Welcome to PatsFans.com

Beer and the drinking thereof.

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by gomezcat, Dec 9, 2006.

1. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Per Mike's sugestion in the thread on the main board, about gametime food and drink, I'm starting this one.
    My favourite pub is the Ship in Croydon, South London. It has an alternative vibe, they play loud rock and punk, no one is judged by the way they look and they do some decent beers. Oh, and the chavs avoid it like the plague.
    My favourite beer would be something like Spitfire by Shepherd Neame, which is a brewery that is relatively local to where I currently live (i.e. the borders of Kent/ South East London).

2. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

There's a nice local brew pub that has their own on tap. Plus they carry about any beer imaginable in the bottle.

For the major brewers, I like Sam Adams Boston Ale. For some of the smaller ones, Smuttynose IPA, Steel Rail Pale, and Wachusett's Green Monster.

Mostly I like to drink my own concoctions. I brew a partial mash Amber Ale thats triple hopped. Usually hydrometers out around 9% alcohol and is best served slightly chilled to allow the aromas from the hops to fragrent the beer.

For the faint of heart, I brew a light ale thats a bit less intense.

3. nhpatsfan

nhpatsfan Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm a Sam fan. Also pick up Long Trail Ale when I drive through VT. Anyone had Alaskan Amber? Yum :)

4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Make my own 6-grain stout and a Sam Boston Lager type with friends. When I'm out, it's always Guiness. Best pub in Ireland is McGann's in Doolin, Clare. Best one in US is McSorley's in Manhattan-McSorley's Dark and Light-pellet stove in the middle-feels like 1875 in there. Why anyone would drink wine instead of beer is beyond me.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2006
  5. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +711 / 2 / -2

Disable Jersey

Just finding my way here in Cambridge, MA. Really enjoyed an evening in a bar called Shays near Harvard square. Excellent draft beers (but would you come all the way to the U.S. for Boddingtons?) and a nice little sunken terrace to look out at the world from.

http://www.harvardstudentagencies.com/ug/listing/default.asp?Category=Nightlife&ListingID=142

Back home, I'm not in love with any of the Oxford pubs (Inspector Morse viewers will have seen inside most of them!) as they are at present. But the Kings Arms is the Kings Arms. All human life is there! And they have Youngs beers, which I'm fond of.

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/21/2185/Kings_Arms/Oxford

[​IMG]

I have two favourite Dublin pubs: the Porterhouse, which brews its own beer and has the best Red beer I have ever drunk. In fact, if I could only drink one brewery's beer, it would be the Porterhouse's.

http://www.porterhousebrewco.com/templebar.html

Then there is the Cafe En Seine. I can't think of a better place to be on a Friday night. If you don't have a good time there, I fear that you aren't capable of having a good time at all ...

http://www.worldsbestbars.com/city/dublin/cafe-en-seine-dublin.htm

I'll be off to Berlin in January and will report back. The Kulturbrauerei in Prenzlauer Berg is a great place -- former brewery converted into theatre/galleries/bars/restaurants/nightclub.

Truth is, though, these days I spend more time thinking about how much I like bars and pubs than sitting in them ...

6. Mike the Brit

Ratings:
    +711 / 2 / -2

Disable Jersey

I was in the city this evening and ordered a Sam Adams Boston Ale with my dinner (spicy noodles). Very nice it was, too.

9% -- you're not kidding about it not being for the fainthearted. In general, that's me, although I like Duvel (which is probably around 8) and used to adore Courage's Imperial Russian Stout, which has now been discontinued.

Had a great bottle of Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout last night to console myself for being far from people I care about and generally feeling miserable. Cost $4.50 -- but it worked a treat!

7. shirtsleeve

shirtsleeve In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Funny thing is, when I brew that Amber, and I tap the keg, I suddenly find myself surrounded by fast friends with mugs in their hands....That brew goes over BIG with my fellow hop headed amateur alchemists. About 3 mugs full seems to impart a funny change of personality, though.;)

Glad you liked the Sam Adams Ale. Figured it'd be about as close as you could get to some of the fine ales back home.

8. CTPatsFan

CTPatsFan Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

With 4 kids under 9 and a relatively short-leash during football season, I don't make it out too often if it's not business related. There is a little, local dive-bar that everyone in town cuts their illegal & legal bar-hopping teeth on, The Olde Town Tavern, that I make it to a few times a year. Everytime I go, not matter what night of the week it happens to be, I see the same people sitting in the same spots. And I don't think they're working on the same schedule as me.

