PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick and Caserio on Clay Matthews

Status
Not open for further replies.

reflexblue

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like BB and Caserio regret passing on Matthews. Not that they would really say what they felt in a press conference.

Belichick, Caserio discuss Packers LB Matthews - Extra Points - Boston.com

"Clay's a good football player. When you look at that USC defense, they had a lot of good players. I think the Packers are happy they have Matthews, and we're happy with the players that we have on our team."

Last edited:
I wish Caserio hadn't put it that way -- that kind of faint praise is locker room material for Matthews.

Doesn't sound like BB and Caserio regret passing on Matthews.

"Clay's a good football player. When you look at that USC defense, they had a lot of good players. I think the Packers are happy they have Matthews, and we're happy with the players that we have on our team."

I don't think that means anything.

Have you ever heard BB badmouth one of his own players? He'd pretty much have to badmouth Brace/Butler to say anything else.

I wish Caserio hadn't put it that way -- that kind of faint praise is locker room material for Matthews.

The Packers are fighting for their playoff lives in the NFC North. We're 11-2 and the best team in the NFL right now. Did you think that Matthews wasn't going to play hard anyway?

I still wish we had taken Matthew's if I'm honest, he would have been perfect in the 3-4 last year with TBC on the other side (10.0 sacks, I think?). If we have the option of taking a top pass rusher I HOPE BB doesn't trade the pick away for picks.

Yep, Clay Matthews is pissed. Might as well forget the game and sit by the fireplace with some hot chocolate instead.

Totally not enough to interpret, unless you're Rex Ryan.

The Packers are fighting for their playoff lives in the NFC North. We're 11-2 and the best team in the NFL right now. Did you think that Matthews wasn't going to play hard anyway?

Belichick makes it a policy of carefully overpraising the opposition. Part of his relentless attention to detail. Probably seldom matters, but you never know when a particular player might have something going on in their life that is distracting them. Insults, accidental or otherwise, can have a focusing effect. Caserio's remark is uncharacteristic of the way Belichick coaches press interactions.

Doesn't sound like BB and Caserio regret passing on Matthews.

If you took what Belichick said in press conferences about other teams, you would think he regrets passing on a lot of great and a lot of not so great and downright mediocre players. The only player I have never seen him speak less than glowing about is Freddy Mitchell.

Belichick may have regretted passing on him or he may not. The last place you can really get evidence either way is one of his press conferences.

I still wish we had taken Matthew's if I'm honest, he would have been perfect in the 3-4 last year with TBC on the other side (10.0 sacks, I think?). If we have the option of taking a top pass rusher I HOPE BB doesn't trade the pick away for picks.

He wouldn't have fit in our 2 gap. Knock on him in college was his zone coverage skills, which our system requires- he had a tendency to overpursue which is good for the Packers 1 gap, but not for us.

If you took what Belichick said in press conferences about other teams, you would think he regrets passing on a lot of great and a lot of not so great and downright mediocre players. The only player I have never seen him speak less than glowing about is Freddy Mitchell.

Belichick may have regretted passing on him or he may not. The last place you can really get evidence either way is one of his press conferences.

No kidding. I think it should be required before you post on Patsfans.com that you think "BB is scared of the other team" or "regrets not drafting" or "wants to trade for" etc. You watch BB's presser in 2007 leading up to our second meeting with the Dolphins. You would think that the Dolphins were full of all-pro talent and were undefeated.

All I see here is the standard BB mantra, "don't throw our guys under the bus"....

He wouldn't have fit in our 2 gap. Knock on him in college was his zone coverage skills, which our system requires- he had a tendency to overpursue which is good for the Packers 1 gap, but not for us.

OK, we didn't/still don't get to see very many USC games over here, really only times are bowl games and since they're not in them for the next couple of years, we won't.

OK, we didn't/still don't get to see very many USC games over here, really only times are bowl games and since they're not in them for the next couple of years, we won't.

Sorry, didn't know you were actually in Scotland. Nice country, though. You need to convince Sean to come back to the big screen!

The only player I have never seen him speak less than glowing about is Freddy Mitchell.

S Anthony Smith... who coincidentally enough plays for the Packers now.

