come draft day so don't knock the cook until you've tasted the meal."
Look at the draft Class, 1st round anyway:

1 Cincinnati Bengals Carson Palmer QB Southern California
2 Detroit Lions Charles Rogers WR Michigan State
3 Houston Texans Andre Johnson WR Miami
4 New York Jets1 Dewayne Robertson DT Kentucky
5 Dallas Cowboys Terence Newman CB Kansas State
6 New Orleans Saints2 Johnathan Sullivan DT Georgia
7 Jacksonville Jaguars Byron Leftwich QB Marshall
8 Carolina Panthers Jordan Gross T Utah
9 Minnesota Vikings* Kevin Williams DE Oklahoma State
10 Baltimore Ravens Terrell Suggs OLB Arizona State
11 Seattle Seahawks Marcus Trufant CB Washington State
12 St. Louis Rams Jimmy Kennedy DT Penn State
13 New England Patriots3 Ty Warren DE Texas A&M
14 Chicago Bears4 Michael Haynes DE Penn State
15 Philadelphia Eagles5 Jerome McDougle DE Miami
16 Pittsburgh Steelers6 Troy Polamalu SS Southern California
17 Arizona Cardinals7 Bryant Johnson WR Penn State
18 Arizona Cardinals8 Calvin Pace DE Wake Forest
19 Baltimore Ravens9 Kyle Boller QB California
20 Denver Broncos George Foster T Georgia
21 Cleveland Browns Jeff Faine C Notre Dame
22 Chicago Bears10 Rex Grossman QB Florida
23 Buffalo Bills11 Willis McGahee RB Miami
24 Indianapolis Colts Dallas Clark TE Iowa
25 New York Giants William Joseph DT Miami
26 San Francisco 49ers Kwame Harris T Stanford
27 Kansas City Chiefs12 Larry Johnson RB Penn State
28 Tennessee Titans Andre Woolfolk CB Oklahoma
29 Green Bay Packers Nick Barnett MLB Oregon State
30 San Diego Chargers13 Sammy Davis CB Texas A&M
31 Oakland Raiders Nnamdi Asomugha CB California
32 Oakland Raiders14 Tyler Brayton DE Colorado

The only players that really outplayed Warren after number 13 are Polamalu, Mcgahee and Larry Johnson.

Here is the complete text of his answer, from "All things Belichick", which always has a transcript of his press conferences the next day

http://www.allthingsbillbelichick.com/transcripts/2006/06nov09transcript.htm

BB: I don't know which fans you're talking to out there, but it's probably some of the same ones that said the same thing about Ty Warren three years ago. So go back and see what the fans were saying about Ty Warren. You can't put a timetable on young players. You just can't do it. A lot of it is based on opportunity and a lot of it is based on their progression and there's no set formula for any player at any position on any team. You could look at every team in this league, in college football, you can look at every team wherever you want, you'll see some guys that are start fast and finish slow. You'll see other guys that start slow and finish fast. You'll see some guys that start at one level and kind of stay pretty much at that same consistent level and don't really improve a whole lot. You'll see other guys that will be up and down for whatever reason, that's just the way they are. They're inconsistent. They just don't play with the same kind of consistency that other players play with. You tell me how everybody is going to do, then it will be easy to say where they're going to be, but it's a very individual thing. I've been in football a long time. I've seen guys come in their rookie year, first-round draft choices and think 'This guys is a bust. He's never going to be able to help us,' and the next year he's in the Pro Bowl. I've seen guys come in their first year and have great years and think, 'Wow, this guy is really going to be a great player. Wait until he improves.' And you know what? That's the best it ever is and it never gets better from that point. In fact in some cases, it starts to, for whatever reason, to go the other way. You just don't know that until you've had enough experience and enough time to get a long enough evaluation to do that. With all due respect, I can't really worry about how the fans evaluate our team. I just have to look at it and try to do the best that I can with our coaching staff and we'll evaluate based on what we see. We don't always see it the same. You and I aren't going to see it the same. Not every coach sees it the same. Not every scout sees it the same. That's why you have discussions and meetings and talk about it and try to get everybody's perspective and in the end try to make the right decision. That's all it is.

