Welcome to PatsFans.com

Bedwetting liberal doctors

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Wildo7, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

http://www.reuters.com/article/heal...edType=RSS&feedName=healthNews&rpc=22&sp=true

Doctors support universal health care: survey
    Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:14pm EDT

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - More than half of U.S. doctors now favor switching to a national health care plan and fewer than a third oppose the idea, according to a survey published on Monday.

The survey suggests that opinions have changed substantially since the last survey in 2002 and as the country debates serious changes to the health care system.

Of more than 2,000 doctors surveyed, 59 percent said they support legislation to establish a national health insurance program, while 32 percent said they opposed it, researchers reported in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine.

The 2002 survey found that 49 percent of physicians supported national health insurance and 40 percent opposed it.
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

It makes sense.. they want to get paid, a partial insurance payment is better than no payment at all..
  3. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I'd like to see the actualy survey but for some reason I can't find it.

Rueters has a habit of making things up.
  4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

Our medical system is a mess. My doctor with 2-1/2 nurses handles 4,000 patients. My last doctor switched to an elite service where, for an extra $1500/year, his patients get extra attention and what I'll call courtesy services. I don't like Obama or Clinton's health plans because they basically cave into the insurance industry, which is not needed or useful in a national health care solution.

Have you seen Michael Moore's Sicko? A few minutes of it is over the top (such as the scenes that take place in Cuba), but most of it is really convincing. (One guy without insurance lost two fingers in a construction accident and he could only afford to have one re-attached.) As his film points out, in countries with national health care, even conservatives wouldn't think of getting rid of it.
  5. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

HUH? If a guy is working contruction then his employer should have worker's comp. I love how people make sh!t look a certain way when it shouldn't.

Doctor$ want to get paid. It's ea$ier to care for people who have in$urance than it i$ to take in the unin$ured who cost the ho$pital$, and the government, money. Anyone who'$ $een a government run health $y$tem fir$t hand would never, ever, want to be a part of one.
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  6. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

That got me thinking so i looked up to see if my policy would cover that. It's a good policy. If you lose a leg they help you look for it! :D
  7. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I love that certain peoples answer for everything is to give the government yet more power.

We can basically establish that the government fu(ks up everything it tries to do...yet let's throw more power and money at it! That'll fix the problem!

YEE-HAA!
  8. Patters

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

I think insurers in this country are way too powerful, thus the absurd design of Clinton and Obama's health care plans. (Nonetheless, what they propose is far better than nothing.) The government doesn't screw up any more than small or big business or institutions screw up. If the failure rate among all Americans is, say, 3-4%, then the government likely has a 3-4% failure rate. There's no rational reason to think otherwise. For me it's common sense, and as I see it you have bought into piece of political nonsense.
  9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Utter BS. If a business ran a deficit for 60 years they wouldn't still be in business. How you can say stuff like that is mind boggling.
  10. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

You took the words out of my mouth.

Patters loves government for some reason.
  11. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +106 / 7 / -10

So let's see the gov screws up healthcare.

(see the regulations about what insurers have to do, the inflation rate of health care since medicare was invented as opposed to before medicare and the lack of tort reform/ the cost of liability ins for doctors.)

And the solution is..... MORE GOVERNMENT!!!!!! Brillant, not.

Sorta like giving a teen a bottle of jack daniels, the keys to the ferrari and telling him to have a good time. :rolleyes:
  12. Patters

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

Many businesses operate at losses for long periods of time and take out large loans. (Ever heard of the bond market?) Our government operates in much the same way, and obviously has good enough credit to keep on borrowing. Thus, the financial sector apparently disagrees with you.

I would also add that, even considering structural weaknesses of big government, the fact that it is vastly more open than private enterprise makes it more difficult for it to achieve the levels of corruption and ineptitude that you fear. If the right believes the government is inept, it just needs to produce evidence. The worst evidence I see is a billion here and billion there (missing in Iraq), a tiny percent of the federal government, certainly no worse than private enterprise.
  13. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Why didn't Bob Kraft want to use taxpayer dollars to fund his new stadium (therefore opening up the building process to a whole lot more red tape)?

During Katrina/Rita, who was first to provide people with certain basics, food water, plywood etc? Would that be Home Depot and Wal-Mart or was that FEMA and the rest of the government?

I'll wait while you google it to find the answer, and then I'll wait some more while you google it to find a way to spin it lefty.
  14. Patters

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

Yeah, Katrina was big news. It's FEMA's biggest failure ever and it happened under a seemingly disinterested president who appointed a fool to head up FEMA. Normally, FEMA does a pretty good job. And the vast majority of team owners gladly take taxpayer money. Kraft was an exception. (As I already said, if Americans have a failure rate of 3-4% then it's only logical to assume the government would have the same failure rate. Both private enterprise and government are made up of people like all of us.)
  15. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Great job!

You manage to essentially completely ignore the question posed to you, AND still blame GWB for it! Gold star from Mikey Moore for you!

And no, it's not logical to assume the same failure rate for "government" as the the private sector, by the way.

I wonder if you can figure out why....

BTW--are you really this naive and a lover of bigger and bigger government, or is this just something you put on so as to generate some argument/debate? The reason I ask is that even my most lib friends don't like or trust big government as much as you seem to.
  16. Patters

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

You're still not responding to my main point that the government is made up of Americans and if Americans have a 3-4% failure rate, why would government be worse and what evidence do you have of that? For every Katrina (which was absolutely awful), there's a Vytorin, lender going bankrupt, auto company experiencing record losses, or scandal involving a mutual fund.
  17. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

The bottom line is that Republicans (and democrats) with ties to the health insurance industry, along with other big businesses have been purpetuating the fear of "big government" for years. Any program, despite it's capability, will be undermined and deliberately ruined by those who see it as taking away from possible profit. They ruin every social program they can and then they turn around and say "see, big government doesn't work" and make everyone scared of this evil bureaucracy that just wants power over your lives. Why would providing health insurance to the currently uninsured mean "more power for the government?" It's total BS statements like that that will keep this country divided.
  18. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

So because Republicans who want to privatize everything anyway appoint a former Arabian horse-racing commissioner as FEMA chief, then move FEMA under DHS and totally gut it by filling it with inept cronies, that is supposed to mean that "big government" doesn't work. Oh that's right, Katrina was a huge "success" for everyone because of wal-mart and home-depot. What a joke. How much do you want to bet the outcome would be different if FEMA was run by someone who actually cared about it's success and funded by people who didn't have an agenda in seeing it fail.
  19. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Funny how these monumental failures of government programs seem to happen under republican administrations.
  20. Patters

Ratings:
    +141 / 1 / -4

In all fairness, considering Republican disdain for government, you can't expect them to have any idea of how to run government.