I think the knock on him in college was that he didn;t play that much until his senior season. But when he did play, he was very good and he did play in coverage a little. He wasn't very good, but he was better than Cunningham is now in coverage.

Between not enough film and Mathews perceived inability to set a hard edge in the running game is why I think BB passed on him.

Would I rather have Mathews instead of TBC or Cunningham, for sure, but not if it costs us all the other players that BB got in the trade with Green Bay. That draft day trade worked out well for both teams, I think it just appears that Green Bay has a bad habit of fleecing BB on draft day.

It is interesting, one of the picks they got back from Green Bay was traded to Jacksonville for a 2nd this year. If you follow all those picks through trades, it ended up being:

Clay Matthews (GB)
Jamon Merideth (GB, later cut and played for Det, Buf and NYG)
Lamarr Houston (Oak)
Travis Goethel (Oak)

for

Darius Butler
Brandon Tate
Julian Edelman
Rob Gronkowski

Probably not as cut-and-dry, although Matthews is the best player in the lot.

Think you should've said "but BB probably will trade the pick away for more"

Months and months ago you knew it was inevitable that the first thing the local media would want to talk about when the Packers played the Pats this year was Clay Matthews, and revisiting that draft.

Curran: Pats missed the boat on Clay Matthews | CSNNE.com
While the Patriots have shored up their pass rush somewhat in 2010 with rookie Jermaine Cunningham, Matthews' production is hard to overlook.

He is turned loose a little more in the 3-4 system Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers runs, but his NFL attributes would fit well here in New England.

The Patriots made a mistake passing on him, though Director of Player Personnel Nick Caserio said, "Clay's a good football player. When you look at that USC defense, they had a lot of good players. I think the Packers are happy they have Matthews, and we're happy with the players that we have on our team."

Boston Herald - Rap Sheet: Let’s start if off with my favorite what-if game: The Patriots and Packers LB Clay Matthews…
What if the Patriots had drafted Clay Matthews?

The Packers LB, who the Patriots will have to block Sunday, is second in the NFL with 12.5 sacks. He’s been, in short, a beast. For a 3-4 scheme that has needed pass-rushers, he could’ve helped, right?

The Matthews trade - Extra Points - Boston Globe
The Packers general manager Ted Thompson, for just the second time in his career, traded up (first time ever back into the first round) with the Patriots and selected USC LB Clay Matthews.

Matthews was third in defensive rookie of the year voting last season and went to the Pro Bowl. He was one of the favorites for NFL Defensive Player of the Year this season before injuries (hamstring, shin) have hobbled him.

It Is What It Is | The Big Nickel: The Clay Matthews Debate, a penalty watch preview and Louis Leonard's Arrival
1. Expect a lot of Clay Matthews talk this week.

The Patriots had a chance to take him in the 2009 draft, and decided to pass on the linebacker out of USC who has gone on to become one of the best pass-rushers in the league with the Packers — he had 10 sacks as a rookie last season, and has 12.5 sacks this year, good for second in the league. In hindsight, the idea of Matthews in a New England uniform is a tantalizing thought, especially for a team that has struggled to put together a consistent pass rush over the last two seasons.

“Clay is fast, quick. He’s got real good balance,” Patriots coach Bill Belichick said on a conference call with the media on Tuesday afternoon. “He’s a guy with a high motor, so even at times when it looks like he’s blocked, he can still come out and get in on the play. He’s a good pursuit player, but I’d say his speed and his quickness are big assets.

“He’s a guy that’s never really out of the play. You can run away from him but he can run you down or you can run to him and it kind of looks like you might have him blocked, but he spins out of things and uses his quickness and his athleticism to get out of tight situations, stay alive and make plays. So, [he’s] a good football player.”

It was clear the Patriots at least had an interest in Matthews for several reasons, not the least of which was that his father played 19 seasons in the NFL — three of which were for Belichick in Cleveland in the 1990s — and Belichick would later say he was “lucky” to have the chance to coach the elder Matthews. Before the 2009 draft, I spoke with the father (as well as the son’s high school coach, Charlie Wegher) about the possibility of the son playing for Belichick and the Patriots.

Your right i took it on face value without thinking much about. A press conference would be the Last place to get any real information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back