PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick and the future

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacky Roberts

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
We all know that Belichick isn't going anywhere, but just in case, what do you think the Pats do IF Belichick decides to retire or move on? Do they make a move to sign Charlie Weis? One conspiracy theory I've heard is they picked up the first round pick next year for potential compensation to give to the Jets to hire Mangini.

Anyhow, if he goes, what do you think they would do?

Last edited:
We all know that Belichick isn't going anywhere, but just in case, what do you think the Pats do IF Belichick decides to retire or move on? Do they make a move to sign Charlie Weis? One conspiracy theory I've heard is they picked up the first round pick next year for potential compensation to give to the Jets to hire Mangini.

Anyhow, if he goes, what do you think they would do?

By denying your own premise at the beginning ("We all know...but..."), you create an interesting logical conundrum...but let's not get into that...

I'd go with the Weis option as he is a proven commodity and, with Brady Quinn, the last two years might have been as good as it's going to get for him at ND for some time. "Mangenius" has to show me that he's more than a Bill Parcells wannabe motivator and that he can succeed over time.

Since we're starting from a false premise to begin with, what about Bill Cowher?

Given the firmly stated premise,
"that Belichick isn't going anywhere" ...

i feel certain that BB's successor - not up to being a replacement -
would be someone from the coaching tree
who already has operational experience within this system.
This system works ... and the club is sticking to it.

Thus Weis and Mangia (both fellows who must have trouble pushing back from the dining table)
would be prominent suspects.

Then look to someone already on staff.
Finally might come some of the other acolytes from the college ranks.

In these deepest of offseason doldrums
everyone appreciates any imaginative effort at a thread theme
that isn't Asan(te)-ine.

If we could get Weis in that situation that would be good....still part of the Belichick "tree"...lets hope he plans to stay for a three or four more years anyway.

If bill goes we'll sign Romeo.

Good God, no. Nothing against Romeo, but he'd be a disaster. As idiotic as it may sound, I think I'd rather give Pepper Johnson a shot over Romeo. I think Romeo rode BB's coattails and gets a lot of credit for BB's effort.

God I hope NEM's still around if we ever sign Charlie Weis as HC.

Belichick isn't going anywhere, but if he had to retire, health etc.

I would nominate a man that he might well recommend to Kraft himself.

A fellow who might be available; has head coaching experience; and beleives (and helped develop) the Belichick offensive an defensive systems too; so the present Patriot players fit his system too.

Nick Saban !!

(Welcome back to the NFL... with an Opportunity rather than a Sentence.)

Kinda thought that they are grooming Josh McDaniels for the heir apparent.. same pedigree, same upbringing and they like to reward loyalty.

I would also vote for Saban or Crennel over Weiss. Probably Saban. It even took BB one disaster in the pros before he got it right.

No one talks about it but Dan Reeves probably still has alot of good coaching in him.

Weis is/was a very good coordinator. What evidence is there that he'd be a good NFL HC though? He's been at ND for 2 seasons and has been ok at best.

I also believe that McDaniels is bring groomed. He sure has the right mentor. Weis certainly has more credentials than McDaniels. The Krafts might be concerned about his health though..

Last edited:
bill cowher is my pick

My vote goes to Rob Ryan or Pat Hill.

It's like asking who is going to replace Brady or Pioli.

Who the hell cares right now?

It's like asking who is going to replace Brady or Pioli.

Who the hell cares right now?

Its the summer. I suppose we can go back to talking about Asante or Vick ad nauseum.

Maybe some recipies from Robert's House?

What about Pees? Although he's new to the Patriots, he's a more experienced veteran than someone like McDaniels.

If Belichick were to leave within the next two years, I'd expect Pees to be more ready to assume a head coaching role than McDaniels.

I'd go with the Weis option as he is a proven commodity and, with Brady Quinn, the last two years might have been as good as it's going to get for him at ND for some time.

My take is that Brady Quinn owes more to Weis than vice versa. I think that once Charlie's own recruits start to come through Notre Dame will be stronger than in the last two years.

I wish I had an opinion on the original question. A few years ago I would have said 'Saban", then "Mangini". Now I'll just say "anyone but Cowher"!

Urban Meyer. The guy is a proven winner who has won (repeatedly) at the college level and seems smart enough to move up unlike some other college coaches (see Spurrier, S)

Just my $0.02,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing