PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Bedard: Part of me Wouldn't Be Surprised if They Cut Vereen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Bedard: Wouldn't Be Shocked if Vereen Cut

If you really think that before I tweet something that I'm thinking about what the reaction will be, then that's false.
First off, thanks for your quality coverage of the New England Patriots.

On Twitter, I really view it like I'm having a conversation with my readers, as if we're at a bar or something. I say what's on my mind, and whatever the reaction is, it is. I don't worry about it.
Plenty of that goes on the PatsFans message board between posters.

I personally would love to keep all five, and I would if it were my team. But look at other places you would cut. I don't see it at WR. TE would be the spot, but $400k is a lot of cake to eat on Shiancoe.
Disagree wholeheartedly on the Shiancoe situation. $400k is chump change compared to the dead money cap hits of Ochocinco and Fanene.

The offensive line is about as thin as you can make it.
Sebastien Vollmer's back may be the key factor on whether the New England Patriots return to the Super Bowl. Brian Waters sighting recently? Bueller ... Bueller ... Anyone?

Re: Bedard: "Part of me wouldn't Be Surprised if Vereen Cut"

I would trade Danny Woodhead for a quality backup swing tackle, if one is to be had. Short of the aforementioned scenario, I sincerely doubt the New England Patriots would cut Danny Woodhead.
Tip, your problem there is that "quality swing tackles" aren't easy to find. If they were the Jets would have one. ;)....or any RT for that matter.

Re: Bedard: "Part of Me Wouldn't Be Surprised if Vereen Cut"

Third Nipple?

Never underestimate the versatility of the third nipple.

Never underestimate the versatity of the third nipple.

fixed it for you

If you really think that before I tweet something that I'm thinking about what the reaction will be, then that's false.

On Twitter, I really view it like I'm having a conversation with my readers, as if we're at a bar or something. I say what's on my mind, and whatever the reaction is, it is. I don't worry about it.

I personally would love to keep all five, and I would if it were my team. But look at other places you would cut. I don't see it at WR. TE would be the spot, but $400k is a lot of cake to eat on Shiancoe. The offensive line is about as thin as you can make it.

The secondary is pretty set, although I don't know what they think between Cole and Dennard. Figure it's one or the other. The linebackers, they love those guys for special teams. The defense line is not real heavy, and I have heard they really like Francis.

So where do you cut?

Start compiling a 46-man active roster. Then look hard at the special team units against the Buccaneers. That has always been one of the biggest tip-offs to eventual roster spots. I touted Jeff Tarpinian as a guy headed to the 53-man roster last year. Why? Because he was all over special teams, and he did end up making the final roster.

That doesn't work every time, but just wanted to give you an idea of how I go about doing those things.

Greg - doesn't the experience factor weigh heavily in Woodhead's favor, given the complexity of the NE offense (especially the no huddle)?

Tip, your problem there is that "quality swing tackles" aren't easy to find. If they were the Jets would have one. ;)....or any RT for that matter.
The NY Jets are run by Mike Tannenbaum.

Mike Tannenbaum = a legend in his own mind

I personally would love to keep all five, and I would if it were my team. But look at other places you would cut. I don't see it at WR. TE would be the spot, but $400k is a lot of cake to eat on Shiancoe. The offensive line is about as thin as you can make it.

That's a sunk cost though, in much the same way that once a player is drafted, BB doesn't use draft position heavily when determining whether to keep a player or cut him.

My only concern would be that the Rats would snap up Shiancoe.

The NY Jets are run by Mike Tannenbaum.

Mike Tannenbaum = a legend in his own mind
Tannenbaum is a legend in my mind. His proficiency at providing comedy acts is at an all time high.

Last edited:

I can see how the Patriots would be able to do it (see my earlier post), but I don't think it will happen, either. I think Bolden's more likely to get the axe.
I agree. Bolden has looked terrible in the passing game. Vereen on the other hand has not.

I love the evolution of what this thread was to what it just became

Vereen has shown plenty. I like him much better than Woodhead, he is quicker, faster and bigger. He also looks more natural catching the ball and running routes.

Well bigger and stronger anyway. Woody times out quicker and much faster.

Vereen: 10.6s 100m, 4.49s 40y, 1.56s 10y, 4.28s ss, 34" vert

Woodhead: 10.5s 100m, 4.38s 40y, 1.44s 10y, 4.2s ss, 38" vert

"Looks more natural" is likely your key quote , and perhaps explains why you might find the above surprising.

Not to mention that Woodhead still holds 8 all-time NCAA records.

To my eyes, Vereen has a long ways to show he can perform in the NFL at this level:

Danny Woodhead - 2010/2011 Season - Official Highlights - YouTube

Seems to me more likely Woodhead regains this form than Vereen achieves it.

Bedard is just completely out of the loop this year, so far he has suggest cutting Vereen, Cunningham and Bequette..

Vereen had a great preseason game, was on the rise before he banged up is ankle. Furthermore we just cut Gaffney and Stallworth and cutting Vereen would just further deplete our receiving game.

After seeing Gaffney and Stallworth both getting cut, I'm thinking the Pats will carry four TE's and five RB's; with only five WRs: Welker, Lloyd, Branch, Edelman, Slater.

I'm not sure why they'd cut Vereen or Woodhead. Like it or not, Woodhead is their best pass blocker, for starters. And who knows, maybe he improves that until it's a point of strength. If he were better at that and more reliable as a receiver, he'd be Faulk 2.0.

After seeing Gaffney and Stallworth both getting cut, I'm thinking the Pats will carry four TE's and five RB's; with only five WRs: Welker, Lloyd, Branch, Edelman, Slater.
I disagree upon four tight ends especially since Shiancoe can't even make it to the practice field.

Offense

QB - 3
RB - 5
TE - 3
WR - 5
OL - 9

Total - 25

Never underestimate the versatility of the third nipple.

It worked for Priscilla Barnes in "Mallrats".

It worked for Priscilla Barnes in "Mallrats".

I gotta admit...I NEVER saw this post coming

d%#*!@t, can't Connolly or Wendell learn to long-snap?

Long snappers are like third nipples.

Maybe BB has a thing for third nipples? :eek: :D

So you're saying Woodhead is the linchpin in the effectiveness of the no-huddle?

No, merely that he's the only back that's actually done it in "real" game-time situations.

No offense but have you been watching any of the pre season games? I think vereen has shown a lot of GOOD stuff out there! He was able to make something out of the NOTHING that the horrible OL gave him and get some positive yards. The guy can catch it out of backfield too.....I would think he would stick somewhere here.
Only big issue it seems like with this guy is being able to stay healthy....
QUOTE=Armchair Quarterback;3118493]Vereen has not proven he is better than Woodhead as a 3rd down back.
Vereen has not proven he could be a starting RB.
Vereen has not shown anywhere near the explosion that Demps has shown in one game.

I see nothing about his running that makes him special in any way. Maybe it translated to the college game better. Almost like a slower, smaller version of Maroney.

It would be surprising only based on his draft status and being in his 2nd year.

Bolden looks like more of a NFL RB to me than Vereen does.[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye