PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick/Brady - What Does The Future Hold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulThePat

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Been thinking about this for a few months and finally decided to post. Would have done a poll but I'm not sure how to on here. For me there are 3 scenarios which will play out while both Bill and Tom remain Patriots:

1. Get back to Elite level and win another Lombardi
2. Get back to Elite level and go close but no more Superbowl wins
3. Remain in the pack and be content reaching the play-offs

Don't see a fourth option as I don't think it's in either Bill or Tom's mindset to be anything but a winner of sorts, even if it's just the odd play-off game.

Have to say I'm torn between 1 and 2. Still think there are plenty of pieces in place for us to become an Elite team again. Having 2 first round draft picks next year will help. We really need to make sure we use them wisely as they may define the sort of team we are over the next 5-10 years. The defence will get better. The linebacker group will grow. Tight Ends look set and we'll always hopefully have a receiver or two for Tom to throw to...the more the better.

End of the day if we're 16-0 or 0-16 I'm a homer who will always be proud to be a Pat. My question is just where do you see the team being over the next few years as the Bill and Tom show enters it's final few seasons.

Re: Belichick/Brady - What Does The Future Hold ?

Wish i could find anything about my future or atleast the lottery number.
if i can i will be a millionaire. sadly i have not the faintest clue.

who knows maybe madam cleo will answer this question.

Last edited:

Been thinking about this for a few months and finally decided to post. Would have done a poll but I'm not sure how to on here. For me there are 3 scenarios which will play out while both Bill and Tom remain Patriots:

Don't see a fourth option as I don't think it's in either Bill or Tom's mindset to be anything but a winner of sorts, even if it's just the odd play-off game.

Have to say I'm torn between 1 and 2. Still think there are plenty of pieces in place for us to become an Elite team again. Having 2 first round draft picks next year will help. We really need to make sure we use them wisely as they may define the sort of team we are over the next 5-10 years. The defence will get better. The linebacker group will grow. Tight Ends look set and we'll always hopefully have a receiver or two for Tom to throw to...the more the better.

End of the day if we're 16-0 or 0-16 I'm a homer who will always be proud to be a Pat. My question is just where do you see the team being over the next few years as the Bill and Tom show enters it's final few seasons.

I hope the future holds another Superbowl run. Would be the best option for us right now.

I also just hope that we knock the Jets out of the playoff's for as long as possible. :D

It depends...as I said in another thread, we need to hire some coaches from outside the organization with strong opinions, not keep promoting from within. It breeds a "Yes Men" mentality.

If BB and Brady come to the end of their tenure in the next 4 seasons, BB would want to spend all of the accumulated picks he has and let someone else do with the Patriots what they choose.

For mine, the difference between 1 and 2 is what happens in this year's draft/free agent period.

The Pats are rebuilding, it's as simple as that. I think they're doing a pretty good job of it too. They currently have the youngest starting defense in the league. A couple of years ago they had one of the oldest defenses in the league. I think they had a very good draft last year, although it takes time to truly determine that. They have two first round picks next year and two second round picks as well. The Carolina second might as well be considered a late first round pick because they have to be one of the worst teams in the league and the Oakland pick is more than likely goind to be a top 7. Players don't stay young forever, there comes a time when a team needs to rebuild. The Pats are doing such a good job of it that they remain competitive while they do it. They have a good shot at the division this year and who knows what will happen when the youngest defense in the league starts to mature. I'm excited about the Pats and I think I'll remain excited for a long time!

The patriots have no cordinators because Kraft does not want to pay them after paying BB so much.

It depends...as I said in another thread, we need to hire some coaches from outside the organization with strong opinions, not keep promoting from within. It breeds a "Yes Men" mentality.

Yes, sir. :D

No, seriously i think you are right. We need fresh eyes, fresh ideas.

The Pats are rebuilding, it's as simple as that.
How many pieces of the puzzle do you think we currently have in place. I'm on board with the young players will get better idea. However, there's probably no denying we need a few key upgrades to give us the best chance to return to the big dance.

What positions are the ones we need improvements on in the next couple of years ? For me RB is one. I'm sure there are a few others.

PaulC.

We will win at least one more superbowl before Tom and Bill retire. I'm not even worried about that.

How many pieces of the puzzle do you think we currently have in place. I'm on board with the young players will get better idea. However, there's probably no denying we need a few key upgrades to give us the best chance to return to the big dance.

What positions are the ones we need improvements on in the next couple of years ? For me RB is one. I'm sure there are a few others.

PaulC.

I agree with you on a RB. With Bodden coming back we can draft a top corner to go with the talent we already have there. That would give us a very decent albeit a young secondary. The third of the high three picks we have should be a D/E or linebacker that can attempt to get to the QB for sacks or at least hurrying. Just my opinion but it's based on what I read on this board by very knowledgeable football/Pats fans.

We can win a super bowl this year next year the year after that
it all comes to the young people starting to step up after a few games and the vet's becoming leaders and not followers

I agree with you on a RB. With Bodden coming back we can draft a top corner to go with the talent we already have there. That would give us a very decent albeit a young secondary. The third of the high three picks we have should be a D/E or linebacker that can attempt to get to the QB for sacks or at least hurrying. Just my opinion but it's based on what I read on this board by very knowledgeable football/Pats fans.

P.S. With pick 2b we take the best Offensive lineman available. That's four very decent picks to go with our 2010 draft which appears to be very decent. Rebuilding for years to come is well underway!

STRATEGY
The strategy is and always has been Option 3. The team drafts and secures free agents to be consistently in the playoffs. The team is "content" in reaching the playoffs and the opportunity to compete in the second season where anything can happen.

GOING INTO THE SEASON
2001 and 2002 were not elite teams. 2003 was questionable, but getting there. 2004 was definitely an elite team, as was 2007. 2008 was an elite team also, until Brady went down.
2005 was not; some thought that 2006 was indeed an elite team.

We are definitely rebuilding in 2010. HOWEVER, consider this team with the addition of Bodden, Warren and say McGahee. As it is, we were the cofavorite to win our division and favorties to be in the playoffs. If an elite team is one of the top 4-6 in the league, then the patriots were certainly an elite team before Bodden went down and close after that happened.

THE LAST TEN YEARS
We have ALWAYS won at least 9 game, ALWAYS won the division or tied for the division. We won the division in 2009 in a year where there was some clear rebuiling or re-tooling.

MY ONE (ONLY ONE) NITPICK WITH BELICHICK
I have disagreements. I would spend more resources at LB and even at RB. However, there is no question with regard to who knows best with regard to building a team. And it is not the fans; it is the front office of the patriots and the colts.

Belichick, please, please stop handicapping the team by having so few coordinators and coaches! Surely, there are top coordinators or coaches somewhere in the nfl who would be willing to take orders from Belichick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes