PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick and McDaniels trendsetters on offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the rules Polian had instituted or more visibly enforced regarding the 5-yard chuck rule, pass interference, and substitution while a team is in the hurry up offense, it makes sense for coaches to react with a scheme such as Meyer's spread offense. Ironic that the impetus to enforcing those rules was to stop the Pats - and then they were the first to take advantage of the changes.

I'm not sure I agree with the wording that suggests BB adopted Meyers offense.
BB talked with Meyer about what he does offensively, because there were similarities in their approach, and he picked up some of the tenets of Meyers philosophy. To imply that BB went to Fla and said "Urban, teach me your offense, I want to scrap mine and copy you" is incorrect, not that you were saying that, but its starting to come across that way on this baord.

It was interesting watching SB XXXVI on NFLN and the number of times the Pats were in the spread.

However, it has been noted in many articles how BB was always looking for insight from other people and programs and it the antithesis on "not invented here".

I would say the Meyer is more of a "test lab" for the evolution of the Pats offense with both coaches having a great relationship.

I miswrote. What I meant to say is that they incorporated pieces of Meyer's spread offense into the Pats' offense. Obviously they didn't duplicate the offense since we don't see many QB options with Brady.

Belichick is a brilliant football mind, but like most brilliant football minds, he doesn't exactly create anything new. He is an innovator in that he can take bits and pieces of other systems and improve on them or tie multiple systems together to make something new. There hasn't really been any completely new innovation in the NFL for decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back