PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Beisel is determined.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Patriots | Beisel adding muscle
Wed, 7 Jun 2006 11:45:05 -0700

Andy Hart, of Patriots.com, reports New England Patriots LB Monty Beisel has added nearly 10 pounds of muscle, which puts him around 250 pounds. Beisel hopes the extra weight will benefit him after he struggled in his first season with the Patriots. "Last year was a challenge, with how the season unfolded for me. It was frustrating. But it doesn't change (anything)," said Beisel, who is slated to be the starting inside linebacker next to LB Tedy Bruschi in the team's 3-4 defense. "For me, year in and year out, every off-season my job is to come back here and try to be the best I can be at what I want to do. ... I think I've put myself in a good position this offseason. Now it's just a matter of continuing to focus on the things that you can get better at."

I think Beisel is going to turn some heads this season. Seems like an intelligent guy and is doing whatever it takes to succeed in the Pats complex system. I think he's going to make major strides this year.

Ten pounds of muscle, plus going from 240 to 250, should make a difference.

re

I really, really hope so. I know I've been down on him all year, but if he somehow turns it all around, I'll be very happy to have been dead wrong about him.

I wonder how Hart knows Beisel is "slated" to the starting ILB next to Bruschi?
I thought that would be the case but there has been some debate here
about it. If true and Besiel doesn't lose his "slated" postion then that indicates
PATs starting LBs for 2006. End of debate.

Colvin - Beisel - Bruschi - Vrabel

that's it -- now just determine back ups and rotation.

Well, since I have very little choice in the matter, I will give the guy another go round. Hey sometimes you just gotta get back up on that horse.

I've read comments on here about how it takes a good 2 to 3 years to learn the pats defense. that could be part of beisel's problem. Sometimes he just looked plain weak though tackling. If the added weight and added experience both help even a little bit, he will be much better.

I'm still rooting for Claridge instead..I don't know why.

Also, since when is Monty "slated to be the starting ILB" next to #54? Did I miss something?

When you lock up with the first blocker you see every single time, you are simply no good in traffic. Adding muscle and learning the defense are obviously nice, but I am nowhere near believing there will be any improvement unless he is bounced outside or completely changes his style.

This would have been Chad Brown's second year in the system too, by the way. No one misses him, and he actually was a good linebacker for quite a while.

Last edited:
All this team needs from its linebackers is smart disciplined play. Adding another 10 lbs will help Beisel hold up better at the point of attack. Now if he has learned how to play his role and his gaps properly I think we should see a major improvement this season.

Many, many people on this board have written off Monte. I think that we need to see how he does this season before we give up on him.

If, for example, Claridge or Roache turn out to be the answer at ILB, Monte can then get into the rotation at OLB.

BTW, have you seen his wife!!!!!

Adding exta muscle will definitely help Monte, but the two words that need to become more instinctive to him are - initiate contact.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Monty will do a much better job this season. I think that last season was a shock to him. When he was signed last year I knew that he would have to adjust to the system. Now he has had the time to learn it. He should be ready this year. If not he's gone.

Monty

I thought Biesel, though he wasn't good, took the brunt of the blame for the defensive struggles. I thought he was a good tackler and he was pretty quick, however, he needs to learn how to read the play and shed blocks. He had to much of an "attack" mentality and took himself of plays. Playing next to Bruschi and getting a year under your belt will vastly improve his confidence and ability to play the run....I hope.

Anyone have any more pictures of his wife?

its rediculious how many pats fans have given up on monte. the funny part is most of the people giving up on him are speaking out of both sides of their mouths. they realize that it takes an ILB in belichicks defense 2-3 years to fully develop but after beisel registered in a sub par first year they want to give up on him. he played pretty well towards the end of the season though. theres no quick solution to the ILB position in our defense Beisel other than bruschi and vrabel is the closest to picking up the mlb position. thats why the havent adredded mlb in freeagency, they know that they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes