PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard Tweet: Light and Patriots hope to reach agreement today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patspsycho

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Bedard tweets that a contract is in the work between the Patriots and Matt Light and that an agreement will hopefully be reached today.

Best kind of UFA to sign this off season is generally one of your own...

Light surely isn't as good as he once was but I hope we leave room to get Mankin's locked up long term before he hits the market next year.

No question, this year more than any other. Even so, I'm a little surprised Light would choose to return to a situation where he's keeping the chair warm for a hotshot rookie. Maybe the market wasn't so eager for him.

Regardless, glad to have him back. The OT roster looks terrific.

This.

The Light signing is surprising to me - but I won't turn it down. I think it's a huge step, actually. As much as I want Solder to be a stud, it's too much to rely on him this early.

Going into the offseason, OL was a bit of a question mark with so many pieces up in the air. Re-signing Light means we can cut Kaczur, if we want, save some money, and still have a rock solid OL.

Last edited:
Always thought there was little chance Light was going to leave. He wanted to stay. The Pats want to keep him.

Love it. There was no guarantee Solder would be ready for primetime right off the bat with a shortened preseason. This lets the Pats ease him in, and not run the risk of having to play Kazcur of Levoir week 1 if Solder needed more time.

Now lock up Mankins.

This is good insurance until Solder is ready. And it likely keeps Kaczur off the field.

I expect Deus is pleased.

Last edited:
Light surely isn't as good as he once was but I hope we leave room to get Mankin's locked up long term before he hits the market next year.
True, but a long term contract with Mankins will actually create more cap space rather than use more of it up.

Although signing Mankins to a long term deal is a priority, the Pats have until September 20 to make that happen. Any free agents they want or need have to be signed first, before they focus on Mankins' deal. Unless or until the Pats hit the cap limit the immediate urgency is on free agents, not Mankins.

Last edited:
The final piece. The Pats are gonna be sick this year.

This is good news. Matt has been much meligned on this board. He goes against the top pass rushers in the NFL every single week and in my opinion did a good job last year. Plus he's a good run blocker.

It remains to be seen of SeaBass or Solder can do better job. Unless they can, then TFB's blind side is of the utmost importance and Matt has proven to be able to do a good job.

It all starts in the trenches and with Light and Haynesworth, our trenches has gotten a whole lot stronger..

Matt Light might have to adapt, but he seems like a guy who could and a guy I would want on my team..

This will mean it allows Solder to develop for a season! So while he isn't as good, it's a good move for Solder's develop :D

Expect some more cuts shortly to free up cap $$$$....

Who will be the next FA signing from another team?

It all starts in the trenches and with Light and Haynesworth, our trenches has gotten a whole lot stronger..

Matt Light might have to adapt, but he seems like a guy who could and a guy I would want on my team..

Did you mean Fat Albert?

That Brady guy is taking up a whole bunch of cap money

:bricks:

Yeah, get rid of him and see if we can trade for that Castle fellow from Kansas City :rolleyes:

No question, this year more than any other. Even so, I'm a little surprised Light would choose to return to a situation where he's keeping the chair warm for a hotshot rookie. Maybe the market wasn't so eager for him.

Regardless, glad to have him back. The OT roster looks terrific.

He's 33 and already said he wants to be here. Maybe the market for his services wasn't what some have speculated or maybe he pulled a Bruschi and just flat out took less to stay.

He can play LT until Solder is ready, whether that be week 1, week 10 or next year. When Solder is ready, move Light inside to RG. Connolly can move from RG to C if his play warrants it and Cannon can get healthy. Kaczur may be on the way out if Light signs.

I would expect the contract to be a 1 or 2 year contract for around $4 million a year.

Vollmer, Solder, Light, Mankins, Cannon, Koppen, Connolly, maybe Kaczur, Wendell maybe Maneri or Yeatman turn into something. That's pretty good depth.

Oh yeah, Ohrnberger too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes