PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Before Jumping to Conclusions about Pats D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metaphors

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
By my (obviously subjective) view, about 25% of the minutes for Pats games this year occurred after the game had already been decided...meaning there was a chance for a comeback but it was highly improbable. During these non-competitive minutes, the Pats D gave up 35% of their total yards (they still rank 3rd) and 38% of their total points (they still rank 9th).

I don't know how you can effectively evaluate the Pats D when at least 25% of the data is "tainted". Do you think Belichick is going to put anything on the field (and on tape) that would be useful for future opponents during these times?

Besides the Dallas game (21 points against the D), the Pats gave up 7, 7, 7, 10, 10 and 7 points in the other games up to the point where the outcome was no longer is serious doubt.

So in my view, I don't think you can draw very many rock-solid conclusions about the Pats D except:
1) They are effective (7 blowout wins)
2) They get too many penalties (think they are bottom 10 in the league)

Clean up the penalties and get Seymour back at 100%. Other than that, I'm not sure I'm ready to judge the D one way or the other. Hopefully the upcoming opponents aren't able to effectively gauge them either.

By my (obviously subjective) view, about 25% of the minutes for Pats games this year occurred after the game had already been decided...meaning there was a chance for a comeback but it was highly improbable. During these non-competitive minutes, the Pats D gave up 35% of their total yards (they still rank 3rd) and 38% of their total points (they still rank 9th).

I don't know how you can effectively evaluate the Pats D when at least 25% of the data is "tainted". Do you think Belichick is going to put anything on the field (and on tape) that would be useful for future opponents during these times?

Besides the Dallas game (21 points against the D), the Pats gave up 7, 7, 7, 10, 10 and 7 points in the other games up to the point where the outcome was no longer is serious doubt.

So in my view, I don't think you can draw very many rock-solid conclusions about the Pats D except:

Clean up the penalties and get Seymour back at 100%. Other than that, I'm not sure I'm ready to judge the D one way or the other. Hopefully the upcoming opponents aren't able to effectively gauge them either.

Yes. NE's defense is predicated on mixing and matching coverages and rush packages and I'm sure that they have plenty of stuff on the shelf that they just haven't needed yet.

When I critique, it is with the love of a father who wants his genious son to actualize his massive potential. I admit that I am harder on them than I would be for their opponents, but I'm not about to change.

The defense is doing pretty good. We all merely want to compare it to this Offense, which isn't fair at all. I'm not worried one bit about our D and no one else should be either.

i think our D is almost as good as our Offense is...

they just take it two different ways...the O dominates on pure talent, the D on smarts as shown by differnt coverages and schemes

Our defense will be just fine. When we get into a real competative game, that's when I will really judge them. I really can't judge them when their offense is scoring ridiculous points. Defenses get real complacent when they have huge leads.

I'd agree with the initial post somewhat. I think it's gonna take a close game to really give us and indication, of just HOW GOOD or BAD our defense is. With the games effectively being decieded by the middle or later part of the 3rd...... All we see from then out is vanilla (both on O and D for the most part), with everyone going into that "no injuries, lets get the EFF outta here" mode.

That was certainly the case yesterday. Randell Gay said as much on Sirus a few minutes ago, by basically saying, we shut it down TOO MUCH in the 2nd half.

More good analysis, Metaphors. I, too, am not yet ready to judge the D...until November 4th.

The SF 49er's best defensive team ever didn't rank #1 during the season, but come playoff time, they only allowed something like 6 pts. on their way to winning the Super Bowl.

I KNOW we have a great D. Personally, I'm not concerned in the least. With Seymour coming back, I'd RATE our defense as the best in the league, bar none.

Hint: Defense only matters when you need it. They will need it vs. the Colts, so save your judgements until after Nov. 4th.

Judging the Patriot defense is occupying much of my free time after I exult over another 20+ point smokefest. A few points:

~Return of All-Pro lineman Seymour will snuff out a lot of those long runs. Still, going back to last year, I was disturbed in both the Colts and Chargers game by how overwhelmed our line looked--not to mention the backers--on certain runs. Watching Colts center Jeff Saturday bend Wilfork like a pretzel while Addai waltzed remains a disturbing image.

~ Adalius will do a lot to alleviate problems we had against the elite runners, and he has had some nice picks or knockdowns while covering tight ends or RB comign from the backfield. The big question is will our older linebackers hold up, given their average age is over 30? I say yes, but one injury could expose us to Dallas Clark in the seam again--basically uncoverable last year; arguably different this year with Adalius and Rodney helping.

Verdict: Still a top 3 defense, but red zone numbers must improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots