PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Before you start preparing for the Steelers

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't remember the "fog" game in 1996? That was a classic.

An absolute classic of epic proportions, at least when it comes to pre-dominance era playoff games for this team.

The fog game was classic.

Tebow is not that big of an issue against Pitt. 75% of the Bronco's offense is running, getting more than 100 yards on the ground against the Steelers is difficult, especially a team that is one dimensional like Denver.

Pitt's OL will make it a painful day for Roethlisberger, but they won't need a ton of points.

Tebow is not that big of an issue against Pitt. 75% of the Bronco's offense is running, getting more than 100 yards on the ground against the Steelers is difficult, especially a team that is one dimensional like Denver.

Pitt's OL will make it a painful day for Roethlisberger, but they won't need a ton of points.

true; but Tebow has to get back to not turning the ball over.

No Ryan Clark for the Steelers either.

Adam Schefter
Steelers S Ryan Clark won't play in Sunday's playoff game in Denver, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said today.

It's Tuesday. Can I start mentally preparing myself for the Steelers now?

Cincy has a rookie QB who has never been in the playoffs going on the road to face a D with a lot of pass rushers. It will be impressive to see him win under those circumstances.

Hard game to predict. Cincy's D isn't exactly chopped liver and Dalton is WAY better than Yates....Texans, Bengals....who knows.

Pitt V denver will be a joke. It would not shock me if Denver was shut out.

I think both of the AFC wild card games could go either way. 3 "rookie" QBs and a broken Rapist do not equal anything I feel confident in predicting other than I feel confident that we'll be facing the Ravens in the AFCCG.

I'm preparing for the Bengals. I don't see Hou winning that game despite their first ever home playoff game. Texans have lost their last 3 to Carolina, Indy and Tenn. Yikes! Bengals lost to the Ravens but at least they won the 2 before that.

You can't discount the fact that the Texans must be on a mental landslide. They went from most complete team in the AFC, sitting w/ the best record at 10-3, to playing w/o their top 2 QB's and their best defensive player and are now at 10-6.

Far from a lock but I like the Bengals in this one.

In regards to the PIT/DEN game--I think if DEN can somehow get back to playing their tough defense that got them through "Tebow time" they may have a shot at causing some disruption to a weak PIT offensive line.

As noted, Dumerville and Miller could get in Ben's face, and possibly force some decent pressure and a couple of turnovers.

The crowd will definitely be all over it, and as we all know weird things can happen in that thin air.

It will also be interesting to see if Tomlin allows Ryan Clark to play, as he has a condition that does not usually allow him to go to DEN in the thin air. It's at least worth keeping an eye on, as I haven't heard anything in regards to the situation as of yet.

What worries me though, it how PIT plays the Tebow card. Their defense is playing absolutely lights out. Not only do they shut down the run with a quickness, they also hold the NFL's #1 ranked pass defense, and Ike Taylor has really come into his own this year.

Pitt has a good Defense by the yards allowed stats. Some of that is from their offensive game plans, where they run a lot and burn clock and shorten the game.

Now Mendenhall at RB is now gone, so that clock burning will be removed somewhat. But their Pass Rush and sacks is as bad as ours was last season, which means terrible. Their total number of turnovers are atrocious, for both INTs and fumble recoveries. That is usually a sign of a slow and old team. That can't help in the thin air of Denver.

OTOH, their rush defense is good, and Denver relies on that. If Rothelesberger is hurting, it might be a possible upset.

Pitt has a good Defense by the yards allowed stats. Some of that is from their offensive game plans, where they run a lot and burn clock and shorten the game.

Now Mendenhall at RB is now gone, so that clock burning will be removed somewhat. But their Pass Rush and sacks is as bad as ours was last season, which means terrible. Their total number of turnovers are atrocious, for both INTs and fumble recoveries. That is usually a sign of a slow and old team. That can't help in the thin air of Denver.

OTOH, their rush defense is good, and Denver relies on that. If Rothelesberger is hurting, it might be a possible upset.

They're not the exact same stifling defense in some aspects, but in others they're even better than usual. Sure, they aren't getting as many turnovers, but they also have improved their pass defense on every level, now having the top unit in the NFL. That's something they really struggled in at times last year.

On a whole, they're giving up a total of 14 points a game (also 1st in the NFL)...that's absolutely insane, and another aspect of improvement from last yr.

With a very good rush defense, and a much improved pass defense they pose a real problem for Denver specifically (in my opinion). I'm not seeing anything close to an upset but you never know in the NFL.

I think they will still be a real pain in the ass for anyone who meets them, unfortunately.

That said, I also think that they have just as good as any other AFC team of losing too, however I don't think it will be to a team of 'lesser' talent like the Denver Broncos.

Last edited:
An absolute classic of epic proportions, at least when it comes to pre-dominance era playoff games for this team.

The fog game was classic.

Who could forget Curits Martin and his 180 yards with 3 TDs?

Patriots better prepare for Pittsburgh, that's who's coming.

thats a pretty cool stat, i think Tebow will give them all he's got + the steelers dont get alot of turn overs and if that game comes down to the last drive and Tebows got the ball they are winning

All he's got? Don't you mean like 46% of what he's got (his completion %)?
I would be surprised if Steelers don't get atleast 2-3 turnovers off Tebow (a strip sack and at least 1 INT).
I hate the NFL playoff format where a 12-4 team has to VISIT an 8-8 team. It is as bad as 11-5 Saints traveling to 7-9 Seattle.

I'd rather have Charlie Batch as a starter over Tim Tebow.

The Broncos will shock the Steelers and win 10-7

If the game is close. I also see Denver winning by a FG. If it's a blowout. That means that the Denver defense was not at the top of their game and Steelers win easily.

Big Ben isn't exactly setting the world on fire since his injury and Mendenhall is out. So I don't expect Pitt to put up huge offensive numbers either. It's really up to the defenses to dictate who wins this game.

Last edited:
Patriots better prepare for Pittsburgh, that's who's coming.

If the Texans can lose to the Colts when they were in the hunt for a first round bye if not a #1 seed, then they can surely lose to the Bengals.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see all four road teams win this weekend: Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, and Detroit.

Sure, I'll admit this means nothing towards this weekend's game, but still an interesting fact to share..

...since the NFL adopted the 4 division format in 2002, there have been four teams before this season to enter the NFL playoffs at 8-8 or worse. All four teams won their first round game.

2004 (8-8) Vikings win at Green Bay
2004 (8-8) Rams win at Seattle
2008 (8-8) Chargers win vs. Indianapolis
2010 (7-9) Seattle win vs. New Orleans

The 8-8 Denver Broncos will take on the Pittsburgh Steelers this weekend.

How many of those teams came in on a 3 game losing streak?

I hate the NFL playoff format where a 12-4 team has to VISIT an 8-8 team. It is as bad as 11-5 Saints traveling to 7-9 Seattle.

I like having meaningful division alignments. Everybody knows going into the season that to get a home playoff game you need to win your division. That adds even more luster to those games that are generally more intense anyway, giving familiarily, history, and (usually) geography.

It also gives hope to a rebuilding team: you do not have to contend for best in the league to be a factor, just take care of your neighborhood and you are rewarded.

It's quirky but it is simple and doesn't really need to be changed IMO, unless you want to eliminate division alignments altogether.

Every 8-8 to make the playoffs won their first round game. I love the sound of that.

I like the Tebows to win at home this week. God checked with Mrs. Kraft and she's all for it, too.

The Steelers are last in the AFC in turnovers and are playing a solid to good defense in Denver. Denver typically does not turn it over a lot, so a few breaks for the Broncos and the 7-6 rout is on.

The Steelers are tops against the pass and 8th against the run - very stout. The Broncos are the #1 rushing team in the NFL so if they can grind away and the defense can control a gimpy Roethlisberger and the backup RB, this one could keep the 8-8 streak alive.

Denver at Gillette in the Divisional Round? Sweet. That would be a nice tune-up for the AFC finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes