PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard: Part of me Wouldn't Be Surprised if They Cut Vereen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another move I was thinking of was that they retain (for example) Ebert on the roster until after game 1 and then cut him for Gaffney, because at that point the PS squad for most teams are set, and Ebert is a lot less at risk for being claimed off waivers than at this point or on Friday.

Yup - I think that could be a part of it. That would be my speculation as well. Especially given Gaffney isn't ready to contribute with an injury.

But again - your theory on the evolution of this offense could be spot on and might turn out to be the cause of the cuts. In which case, I'll feel better about the Gaffney cut specifically. As long as Belichick has a plan and this is part of the plan, I'm not disappointed. If its a matter of Gaffney simply couldn't contribute and does not suffice in this offense, leaving us with a hole, that would be a disappointment.

Last edited:
Rapoport was better than Bedard IMO

I really liked that guy,despite working for the Herald :snob:

Last edited:
This. I think that BB has evolved to the point where TEs + "Flexbacks" > WRs. Guys like Vereen, Woodhead and Demps can be moved around including moved into the slot or split out wide (Demps obviously has yet to show receiving skills, but I'm fairly sure we'll see this kind of use of him in the future). The TEs can block in pass protection or run protection, and Gronk and Hernandez are obviously elite receiving threats. I've been calling more for integrating the running and passing games and involving the RBs more in the passing game for awhile now, and I think that BB has reached the point where those kind of guys offer more versatility and fit with the TE-based offense than additional backup WRs.

Excellent point.

Now let's add the complementary component to RB's going out for passes with the fact that two of our RECEIVERS can actually shift into the backfield and CARRY the ball too, and have reportedly been working on it more in TC this year. Edelman and Hernandez.

Could this be the wrinkle McDaniels is cooking up? The Swiss Army Knife Offense of runners and receivers?

Last edited:
BB = Hooded

Quick strike = Cobra

The Hooded Cobra offense....God, I'm so pathetic...

five-head-cobra-3.jpg

This. I think that BB has evolved to the point where TEs + "Flexbacks" > WRs. Guys like Vereen, Woodhead and Demps can be moved around including moved into the slot or split out wide (Demps obviously has yet to show receiving skills, but I'm fairly sure we'll see this kind of use of him in the future). The TEs can block in pass protection or run protection, and Gronk and Hernandez are obviously elite receiving threats. I've been calling more for integrating the running and passing games and involving the RBs more in the passing game for awhile now, and I think that BB has reached the point where those kind of guys offer more versatility and fit with the TE-based offense than additional backup WRs.
I suspect that Bill Belichick has become enamored with his new toy, Jeff Demps.

Now let's add the complementary component to RB's going out for passes with the fact that two of our RECEIVERS can actually shift into the backfield and CARRY the ball too, and have reportedly been working on it more in TC this year. Edelman and Hernandez.

Could this be the wrinkle McDaniels is cooking up? The Swiss Army Knife Offense of runners and receivers?

BB = Hooded

Quick strike = Cobra

The Hooded Cobra offense....
five-head-cobra-3.jpg

The "Wild Cobra" offense?

In today's Globe there was a similar piece on the roster, stating that he wouldn't be surprised by a release of Woodhead as well. That was based on Woodhead's absence from special teams, where Bolden plays on three of the units.

Given current status of the WR corps, I still think five RB is more likely, but there's always a surprise over Labor Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back