PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Been thinking of a scenario for 2010....

Status
Not open for further replies.

BritPat

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Hear me out first of all.

Right, I've been chatting elsewhere about next year, and I was talking about targets in the Draft and how much harder it is to get value and get the guys that fit the scheme nowadays with so many teams playing 3-4, and I might have talked myself into a certain line of thought. In fact I'm convinced of it.

Go to the 4-3 full time.

Drafts like this are becoming more frequent with huge amounts of value in terms of 4-3 spot candidates, and it's becoming so hard to find proper fits for the 3-4. Look at Tyson Jackson last year - he had no business going in the top 20, yet went third overall. Would that have happened 5-10 years ago? Not a chance.

Going to the 4-3 allows you to pick some real offensive playmakers in the first round, and still get top quality in the second round (look at the Colts who could potentially get their LT and someone like Alualu in rounds one and two this year), and value later. It also helps when FA comes around and the number of 4-3 players far outweighs those that fit for the 3-4.

So, what I propose is - trade Ty Warren to the Broncos for their #11 pick, which leaves you free to draft Dez Bryant. Then, trade down from #22, maybe swap with the Chargers and take their third round pick, draft someone like Jerry Hughes, then you can go DB, DT, RB (or whatever you fancy) in round, and then BPA in the third and beyond.

Imagine a first two days that consisted of:

#11 - WR - Dez Bryant
#28 - DE - Jerry Hughes
#44 - CB - Devin McCourty
#47 - RB - Ben Tate
#53 - DT - Tyson Alualu
#91 - OC - Matt Tennant

I'd be doing cartwheels.

Thoughts? (please be gentle :))

Last edited:
Why would we pick a WR at 11 overall, and better yet, why would any team give up a pick as high as the 11 overall for Ty Warren?

I'd be shocked if we got the 11th pick in the 3rd round for Warren. Anyone insane enough to give up a 1st roundpick for Warren should be fired on the spot. They guy is constantly hurt or injured and is paid way to much. This trade rivals some of the crazy ones DWToys puts out there.

Last edited:
I'd be shocked if we got the 11th pick in the 3rd round for Warren. Anyone insane enough to give up a 1st roundpick for Warren should be fired on the spot. They guy is constantly hurt or injured and is paid way to much. This trade rivals some of the crazy ones DWToys puts out there.

7 games in 7 years != "constantly hurt or injured."

7 games in 7 years != "constantly hurt or injured."

I don't know, it seems to me that Warren is on the injury report almost as much as Brady.

Last edited:

I heard the author of this post out and I regret it. Guy is probably one of those that was upset that the Pats passed on David Terrell and drafted some kid named Richard Seymour instead.

I don't know, it seems to me that Warren is on the injury report almost as much as Brady.

exactly my point. How often do we hear that Warren was not playing at 100%. I like the guy and think he is a gamer, toughens out alot of games some would sit out. But he is not worth a 1st round pick, certainly not the 11th overall.

2 weeks ago, I thought there was a real good change we could switch to the 4-3. Now I think the chances are very remote. The reason being is that we have resigned VW and TBC - both are better for the 3-4. Had we gotten a guy like Peppers or Kampman, 4-3 would have been in the making.

With regard to your draft:

Hate Dez Bryant at 11. Would rather go for any of the following (Morgan, Haden, Earl Thomas, Spiller, McClain).
Like Hughes, but he's just as much of a 34 OLB as a 43 DE.
McCourty - wish we didn't have to draft another CB, but we might need to.
Tate at 47 is a HUGE reach. I don't see him being an upgrade over any of our RBs. Would rather go TE here, or another OLB like Misi.
Like the Alualu pick. But again, he can play either front.
Tennat - not too crazy about spending a 3rd rounder on a developmental C when we've already got 3 on the roster. Would rather grab Moeaki here.

Hear me out first of all.

Right, I've been chatting elsewhere about next year, and I was talking about targets in the Draft and how much harder it is to get value and get the guys that fit the scheme nowadays with so many teams playing 3-4, and I might have talked myself into a certain line of thought. In fact I'm convinced of it.

Go to the 4-3 full time.

Drafts like this are becoming more frequent with huge amounts of value in terms of 4-3 spot candidates, and it's becoming so hard to find proper fits for the 3-4. Look at Tyson Jackson last year - he had no business going in the top 20, yet went third overall. Would that have happened 5-10 years ago? Not a chance.

Going to the 4-3 allows you to pick some real offensive playmakers in the first round, and still get top quality in the second round (look at the Colts who could potentially get their LT and someone like Alualu in rounds one and two this year), and value later. It also helps when FA comes around and the number of 4-3 players far outweighs those that fit for the 3-4.

So, what I propose is - trade Ty Warren to the Broncos for their #11 pick, which leaves you free to draft Dez Bryant. Then, trade down from #22, maybe swap with the Chargers and take their third round pick, draft someone like Jerry Hughes, then you can go DB, DT, RB (or whatever you fancy) in round, and then BPA in the third and beyond.

Imagine a first two days that consisted of:

#11 - WR - Dez Bryant
#28 - DE - Jerry Hughes
#44 - CB - Devin McCourty
#47 - RB - Ben Tate
#53 - DT - Tyson Alualu
#91 - OC - Matt Tennant

I'd be doing cartwheels.

Thoughts? (please be gentle :))

I don't buy it. I just don't see BB switching his scheme permanently to a 4-3 defense. He might occassionally give 4-3 front looks to confuse the QB or maybe on obvious passing downs, but it won't be enough of a percentage of the snaps to invest heavily in 4-3 defensive players.

The number of suitable 3-4 players for OLB might be small, but they are proportionately in less demand. Sure there are a few more 3-4 teams this time around, but there are still far more 4-3 teams, and thus more competition for the pool of 4-3 players.

As for the mock, I don't have a beef with the guys you select, but I don't see any way that Dez Bryant lasts untill pick 11. Plus the Pats simply don't draft receivers that early.

Last edited:
I heard the author of this post out and I regret it. Guy is probably one of those that was upset that the Pats passed on David Terrell and drafted some kid named Richard Seymour instead.

Yeah, wonderful input :rolleyes:

Nice to see the idea has sparked so much interest. Oh well, I tried :(

Bryant has now asked out of his Pro Day, he did not work out at the combine, he has played ONE football game in the last year. He is quickly moving himself out of the first round. I wouuld cry if the Pats traded Warren away to draft him............

If I was looking for a DE for a 3-4, I might look to Dallas' RFA's - Spears, Hatcher and Bowen - who are all starter quality and would cost significantly less than #11 in the draft. In fact, perhaps we should consider one of them.

I think you are under the impression that college football has remained status quo with the increase in the pro 3-4. I am certain coaches that have worked at the pro level in one job or another are carrying it back to college. These football factories differentiate technique for DL in recruiting athletes. There are an appropriate amount of athletes at every position, it choosing the right players for the right position on the right team that makes all the difference....not the defensive alignment.

Good effort:). I don't think anyone would give up anything close to a 1st for Warren unfortunately. If this were Madden though, you could probably do it. Too bad it isnt :p

I don't really want any part of Dez Bryant. If we were planning to take a WR early, I'd rather take Arrelious Benn. I like the Ben Tate pick.

I don't see BB going to the 4-3 full time. I think he stays with the 3-4 but I think he he starts getting a little more aggressive. I like the fact that he's taken over the reigns full time on defense. I'm really excited to see what he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back