PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick and the scoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestpatsfan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I know this is a hot topic, and I have not seen this mentioned yet as for the reason why we continue to keep the starters in and continue to score.

1. Belichick is pissed! For a guy who is a huge history buff, there is no way he wants to go down in history with the black mark of spygate as his legacy. So to counter that, he will field the greatest team to ever play in a single season. This team could go undefeated, could break a ton of records on offense, and be one of the best defenses statistically. If this were to happen, spygate goes away, and the title of greatest coach ever comes back into conversation. Basically this is a big F-you to the league.

2. This goes along with reason one, but he wants brady to have all the records for a QB. Another F-you to the league. He is saying to brady "sorry" for last years WR situation, so you go out and have fun and throw you touchdowns. I knew watching that game yesterday that brady would not come out until he had thrown that 3rd touchdown pass, and that is exactly what they did.

3. Why not continue to score. This has been mentioned, but even the patriots have to think at some point they may be in a game that is close that has some meaning this season. If you start taking everyone out at halftime so you do not run up the score, that will hurt the team in the long run because the continuity just will not be there.

In addition to Belichick probably thinking the league "ran up the score" on the Spygate thing, he's just flipping the bird while "following the rules". He was screwed up the &^* for not following the rules - well there's no mercy rule in the NFL so he's now doing what he can within the rules. Polian will be calling for a mercy rule a week from today.

Good points. Not sure I totally agree to all of it. In fact, I'm not sure WHAT TO THINK. Part of me think its a deliberate and that BB is crushing opponents to dust, just cuz.

But after watching the game yesterday........ I'm not sure what to think. It could be that we are SO GOOD, that we are putting ourselves into interesting positions that are somewhat UNPRECEDENTED. I mean, we've found ourselves in some odd places. Every game, by the middle of the 3rd, the games over and we're in garbage time. Sure "garbage time" is not a new thing in the NFL, but Garbage time just after the half kinda is......... at least on a regular basis.

You can't "take a knee" the rest of the game in the 3rd. Kicking FG on 4th when you leading by 35 is TRULY "disrespectful". So you really gotta keep playing. If the D doesn't choose to stop you, then you are GONNA score. As for yanking starters.......... You really can't. We pay them (and expect them as fans) to see them when we fork out big bucks to go to games. Plus "THEY NEED GAME WORK", and yanking them at the half every game, in the long haul HURTS us.

Until the league comes up with a "mercy rule" or allowing an "opposing team" to throw in the towel, there really is not much to do but keep playing. I just think we might be too good and these problems are inevitable.

I find this whole debate funny. The "running up the score" angle seems like an extremely convenient excuse for the defensive players after games. Rather than talk about how the Pats outplayed and outcoached them, we get comments like the ones we heard from Randall Godfrey. If you're going to be so upset about running up the score, play better defense.

I find this whole debate funny. The "running up the score" angle seems like an extremely convenient excuse for the defensive players after games. Rather than talk about how the Pats outplayed and outcoached them, we get comments like the ones we heard from Randall Godfrey. If you're going to be so upset about running up the score, play better defense.
Randall Godfrey is an idiot. He said we ran up the score (52-7) and said the Redskins would never do that. In the 1984 playoffs, Joe Gibbs and the Redskins beat the Rams 51-7. Gibbs knew it - that's why he said he had no problem.

Fans can yap about running up the score; yapping is what we do. Media can yap about running up the score; mindless yapping is what they do (and do and do and do...).

But players should not yap. It is a loser mentality and takes the focus off the fact that they need to get better. When they say, "We'll remeber this next time," they are missing the point of the beat-down. They shuld be saying, "We got our butts whipped and need to get better."

This yapping players are upset aout running up the score. They are upset that the score was run up on THEM.

Losers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing