Welcome to PatsFans.com

Beer and the Drinking Thereof (in the White House)

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Mike the Brit, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +206 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

"The three men and Vice President Biden ate peanuts and pretzels as they sipped beers at an outdoor table set up steps from the Oval Office. Obama drank a Bud Light, Gates a Sam Adams Light, Crowley a Blue Moon and Biden a non-alcoholic Buckler." USA Today

OK, who wins? Definitely not Obama (is that the only beer he's ever heard of?) If you want a light beer, Sam Adams is a decent choice. I've never had a Buckler, but the trusty interweb thingy tells me it's a Heineken brand, considered so uncool in Holland that Heineken don't sell it there! But actually I think drinking low/no alcohol beer can be cool. On a hot day, beer can be very refreshing without the alcohol. Some of them are fairly disgusting (anyone remember Kaliber?) but I had a Flensburger no-alcohol in the summer that was very good and went nicely with my Wiener Schnitzel. (Are there any mean rumours that Biden has a GWB-style issue with drink?) I remember Blue Moon as a pretty decent wheat beer, but perhaps I'm making that up. But, if I'm right, I'll score it: Obama, Gates, Biden and Crowley.
  2. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I tried non-alcholic beer once. It tasted like water. Only at $6 a six pack. That's why I drink seltzer water with lime. It's like a non-alcholic Corona at 1/4 the price. I hate to side with that pompous ass but, Sam Adams has it all over the other choices. Even if it is light. Although I am being a little unfair in my assessment since I 've never had a Blue Moon. I think Obama just went with the Bud to further his act of being a regular "working class" guy. Who went to Harvard and is POTUS.
  3. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +206 / 2 / -0

Disable Jersey

I had a closer look at one of the photos and Crowley's beer is definitely cloudy and it looks like it might have a slice in it, which suggests that it is a wheat beer. Good choice. (You're probably right about Obama. But from what little I've seen in Cambridge, if you go to Harvard and want to pretend you're a regular working-class guy you go for Pabst Blue Ribbon.)
  4. SmokeShowin

SmokeShowin Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

Crowley wins with the Blue Moon and an orange slice.
  5. Scouse Patriot

Scouse Patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I had a bottle of Becks non-alcoholic before. Wasn't too bad....