I'm not beer snob, I'll drink just about anything you give me, but I've always been a Sam Adams fan since the day they introduced me to beer with flavor. Not flavored beer, mind you, I'm not a fan of their Winter Lager, Summer Ale, Cranberry Lambic or Old Fezziwig (or anyone else's). You can give me anything else from their line and I'm a happy man. When the pants get too tight, their Light is a pretty decent beer. I've been drinking a lot of it lately. ;)

You can't beat local micro's though (unless you have the time, energy, ambition and attention to detail to brew your own-I have none of the aforementioned qualities). My favorite brewery is the Olde Burnside Brewing Co. in E. Hartford, CT. Their standard is Ten Penny Ale which is a Scottish Ale style. Some other notables by them is their Dirty Penny, which is a Black & Tan style, and their Highland Piper Tartan Ale, a chocolate oatmeal stout. They do defile their list with the Highland Fling Spring Ale which has some evil fruity quality to it. I guess enough people like fruits and spices in their beers to offer them. Just keep them away from my glass.

Cool post. I look forward to reading about everyone's favorites.

9. gomezcat

gomezcat It's SIR Moderator to you Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I do like Sam Adams. It's the only one of the good American beers that I have tried, but I'm more than willing to try any others when we do finally get over the Pond.

10. Clonamery

Clonamery PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -1

Sam Adams is the only mass (quantity, not region) produced American beer that I care for....I'll try any micro beer at least once. But I find myself drinking Smithwicks, Harp, Boddington withan an occassional stout (Murphy's or Beamish).

11. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

There's a package store (That's a store in Massachusetts that sells beer, wine and other alcoholic beverages. For the non-locals) down the street from me that is as large as a supermarket. They sell every alcoholic drink you can think of and have 100s of kinds of beer and ales. I like this one:
    [​IMG]

But, alas at 41 it's tough enough to keep the belly reasonably flat. So I haven't had a beer in quite a while. Maybe I'll get some of these for Christmas.

12. CTPatsFan

CTPatsFan Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Hell Michael, at 37 it's nearly impossible! So I gave up the fight :)

'Tis the season to eat, drink and be merry. Don't hold back!

13. milwaukeebeers44

milwaukeebeers44 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Smithwick's is AMAZING. I visited the brewery when I was in Ireland. It's tough to find over here in the states, but luckily I've found a store that carries it.

My fav pub there was John Benny's in Dingle. Though I did enjoy Gogarty's in Dublin because of the rowdy drunk locals there the night of the marathon.

When I'm feeling cheap, I'll drink Amstel.

14. DropKick

DropKick On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My favorite bar is Deluxe Cafe in the South End. This is a hole in the wall, blasting very loud music. The wall uses album covers (LP, 12" records for those who aren't old farts) as wallpaper. For the most part, Punk Rock bands from the 80's, but if you look hard enough, you can find just about anything.

No surprise, they carry my favorite beer on tap, locally brewed (vs. just locally named) Tremont Ale.

15. Mike the Brit

Ratings:
    +711 / 2 / -2

Disable Jersey

So you got to go drinking in Dublin! How was the marathon? (I guess the fact that you survived is a matter for congratulation!)

Actually, I don't know why you say Amstel is "cheap". Proper Amsterdam Amstel used to be a pretty good drink (I remember being allowed to drink it in the bar of an overnight ferry from Hull to Rotterdam when I was sixteen or so -- a good memory!) I know it's brewed elsewhere as well. Is there a second-rate American version?

16. Clonamery

Clonamery PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -1

We should all be so lucky.

Congrats on a great race.

17. milwaukeebeers44

milwaukeebeers44 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thanks! The marathon was fantastic. Ireland is lovely and Dublin was a pretty city. The crowd was fantastic. Here's me with my Smithwicks and my medal right after the race:

[​IMG]

I say Amstel is "cheap" compared to Smithwick's. I pay about $2 more per six pack here for Smithwicks, which I do prefer. It's also harder to find, but that stuff has become nectar of the Gods to me.

The one thing I was disappointed about was the inability to get any Smithwick's gear. Even over there, everything was Guinness Guinness Guinnes- they didn't even really promote Harp at all, either. Do you guys know where we could find some?

I also did enjoy the occasional Bullimer's cider!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
  18. italia44

italia44 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I've had a lot of different beers in my 56 years,but somehow,I always come back to two:

Bass Ale......which is served way too cold in America

And I always come back to old # 33:

Rolling Rock,the FORMER pride of Latrobe,Pa

Great Foamy head for an American beer.

Take it from me boys,You can NEVER have too

much head.

19. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

What a great pic (or should I say snap?). :)

20. Mike the Brit

Ratings:
    +711 / 2 / -2

Disable Jersey

Yes, what a marvellous photo! That's a really well earned smile.

By coincidence I had an Amstel two nights ago. It was pretty characterless, but I didn't look on the bottle to see where it came from.

Gomez, do you (or anyone else) know if Smithwick's is a keg or a real ale?