PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Belichick #14 on GQ's "Most Despicable Coaches" list

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must have missed something along the way. What's with Ditka and Belichick any how?

Whos ****a to judge another coach..he was a loser as a coach. It was Buddy Ryan that was the brains behind the '85 Bears, not ****a. ****a's a baffoon, he must be a good talker to get to where he is now. Besides being a lousy coach he used N.O. entire draft on ONE Player ......He should just STFU.

I was kinda hoping for #1, but, such is life.

I think I speak for the entire community here when I say "Ditka can kiss my ass"

Edit: on ESPN Ditka said that we have no Religion and that we play for stats, and to run up the score when on the subject of pulling starters.

Last edited:
I think I speak for the entire community here when I say "Ditka can kiss my ass"

Edit: on ESPN Ditka said that we have no Religion and that we play for stats, and to run up the score when on the subject of pulling starters.

Big time.He is such a whiner

Well, there goes GQ's prospects for a future article on Brady.

And isn't it strange that some of the most despised coaches are also the most successful in their respective sports?

Oh, well. He may be one of the most despised, but since he found his way into GQ he must look good with that reputation. The evening wear gray hoodie - an excellent choice for the occasion.:)
The point is that BB doesn't belong on the list because he isn't "despicable". There is a difference between "despised" and "despicable".

Well said, well said. And LOL at Ditka's remarks--what a tool. Like another poster said, I'd like to know exactly why Ditka hates BB and the Pats with such venom. :confused:

The point is that BB doesn't belong on the list because he isn't "despicable". There is a difference between "despised" and "despicable".

Did I say he did? And thanks for the grammar lesson - I didn't realize "deserving to be despised" and despised were not the same. My eyes are now open. Assume if you are characterized as despicable, people despise you in some way, shape or form as at least one person is claiming publicly you deserve to be despised and likely despises you himself or herself.

The point is the article is stupid, whether classified as despised or deserving of that regard. My additional point was success often breeds contempt, and people like Lombardi, once you get past the records, are traditionally not the most lovable characters in the eyes of people and fans of teams in their path. It is the author's opinion, in this case an author associated with a style magazine. Call me crazy for not taking it too seriously.

Come to grips with the fact the national media does not love Belichick and likely never will. The media assessment is not objective and is easily defeated if people actually considered the good stuff Belichick actually does that he does not generate press releases to publicize. But vanilla good side/bad side stories are not nearly as interesting as one sided presentations of villains and heroes. As such, Belichick the villain is the primary storyline.

Actually it looks like BB is #1 in terms of being the most despicable NFL coach. Add to that the fact that Mike Ditka called BB an ahole, then I can only conclude that this ranking is yet another honor in BB's long list of accomplishments.

Why aren't Nick Saban and Bobby Petrino on this list?

Tony Dungy's radically homophobic social stances are far more despicable but he's a good Christian and stuff I guess

Also look at #5, the Irish swim coach. The other two guys were convicted, but he was acquitted (and it says that right there in the article). He's 'despicable' despite being found innocent in a court of law? Jesus, GQ.

Last edited:
Did I say he did? And thanks for the grammar lesson - I didn't realize "deserving to be despised" and despised were not the same. My eyes are now open. Assume if you are characterized as despicable, people despise you in some way, shape or form as at least one person is claiming publicly you deserve to be despised and likely despises you himself or herself.
My point was not to give you a grammar lesson but to point out that the article said BB is despicable or deserving of being despised. I thought you were trying to say that just because he was despised doesn't make him, or others that have had success in sports even though despised, despicable. Someone can be despised without being despicable. See the difference?

The point is the article is stupid, whether classified as despised or deserving of that regard.
I disagree that the article is stupid because of the classification. I believe it is stupid that BB is included in an article that is a list of despicable coaches. A lot of those coaches deserve inclusion, imo.
My additional point was success often breeds contempt, and people like Lombardi, once you get past the records, are traditionally not the most lovable characters in the eyes of people and fans of teams in their path.
I actually agree with you, and your point illustrates the difference in being "despised" and "deserving to be despised". I am a fan of Phillip Rivers. It is fair to say that he is "despised" by fans of other teams, or at least was-it might be changing. Doesn't mean he is "deserving to be despised".
It is the author's opinion, in this case an author associated with a style magazine. Call me crazy for not taking it too seriously.
The author's opinion was that BB belonged on a list of despicable coaches. We both agree that that is silly...or stupid. Not sure why you would think I would call you crazy for not taking it seriously.
Come to grips with the fact the national media does not love Belichick and likely never will
Funny, I never said differently.
The media assessment is not objective and is easily defeated if people actually considered the good stuff Belichick actually does that he does not generate press releases to publicize. But vanilla good side/bad side stories are not nearly as interesting as one sided presentations of villains and heroes. As such, Belichick the villain is the primary storyline.
This is pretty far off what my post was about. Within the context of the discussion, "despised" vs. "despicable", it is irrelevent. But to answer this point, you seem to be under the impression that because I clarified the difference between "despised" and "despicable", I disagreed with the rest of your post. I didn't, and in fact I'm sure that you did not wish to include "despicable" coaches in your "despised" successful coaches characterisation. Unless you are saying the end justifies the means or that success forgives despicable behavior (i.e. child molestation). I know that is not what you meant but it illustrates why the difference between "despised" and "despicable" is so important.

I can honestly say that I have never in my life read an GQ mag, I do not even know what kind of mag it is but by the looks of this it is a rag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back