Welcome to PatsFans.com

Beisel and the new LBs coach...

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Seneschal2, May 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seneschal2

Seneschal2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

2. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +52 / 1 / -4

Beisel will be a new man in 2006! Look forward to it!
    Last edited: May 27, 2006
  3. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +60 / 2 / -0

4. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

5. Willie55

Willie55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Wasn't Loyd released this past week.
  6. JR4

JR4 In the Starting Line-up PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +32 / 3 / -2

I think you are right. I am not sure what he meant about doing something
    different this year to take advantage of his speed. Maybe they are addding
    a new twist to the LB playbook.
    Right now it looks like he will return to inside with Bruschi and Vrabel and Colvin
    outside (Unless someone beats him out in TC)
    But I think you are right, Biesel will be solid this year.
  7. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +173 / 2 / -1

#75 Jersey

Last night on NEST, Curran mentioned that the coaching staff seems to have confidence in both Biesel and Claridge.

To which Felger gave a snicker.
  8. Porco Rosso

Porco Rosso Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Beisel actually did quite well last year rotating with Bru and Vrabel, he's just not a starter at all.
  9. desi-patsfan

desi-patsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Biesel will have a much better year then last. Snicker all you want felger...i believe you were laughing when corey was signed here as well.
  10. pats1

pats1 Moderator PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Thursday. Mike must have forgotten...
  11. mcsully

mcsully Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 3 / -0

What team were u watching? I'm sure it wasn't the patriots.. Beisel stunk really bad last year.> LOoking lost many times and actually missing tackles..
    To me, his biggest problem was tackling..
  12. Mosi Moose

Mosi Moose Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I find myself pulling for Claridge at ILB or TBC at OLB to start. Something about Biesel just bugs me. I hope he can help the team in some capacity--even if it's as a pass rusher--but I don't see him starting.
  13. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

I agree with Porco, Beisel looked to be playing better at the end of the season when I watched tape, Dean Pees was reported to have said much the same a few weeks back.
  14. mcsully

mcsully Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 3 / -0

Seriously, I need to see some stats or a trained eye (sorry for the poke), I went to every game and they guy never appeared to be in the right position or when he was, he missed an open tackle.
    My belief is that he is nothing more than a backup and won't be around after this year ( I still feel he might not even make it out of Training camp).

Make me believe he'll be around> I'll be objective about it.. Provide stats, video or some proof to change my mind. I see a lot of posts about Beisel and his improvement. Never saw it during the ENTIRE year.. What makes people think this?
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2005
  15. rookBoston

rookBoston Rookie

Ratings:
    +49 / 2 / -0

#12 Jersey

When did Felger become a pompous ass? I remember thinking, at one point, that he was borderline legit.

Curran is still the cream of the crop, but thank god for Reiss.
  16. mcsully

mcsully Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 3 / -0

Here is my POINT OF VIEW:

1. From my time spent watching the Patriots, Beisel looked lost, a step behind and not athletic enough to make up for his inexperience..

2. D. PEE's has a new position and this is really his 1st challenge. There is no history of PEE turnign around a player

3. He comes for K.C. that was had a strong defense, he couldn't even start or break the lineup.

4. As the year went on, he played less, not more.. He wasn't even in the rotation a majority of the time.. And I believe the LBer named Chad played more than him at points in the year.

Just a few off the top of my head but if I hear a good argument, I'll change my tune and support him.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2005
  17. mcsully

mcsully Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 3 / -0

I've never been a big read of Curran but people have told me he really isn't that accurate.. Is that true? BTW Felger lost all credit with me when he reported Ted Washington was signed, sealed and delivered..
  18. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

When I break down tape, it is as objective as I can be, subject(ive) to my ignorance and Pats' bias :). I try not to get too wrapped up in stats, but look to see if I can figure out what a player's assignment was for that particular play, and how well each player did in their role and assignment.

You could be absolutely right about Beisel not making it out of Training Camp; however, what I saw watching tape was someone confused about what he was supposed to be doing on each play, spending too much time thinking. I also saw a player who was too light for the role he was thrust into. The first problem seemed to get better when they started using him alongside Bruschi and Vrabel, the second may get better this year.

BB has kept him on the team, I try to keep some objectivty about the players he chooses, an acknowledgment of our relative football knowledge. Vince Wilfork sucked for about 10 games last season, then they lined him up deeper and he started playing like the dominant NT we all drool about, I can give Monty a second year, like Vince needed. I also expect Dean Pees will do better as a Defensive Coordinator than Mangini did, Pees already has shown his ability to be more creative with his personnel when he talked BB into moving Hawkins to SS. Another reason to think positively about Monty improving or being used in a manner better suited to his talents.
  19. mcsully

mcsully Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 3 / -0

You have game tape of games to look at?
    Here is my counter to your points:
    Wilfork was a first round draft pick and after waiving Traylor, there was no one to take his spot. He showed flashes last year but you are right he became rock solid towards the end. Problem I see is that Wilfork showed flashes and was a #1 pick, Beisel is neither.
    Second, Pees history with Hawkins can not be compared to Beisel situation. Hawkins is a 8 year vet, who had no trouble learning his new position. He moved in, and did his job (not great but serviceable). Maybe Pees helped Hawkins along (is there proof???) but Beisel had the opprotunity and lost it.
    Teaching a person who is gets it is one thing, teaching another who has struggles is another (and more difficult, if even accomplished)..

What I agree with you, the added weight should help his tackling (if he gets to the position to make the tackle). I can recall so many times watching the games live at Gillette and seeing him get dragged by the ball carrier..
  20. b_btrick

b_btrick Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I tend to agree with box, he looked lost the first part of the year, as did the entire defense, and this shouldnt be seen as him being a bad player. No one, not wilson, samuel, gay or any of the rest of the defense looked solid the first half of last year. So it would seem to be wrong to hack on beisel for playing as badly as the rest of the defense did.
    In his defense, he was new to the team, the the scheme and to the position. And yes he did look terrible at times, but take a look at the db's and you will see that they looked terrible at times as well. At least beisel has an excuse.
    What box said about beisel thinking too much is probably right. At first he always seemed to be in the wrong place, but he was playing aggressively, just doing the wrong thing. When he slowed down, became less decisive, he was still in the wrong place because he was still trying to figure out where he was supposed to be and what he was supposed to be doing. This, imo, is the primary reasone his tackling was so bad. He was always trying to make up for his bad position and thus missing tackles.
    Toward the end of the year, with Teddy back in to guide him and help him with his reads and responsibilities (and to cover him when he messed up) beisel started to become more comfortable (at least thats what it looked like) and was where he was supposed to be. He also seemed to regain some of his aggressive attacking style that got him in so much trouble when he applied that in the wrong place.
    I'm not saying he will be great or even good, simply that the situation last year was bad for everyone (did anyone else get a feeling that we were back in 2002 watching what was going on for the defense that year?) even those that were supposed to be good, and that it wasnt the best situation to get a read on how well he can or will be in this defense. Hopefully, this year will be better and we will see if he can play or if he is going the way of starks and brown.
    Sorry for the long post, but it just seems unfair that everyone hack on this guy when no one on that defense looked very good untill it was solidified toward the end of the year and even then there were regulars that didnt live up to what was expected. It just seems that he should be given the same considerations they are given, at least for the upcoming training camp and if he makes it, season.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.