SeanBruschi54 said:
Look at the draft Class, 1st round anyway:

1 Cincinnati Bengals Carson Palmer QB Southern California
2 Detroit Lions Charles Rogers WR Michigan State
3 Houston Texans Andre Johnson WR Miami
4 New York Jets1 Dewayne Robertson DT Kentucky
5 Dallas Cowboys Terence Newman CB Kansas State
6 New Orleans Saints2 Johnathan Sullivan DT Georgia
7 Jacksonville Jaguars Byron Leftwich QB Marshall
8 Carolina Panthers Jordan Gross T Utah
9 Minnesota Vikings* Kevin Williams DE Oklahoma State
10 Baltimore Ravens Terrell Suggs OLB Arizona State
11 Seattle Seahawks Marcus Trufant CB Washington State
12 St. Louis Rams Jimmy Kennedy DT Penn State
13 New England Patriots3 Ty Warren DE Texas A&M
14 Chicago Bears4 Michael Haynes DE Penn State
15 Philadelphia Eagles5 Jerome McDougle DE Miami
16 Pittsburgh Steelers6 Troy Polamalu SS Southern California
17 Arizona Cardinals7 Bryant Johnson WR Penn State
18 Arizona Cardinals8 Calvin Pace DE Wake Forest
19 Baltimore Ravens9 Kyle Boller QB California
20 Denver Broncos George Foster T Georgia
21 Cleveland Browns Jeff Faine C Notre Dame
22 Chicago Bears10 Rex Grossman QB Florida
23 Buffalo Bills11 Willis McGahee RB Miami
24 Indianapolis Colts Dallas Clark TE Iowa
25 New York Giants William Joseph DT Miami
26 San Francisco 49ers Kwame Harris T Stanford
27 Kansas City Chiefs12 Larry Johnson RB Penn State
28 Tennessee Titans Andre Woolfolk CB Oklahoma
29 Green Bay Packers Nick Barnett MLB Oregon State
30 San Diego Chargers13 Sammy Davis CB Texas A&M
31 Oakland Raiders Nnamdi Asomugha CB California
32 Oakland Raiders14 Tyler Brayton DE Colorado

The only players that really outplayed Warren after number 13 are Polamalu, Mcgahee and Larry Johnson.

I don't know, I think Dallas Clark has to be added to the list as well. William Joseph has played quite well for the Giants as well.

SeanBruschi54 said:
Outplayed? By what standard? I'd be leery of making such a statement about players at different positions and in different systems.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Outplayed? By what standard? I'd be leery of making such a statement about players at different positions and in different systems.
By they're drafting number. The three names i mentioned played better than their value at the pick they were drafted at especially Larry Johnson.

Second Box's comment... you can't give me one objective stat set that explains the impact of Seymour, for example. I mean, I'm pretty sure Dwight Freeney has more sacks... or this year, Aaron Kampmann...how can he be the best Defensive player in the league or even the best DT (or DE if you prefer)? I don't see some mountain of tackles on his part... he gets his hands up, but it's not like he's slapping down 3 passes a game... I can't even make a good statistical argument for Seymour being any good, even compared with other DEs or DTs. But ask NFL players or coaches how good he is, and they're unanimous... or watch how he's all over the line in some games, and seldom leaves open his OWN responsibility.

Now you have to take Warren who starts out in a similar "evaluation" quandry, and also make the comparison to guys whose job is to throw or catch passes or run the ball... you go from apples and oranges to apples and watches or something.

Next up: Olaf Kolzig versus Mia Hamm, Dirt bike racing versus Glasnost, and the 1962 Cleveland Browns vs. Postmodern Poetry.

PFnV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey